Just got off the phone with CURVE, and I'm pissed! They charge you for everything!

Blacktresses

Re: Just got off the phone with CURVE, and I'm pissed! They charge you for everything

I've been lurkin on this thread cuz I was thinking about [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SILKENING[/FONT]. YES...IT IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! HOWEVER, consider this...how many stylists would you have to visit before you would be happy with your hair (trim/color)? I AM NOT DEFENDING THE SALON. I just lookin a both sides...rent, eletricity, products, advertisements, models, taking pics of customers, website development, creating albums with services...I think it should be $300 for everything (silkening, cut, color, products for the customer) @ best!!!

Not every stylist knows how to handle curly hair. Be aware of that !!!:eek: You know how we talk about stylist that does a great job and then on the next visit to them, they totally mess up your hair. Who in this forum wants to start over with above shoulder length hair :confused: I know I wouldn't. But then again, there is no guarantee that they (Curve) will do it correctly either :whyme:

zora

They're full of crap. I can't stand those folks. Their prices are supposed to be a la carte anyway.

mermaid

crlsweetie912 said:
I must be doing something wrong, cause I can't imagine in my WILDEST dreams spending $5-700 dollars on a salon visit.
Totally, lol!!
I buy my haircolor at RiteAid- on sale, with a coupon!!:lol:

Belladonna

Re: Just got off the phone with CURVE, and I'm pissed! They charge you for everything

ayanapooh said:
Wow ladies. :eek: Just got off the phone with Devachan, and they have an appointment when I'll be in town. Their color starts at $120, and the lady said it will go up to $300 at the VERY most, and that's if he (Antonio, the colorist) does something extensive, like lift my base color. They apply ribbons of color right on your curls in its natural state, she called it hair painting. I really like the sound of this salon. I mean, I wanted to support my people, but CURVE sounds like highway robbery! :driver: I'll be going to Devachan for sure! :yep:

Don't forget to take pictures!

Super_Hero_Girl

I said it in the last thread and I still have this view.....

If people are willing to fork over that much money, then they aren't being expolited. Curve just has good business sense. The demand for their services is high and they are simply using good ecomonics skills to make a profit from it. As long as people are willing to pay they, can set their prices as they please. Although, it's not curve's prices that turn me off, but their neverending kinks to curls bias. But that's another story.

Also, there are many other "high end" salons that charge high prices for weaves and extentions, among other services. I see little difference, just different services. If you're willing to part with the money, there will always be a salon to take it. Just make sure that you get the services that you want.

ayanapooh said:
Then she had the nerve to tell me that there would be an additional $150 or more charge for my styling! WTF? I was like, what do you mean? She said, well, if you get shingling, a twist out, coil out, spiral set, or anything like that, it will be extra. I told that I didn't want my hair shingled or set, or anything like that. I explained to her that all I usually do is add my styling products, in my case a little mousse or gel, shake my hair, and let it air dry. She was like, I don't think they'll let you walk out with color only, and no style. I told her I don't mind them finishing my hair, I obviously don't expect to walk out with sopping wet, freshly colored hair. I really wasn't trying to be difficult, but I didn't think I needed an actual styling service. I asked her if they could just add some curly pudding and allow my hair to air dry. She was like sure, that still falls under finger styling, and it will be at least an extra $150

Nonethelesss, this part bothers me, especially the bold. I've read where many people, on a prominent natural hair board, go to salons and do exactly what you wanted to do, Ayanapooh. They get their color or cut (whatever) done, either their products or salon products are added and they leave with a shake n' go. Lots of the ladies that do this are "no heat" ladies and wouldn't sit under a dryer for most styles. So this process is neccesary to them. It seems unreasonable for a stylist to require that you be styled and make you pay for it and finger stylin at that! If a customer doesn't want it, it seems absurd to try to force them to do it. What happened to customer satisfaction!!???!! But then again it is about the dollar in the end ....

ETA: Glad you found a place that is willing to work with you Ayanapooh. I hope it turns out well and your natural hair is gorgeous by the way.

secretdiamond

Zeal said:
Then they are going to tell you that it is against health policy, and they have to wash your hair. :mad:

Don't forget your scissors

Girl, it's funny you said that. I was looking at my scissors today, contemplating bringing them with me. But I'm thinking she will be offended and think I'm a hair snob (although I am now ;))

Lucia

dimpalz said:
they market themselves too they're just like the rest; money-hungry and all out for themelves! Once that "silkener" is up in them women's hair, their a$$ belongs to curve

You said it, $700 that's a round trip ticket to Paris and back with a stop over in Madrid. dangg they might as well stop you on a corner and say give me all your money.

Last edited:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Dang!!! :eek: Sounds like they need a lot of help paying their NY rent. That's outrageous!!! :nono:

caligirl

Lucia said:
dangg they might as well stop you on a corner and say give me all your money.

stop! rotflmao!

Tene

I think you should try out devachan since they're cheaper plus someone on naturallycurly.com gave them a good review.

Lucia

Ayanapoo said:
I wanted to support my people, but CURVE sounds like highway robbery! I'll be going to Devachan for sure!

Hey support is one thing, letting your wallet get jacked while they serve you cookies and tea is another.

Tene said:
I think you should try out devachan since they're cheaper plus someone on naturallycurly.com gave them a good review.
Some ladies form LHC go there and Midnightcurls recently gave them a very good review.

Last edited:

curlilocs

Tene said:

I agree, I've heard good things about Devachan.

P

patient1

Well, at least going to Curve is optional. Anyone who pays those prices do so by choice. I think they're catering to those with disposable income: upper middle class, upper class, etc. For some, even many, paying that price every couple of months wouldn't be a big deal.

We have the choice of going there or not, being "exploited" or not. If I were making about 250,000 per year and had a DESIRE to use their services, I'd pay and wouldn't trip.

Right now I'm about 200,000 short. LOL!

I wonder if Lisa Price (from Carol's Daughter) goes there. Her hair has that signature Curve look.

p1

p.s. I wouldn't let them take my pic afterwards either, I'd keep my Curvaceousness on the low.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

Wow. I'll never go to that Curve salon.:eek: Their prices sre ridiculous!:mad: I understand it's a business and all, but dang!:lol:

Soleado

Like someone else said, I cannot get mad at them for getting their hustle on. However, ain't no way I am paying an additional $150 dollars for styling. I use their products and I have never done the shingling thing only fingerstyling and that is a 3-5 minute job. I think their clients may fall into three different categories: those who are in the upper or upper middle class salary range who can afford their prices easily, those who only go to them maybe once or twice a year, and those who may be eating top ramen so they can afford those prices.

Well, at least they are upfront about it versus you going there and thinking it is all including in the coloring.