Curve Salon reviews?

atl_mulattamami

Has anyone been to Curve Salon? How was the customer service? Did they do a good job? How much did it cost? I'm planning on visiting NY after I graduate and was thinking about getting their Angle/Balance cut because by then my hair will be close to the length I'm growing it out to.

For any who have had the Angle/Balance cut how has it worked out for you?

balisi

I've never been there, but I have seen mixed reviews on various websites. I'm sure you're aware that the services are not cheap too. I wanted to go there myself for their angle + balance hair cut, but for the price decided I could achieve a similar look on my own when I BC'd. I'm very happy with my results.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I don't get why so many people want to go to Curve salon. It is an expensive texturizer- they call it a silkener and they use chemicals to do it. I forget wheteher it is lye or no lye. I read it here somewhere. I am w/ Balisi. You can prob do a better job yourself for a chaeper price. Hope all goes well, whatever you choose. :)

asummertyme

im wondering b/c i dont want to do my 1st tex. myself...i dont want to screw it up and under process my hair or overprocess...yes it is expensive but if i see it done 1x i may be able to duplicate it and do touch up's myself...but i want it done right..if i could find a place that does it cheaper or even a kit, that someone else used and could give me a step my step as to how its done to the tee...lead me to it..

lydc

cookie507 said:
Has anyone been to Curve Salon? How was the customer service? Did they do a good job? How much did it cost? I'm planning on visiting NY after I graduate and was thinking about getting their Angle/Balance cut because by then my hair will be close to the length I'm growing it out to.

For any who have had the Angle/Balance cut how has it worked out for you?

Hi,

I've been to Curve a number of times and have had a variety of services. The angle and balance cut... hmm, how can I break it down. If your hairdresser, blows out your hair and ensures that all sides are even that's an angle and balance cut, the only exception is that Miko creates angles on the side with a razor and then uses a scissors for other sections. They are very nice, very professional, expect to be there a long time though. The salon is beautiful, umm let's see what else, the prices are freaking high BUT if you are getting a service other than a haircut to me it's worth it. I loved the cut the first time that I had it done, it made styling a breeze and I loved the shape, as it grew out, I didn't like it as much because while my hair looked great in a wash n go, if I decided to wear twists then it looked funny. IMO their cuts are made for folks who are interested in wearing their hair out only (unless you have a certain length or texture). I think what I appreciate the most from Curve is their attentiveness, when they are working on you, the concentration is on you... period. I have another hairdresser who I love, she does a remarkable job and is really cheap but I spend long hours at her salon because she yaps way too much with other patrons, stylists, etc. Anyhoo, I don't want to make this into a novel but between the two sisters, Titi is a doll. Miko is nice but when you hear of "attitude" from the salon, more than likely it's coming from her, however, I hope that doesn't scare you away, in general she's nice. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me and I hope that I've answered everything.

Oh one more thing, in regards to the silkener. Although Curve made the name pretty and it's just another name for a texturizer, everything is about the timing. I would rather trust someone who spends their time doing this day in and day out then leaving it say myself to do. That's something to consider especially when it's your first time and your hair is of a certain length.

atl_mulattamami

noooo i dont want a texturizer...i understand that even if i did it would be cheaper to do it on my own...

what im interested in is the angle balance cutting method...thats really all i would be going there for is to get my natural hair cut in a shape that flatters my face and hair...

is it really true that the cut will look good with both straight and curly hair?

thanks for posting the review...i know its expensive but if you dont mind could you post the price of the angle balance cut?

atl_mulattamami

oh thank you! i use the entire Pantene R&N line, rarely use heat, CW daily and shampoo and deep condition once a week...thats about it for me:)

deirja maxine

I received a 5/8 appointment at Curve Salon as a 1st Mother's Day present from the hubby. I received a cut (angle and balance), a full head of highlights and shingling (I am 100% natural) to the tune of $634. My friend had an appointment about 1 month prior and she got the silkener. The service was great and I love my hair. Both Miko and Titi (Miko colored and Titi shingled) were kind and had answers to all of my questions. While I was there I viewed different women with different types and lengths of hair getting twistouts, blowouts and coil outs, all beautiful.

