Does your stylist charge a length charge? (kinda long)

simplyhair

My stylist of three years moved away this summer. She was a doll at dusting my ends and understood my hair goals...I could even bring my own relaxers.

Once she moved, I set out to find a new stylist. I found one and setup an interview back in September. At the interview, I wore my hair in curls from bantu knots. She pulled one of the curls to see just how long my hair was. She agreed that she wasn't going to charge me a "length" charge.

My first relaxer with her went well and she styled it beautifully. At my second visit for a relaxer, she had to stop mixing the relaxer because she was checking out my length. She claimed that my hair had grown a lot. She was in such shock. I told her no and that she just hadn't seen my hair in a while. She disagreed and claimed it had grown a lot since my last touch up. Well, once she touch my new growth, she believed she was right anyway.

After this last touch, NOW she is going to charge me a length charge PLUS $10 for clipped ends. I already knew about the $10 clip but NOW she wants to charge me a length charge. She couldn't tell what she was going to charge for the length. She wasn't sure and I guess she would have to think about it and let me know.

The stylist that moved away didn't charge a length charge because my hair grew with her. So, she just worked with length as it grew. I am a very loyal customer. I always stay with my stylist (when they're good) unless they move or I move away.

Now, I know it can be a challenge and possible headache when a client is almost waist length plus a ton of super packed new growth. But should I sit still and be loyal?

BTW, she is not the swiftest with time. She is typically late to the appointments (even when she did my mom...won't even go there) plus she is slow period. And that is with just one client in the shop.

Unfortunately, I am 40 minutes to hour away just from the west or south side of Chicago so my options out in rural farm land is limited.

naturalmanenyc

Have you considered self relaxing? There are tons of threads on this site about how to do it....and practicing with conditioner. Before I decided to go natural, I read a few of those threads and planned to self relax.

ETA: Yes, I have been to Dominican salons in NYC that charge based on length. Short hair is like $15 for a W&S while APL is $20 and BSL is $25 and so on.

chokolate miss

well i guess the logic makes sense-the more hair that you have the more work she will have to put in.

however, no matter what anyone else's stylist does, if this is something that you are not comfortable with then maybe you should find someone else to do your hair.

Mizani_Mrs

Mostly all salons do charge more for long hair. If you go to Haircuttery they have a chart where u can see the APL length is an extra $5, then BSL is $8, etc etc. So i will say that it's fair. My stylist is technically supposed to charge me extra, but he never does...

I know it sucks to be paying extra for long hair, but if she does a good job, you are satisfied, and you trust her with relaxing/clipping your hair, then consider yourself lucky. i'd rather pay her the xtra money, than to find someone who is cheaper but i can't trust with my hair. I'm sure you can bargain with her if it's too much. As long as it's no more than maybe $10 - $12 for the extra charge, I'd be cool. and it just MIGHT affect my generous tip (im just sayin)....

blue_flower

When I used to go to salons, they would charge a length charge. I thought they had a lot of nerve. It's not like a bunch of long-haired women went to those particular salons to get their hair done. I never saw one whenever I went. The stylists I went to didn't even know how to do or handle long hair. Hopefully, you can find a better stylist somewhere else.

naturalgurl

Yep, most salons I know of charge by the length and some by thickness. When they see me coming their eyes light up with dollar signs.

loolalooh

Hmm ... I must've been away from salons for too long. I never knew some charged a length charge (outside of for braid extensions).

Kacie

Since you're waist length, I can understand the stylist instituting an extra charge. ITA if you're happy with her, then stay cause it's too hard to find a good stylist.

Starian

That's why I stopped going to stylists like talking about...

I'd see a price quoted like $45 for relaxer and then when they see my hair it jumps to $90...:rolleyes: Put that on the sign then. Damn swindlers. I refuse to pay $55 for a roller set. That was when I was a bit below APL. I'd hate to see what the going price for WL is now.

I don't even mind paying extra if they know what they are doing, but if they are sheisty with the pricing and adding all these charges after the fact, then I don't even trust them anymore after the initial consultation.

That's why I do my own head. Everyone should at least know the basics. If you can flatiron and roller set, you don't need a stylist. I only relax every 6 months or so so I don't mind shelling out that 100+ bucks then. Now I have to learn to do that myself since there is a good chance I'll be overseas(husband is military) in the next 3 months.

Lucky's Mom

LAWD LAWD...:rolleyes: the "long Hair" charge.

Do you ladies know that this CRAP only happens in Black Salons????

:nono::nono: My mom and I went to a salon in Redondo Beach. The woman who did our hair is Filipino....But her hubby is Black, So - we were in good hands....:lachen:
Anyhoo - She owns an upscale salon... For my hair ( SL at the time) and my mom's hair (TailBone at the time) it was 150.00

NO Difference..:look:..150.00..... All the White women in the Shop had different lengths.... and paid the same - unless they had color, etc....
The Chi Treatment ( this was like 2005 )was ONE price.

Black Folks have gone crazy... and that is PRECISELY why I do my own and my mom's hair. No other black person can touch my mom's hair....:nono:they will charge her a fortune... And I guess now - they would charge me one too....

These Shops will never see me.

Lucky's Mom

That's why I stopped going to stylists like talking about...

I'd see a price quoted like $45 for relaxer and then when they see my hair it jumps to $90...:rolleyes: Put that on the sign then. Damn swindlers. I refuse to pay $55 for a roller set. That was when I was a bit below APL. I'd hate to see what the going price for WL is now.

I don't even mind paying extra if they know what they are doing, but if they are sheisty with the pricing and adding all these charges after the fact, then I don't even trust them anymore after the initial consultation.

That's why I do my own head. Everyone should at least know the basics. If you can flatiron and roller set, you don't need a stylist. I only relax every 6 months or so so I don't mind shelling out that 100+ bucks then. Now I have to learn to do that myself since there is a good chance I'll be overseas(husband is military) in the next 3 months.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:They would Die.... Seeing this Stuff on my head. "that will be 100.00 for a rollerset":ohwell:

leona2025

Man I was quoted 45 for a wash and flat iron. Then when I got there she charged me 80. I knew that was gonna be the case because the moment I sat in her chair took my bun down she start saying ohhh you got that thick hair. I didn't know it was this long. RoRo come look at this girl hair. Hair like this genetic.:rolleyes: