Does anyone add heat protectant to their conditioner before flat ironing?

davisbr88

Hi, everyone!
I was just wondering if it'd be a good idea to add a heat protectant to my conditioner before flat ironing. I would DC overnight the night before (I plan to use a protein DC with a ceramide oil mixed in next time since a plain moisture DC didn't work out), shampoo with a moisture poo in the morning, and then add a moisture condish for a few minutes while I take a shower. Would anyone recommend adding a heat protectant to the moisture condish? I don't blow-dry so I would air-dry afterwards in some sort of stretched style, and then flat iron. (I'd still use a serum while flat ironing btw) Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'm trying to perfect my technique so I am considering trying a few different things since my hair seems to puff up pretty quickly and I want to be able to wear my hair straight for at least a week.

JuiceMobsta

I know there was a recent thread about adding serums to your DC or your condish for added moisture/detangling, etc. :)

davisbr88

^^ Oops.... I must have missed it! I haven't been logging on as much as I used to so I haven't been perusing the board as much. Let me check it out!

MissHoney26

I tried it once and it is good prior to flat ironing imo. I think the silicones help lock the moisture from the dc in and when you flat iron your hair will feel silky :lick:

Nonie

I am with LunadeMiel. I understand how adding a serum can make hair detangle more easily coz cones in conditioners and products do coat hair strands to make them more slippery and they don't rinse off easily. But when it comes to HEAT PROTECTANTS, I believe they work better when used unadulterated. Usually when people mix products or use too many, their hair straightening experience usually doesn't turn out as well as those who use the same protectant/serum alone (minimal products) and get good results. The story is usually the same "You used too many products".

If you take a heat protectant and mix it with your conditioner, you are basically diluting the heat protectant with conditioner...so that instead of it coating your hair fully so that your hair fully protected, there are "gaps that were filled by conditioner" which are left exposed. You rinse it off...and it (the protectant) probably washes off, even if the conditioner leaves a smooth coating on your hair. So you're left with very well conditioned hair that has no protectant left on it. And even if there was a protectant that didn't wash off...the fact that you applied it to hair with something else might make it not adhere to your hair as well as the manufacturers wanted it to.

I say stick to the directions given on the protectant and don't try to be adventurous or clever--unless you're not too worried about having to start over again with a TWA should this backfire on you.

Nonie

davisbr88, Instead of experimenting with something you're not sure about, there are conditioners that are heat protectants and I personally use one prior to using another TWO protectants (yes, two!) during my flatironing. I believe in being safer than sorry so I don't just lean on the conditioning protectant. The conditioner I use before pressing my hair is CHI Infra Thermal Protective Treatment.

CHI Infra Treatment with Cationic Hydration Interlink is a superior moisturizing and protective conditioning treatment. Hair will be left with the proper balance of moisture for silky manageable hair with incredible shine every time.

Features

• Thermal protective treatment
  • Cationic Hydration Interlink softens and balances hair, locking in moisture
  • Reconstructs the inner structure of the hair
  • Improves strength and the elasticity
  • Adds manageability and shine
  • Can be used every day
  • Made in USA

Directions

After shampooing hair with CHI Infra Shampoo, apply generous amount of CHI Infra Treatment and work into the hair evenly. Leave on hair for 2 to 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
Source

Misshairdiva

Two words: Lok & Block by sabino.(google it online) I dont know why you would want to rinse the protectant out, but I have been getting Dominican blowouts for two years using this product and it works!!!

davisbr88

I wouldn't be using it as my heat protectant. I'd still use an additional heat protectant but I thought that somehow the cones would help with moisture sealing or something like MissHoney26 said. My heat protectant is made up of 2 cones, so that's why I asked.
Nonie: Thanks for posting the Chi treatment. I'm not trying to buy anything new but I will look into it.
Misshairdiva: I must be the only person in the world that Sabino didn't work for. My hair STILL ended up puffy and fro'd up after I used it.

Nonie

I wouldn't be using it as my heat protectant. I'd still use an additional heat protectant but I thought that somehow the cones would help with moisture sealing or something like MissHoney26 said. My heat protectant is made up of 2 cones, so that's why I asked.
Nonie: Thanks for posting the Chi treatment. I'm not trying to buy anything new but I will look into it.
Misshairdiva: I must be the only person in the world that Sabino didn't work for. My hair STILL ended up puffy and fro'd up after I used it.

davisbr88 You might be right, but you have to remember too that some conditioners are not just meant to coat the hair but actually add moisture to the hair "internally" so that the hair doesn't just FEEL smooth on the surface but is actually soft due to strands having been well moisturized on the inside.