I would not go back. I memorized everything that I was done to my hair that with the exception of the highlights and now I feel talented enough to handle the stuff on top of my head so that there really isn't a need to go back, unless I want to blow another $634 just for the heck of it ;) .

deirja maxine

Oh please, like I said I won't be going back. It was just a nice experience, that's all. I think that every woman deserves to be pampered at least once in her life and for me that was it (for 2005 anyway ;) ).

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
deirja maxine said:
I received a 5/8 appointment at Curve Salon as a 1st Mother's Day present from the hubby. I received a cut (angle and balance), a full head of highlights and shingling (I am 100% natural) to the tune of $634. My friend had an appointment about 1 month prior and she got the silkener. The service was great and I love my hair. Both Miko and Titi (Miko colored and Titi shingled) were kind and had answers to all of my questions. While I was there I viewed different women with different types and lengths of hair getting twistouts, blowouts and coil outs, all beautiful.

I would not go back. I memorized everything that I was done to my hair that with the exception of the highlights and now I feel talented enough to handle the stuff on top of my head so that there really isn't a need to go back, unless I want to blow another $634 just for the heck of it ;) .

634$ :eek: And I thot my hubby was the bomb when he got me a Maxiglide! :lol:
Yow! You got a good hubby! :lol: Anyhow, I wanted to thank you for your shingling tips on another thread. My hair is banging now, thanx to your shingling instructions! :notworthy

mkstar826

supersonic
deirja maxine said:
Oh please, like I said I won't be going back. It was just a nice experience, that's all. I think that every woman deserves to be pampered at least once in her life and for me that was it (for 2005 anyway ;) ).

no one is knocking your for it. glad you had a great time and got pampered. :)

like i said those prices are crazy. just an opinion *shrugs*

SUPER SWEET

600 is outrageous! They need to be arrested for doing that.

Does anyone know is a mild relaxer the same as a texturizer?

Nenah

Dig way deep $$$$$$ I did want to go before I decided to relax last year but just her attitude over the phone turned me off guess it was Miko:perplexed anyway I'm glad I didn't $600

Queenie

asummertyme said:
im wondering b/c i dont want to do my 1st tex. myself...i dont want to screw it up and under process my hair or overprocess...yes it is expensive but if i see it done 1x i may be able to duplicate it and do touch up's myself...but i want it done right..if i could find a place that does it cheaper or even a kit, that someone else used and could give me a step my step as to how its done to the tee...lead me to it..

I think that den1's album gives tips.

I do my own too. Try doing a strand test to see how your hair will look. Have you ever self relaxed? It's the same process but you need it move quicker to keep you curls the same all over.

ThursdayGirl

classimami713 said:
Gee, I'm thinking $600+ could buy clothes, shoes, a vacation, trip to a spa, etc. But hair? No friggin way.

That's exactly what I was thinking... that's a car payment and half of a house payment! Your husband must really really really love you! :D

asummertyme

well i cant afford those prices but i am thinking about doing it myself...i jst cat pay over 600 dollars for my hair, i wish i could affors it though..thier results are stellar..anyhoo i am thinking texturize in sections..1st the back then the front..that way i can time it just right...now i need to figure out what relaxer i can use...maybe a vigorol..that is suppoed to be super gentle...i wll do a search on it...

ThursdayGirl

asummertyme said:
well i cant afford those prices but i am thinking about doing it myself...i jst cat pay over 600 dollars for my hair, i wish i could affors it though..thier results are stellar..anyhoo i am thinking texturize in sections..1st the back then the front..that way i can time it just right...now i need to figure out what relaxer i can use...maybe a vigorol..that is suppoed to be super gentle...i wll do a search on it...

Vigorol isn't super gentle, actually... I heard it can be quite drying. I have known quite a few people to be underprocessed with it. You may want to select a different chemical.

Ntrlmystik

You can also look into Ouidad's salon. The link is: http://www.ouidad.com/salon_locator/salon_detail.asp?salon_id=K7VPUL1A38BL8HMLD293HDGWAX3QE0BB

Her stylists are excellents at providing a good shape for kinky/curly hair.They have a technique too; its called carving and slicing. I am not sure abouth the price difference in other services but I know the cut is about $135.00 and more if u want Ouidad herself. I had a friend who went and they did a great job. I would go but I am waiting until my natural hair hits my shoulders first. Look into it.