Unless you're using a cheap conditioner that doesn't really serve your hair well, I'd be afraid that mixing with a cone might seal your hair and prevent the moisture that is supposed to penetrate your strands from getting in.

Call me a chicken, but I always feel as if products serve me best when I use them the way they were intended to be used. You can certainly discover new things by experimentation, but I say when in doubt, listen to the experts.

Sabino is considered one of the best moisture sealants after a press, and it is interesting that it doesn't have a long list of ingredients. Why? Because someone realized less is more. I have found that to be true when it comes to a lot of things in life. If your conditioner is not making the mark, don't buy it again when it runs out. Find those threads that discuss the conditioners that give the best slip and try another. And use your protectant as directed. If you want to use a serum as a seal, you can do so after you rinse conditioner. John Frieda is my favorite serum and when I first discovered it, the instructions were to apply it to damp hair. I'd let my relaxed hair dry with the serum over it, and then when I'd use a curling iron to smooth it out, my hair'd be so soft and have swing. I believe the serum sealed the moisture in. So I think you could use it like that instead of adding it to your conditioner. That's what I'd do anyway.

davisbr88

Nonie: Thanks for your post. I thought you were supposed to use Sabino WHILE pressing, so maybe that's why it didn't work for me. I wasn't intending to add it for slip. I really have no trouble with tangles or anything. I wanted to use it solely because I thought it would lock moisture in since I couldn't understand why my hair poofed up so much the very next day even though I did a deep moisture treatment overnight and used plenty of Sabino. Anyway, I will definitely try adding the Sabino right after I rinse out my conditioner and then just press when it dries.

Nonie

Nonie: Thanks for your post. I thought you were supposed to use Sabino WHILE pressing, so maybe that's why it didn't work for me. I wasn't intending to add it for slip. I really have no trouble with tangles or anything. I wanted to use it solely because I thought it would lock moisture in since I couldn't understand why my hair poofed up so much the very next day even though I did a deep moisture treatment overnight and used plenty of Sabino. Anyway, I will definitely try adding the Sabino right after I rinse out my conditioner and then just press when it dries.

davisbr88 Yes, Sabino is indeed for pressing (I'm sorry if I confused you) and for sealing out humidity so your hair doesn't poof. When it hasn't worked for people, I believe it's because they applied so many other things before it, so that it didn't adhere to the hair well, or they were not very meticulous applying it to their hair.

I haven't used it myself because I'm a John Frieda gal, but I believe that if you applied it to damp hair making sure to apply to narrow sections so that there's no inch of your hair left uncovered, then you pressed it, you might get a better, long-lasting press. When I flat-iron my hair, I apply protectant to bare hair and I get a smooth press that lasts until I wash my hair.

davisbr88

Nonie: THANK YOU! I will definitely be trying that. Just adding it meticulously to my hair and going from there. I appreciate the advice! You always come through!

Nonie

Nonie: THANK YOU! I will definitely be trying that. Just adding it meticulously to my hair and going from there. I appreciate the advice! You always come through!

davisbr88 You're welcome. Please review WestNDNbeauty's thread on a perm-like press because if you can DC well beforehand so that your hair is not crying for moisture, then you will feel more comfortable applying Sabino to just bare hair--and you will really be sealing in moisture which will have been captured during conditioning. The consensus seems to be that what you do before you begin pressing (like deep conditioning well) usually determines how good a press you'll get, rather than what you do during the pressing (like adding 1971937297 products to your hair). If you then add the idea of working on narrow sections which have been carefully Sabino'd (new word :p) I think you will be very happy with your hair.

Last edited:

davisbr88

^^ Lol @ "Sabino'd."
The last time I pressed, I did utilize her method and for one, my hair didn't come out all that straight to begin with and then as soon as I set foot outside, it went POOF!
So I'm not sure what I did wrong, but what you suggested is what I'm trying next. I just consider it a trial and error process. That's why I've been asking so many questions to see where I can improve/to get other people's experiences.