Just Added Pics in Yahoo Album

Armyqt

The pics are of my newgrowth. I would like to get all opinions. OK. I'm trying to go 3 months with this relaxer. Right now I'm at 7 weeks. I'm not ready to relax yet but it may seem like my hair needs it. Before I cave in and get the relaxer, I'd like to know how u ladies who go 3mos and more manage the two textures w/out getting any breakage. I really, really want to wait until Dec. because I'm trying to get to brastrap by then. Also, at what point (weeks) do everyone's hair start to look like this. Any and all responses are welcomed. Thanx in advance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wow, that's a lot of growth! In just 7 weeks? Does your hair normally grow this fast? Do you take any vitamins? Are you having any breakage at all? If you can wait, that's great. It would normally take me 3 months to get that much growth. By that point I would definately have to relax it because I would get a lot of breakage. Your hair is beautifull.

Have a blessed day!!

Hey Pebbles, thanks for your response. Yes my hair usually grows at this rate. I am taking vitamins right now, but I just started about 2 weeks ago. I take biotin, EPO, pantothenic acid and MSM. That's it for right now. There are some others that I have, but I'm gonna add those later.

You answered my question. I was wondering if those that waited for 3 months to relax had this amount or more of new growth. I'd like to see what everyone else is getting too. And I'm also trying to see how to manage this new growth instead of relaxing right away. Again, thanks for your response. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hi armyqt ,
i haven't relaxed in years so i cant answer your question. I just want to tell you congrats on your new growth /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Armyt!
Hope I spelled that right! I ma like you my hair grows really fast like this.... am gonna post pics today sometime of my 3 weeks of new grotwth...anyways....when i get alot of new groth like this what I do it slick it back with curl activator (thanks Adreinne!!) at night and tie it up nad attach a drawstring ponytail or juts wear a bun the next day. Beacuse it has been tied down all night it is flat and has a very nice wave patter. this morning I just tied it up for 10 minutes before I left the house and got the sam effect. I also do wet set(spirals curls), braid outs and cornrows when I get this much. This is my first time going beyond 4 weeks I have not had a perm since September 4th adn this is how I maintained my new growth.
HTH

Armyqt,

I couldn't get in to see your photos but I recently went through this trying to make it to 10 weeks. It was a challenge. What helped me is that I moisturized my new growth daily with a moisturizing spray something like a curl moisturizing spray, S-Curl. It made the new growth easier to manage and moisturized my relaxed hair as well. Then I just kept my hair pinned up. If I remember correctly, you have a very nice length of hair so this shouldn't be a problem for you. Also being in the Army will have it's advantages for wearing it up daily. Girl, it even worked on my kitchen... /images/graemlins/grin.gif HTH

Oh, I wanted to add - my next goal is three months (12 weeks)...so let me know how things work for you.

if you are experiencing breakage.. relax it! I am a firm believer in relaxig WHENEVER there is 1-1.5 inches of new growth. Right now my hair has 2inches of new growth (some was seriuosly underprocessed, but i think i've grown an additionalinch) and it has the potential to break all over the place because i wanted to wait 8 weeks, but i really needed it done at 5 weeks. basically i'm saying get it relaxed!

Armyqt, I'm with Beana on this one. If you are experiencing breakage from the new growth, I say it's better to relax.
BTW, your hair looks great in those pics! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I think I will try the activator on the new growth for 1 wk and see how that works for me.

Beana, I understand exactly what you're saying. IMO give your hair what it needs. But I've been so inspired by the ladies on this board in many aspects. If there is a way to go longer btwn relaxers and experience no breakage, I'll like to see if I can accomplish the same. If after 1wk it doesn't work, I will relax. Thanks for the input.

Keep em coming ladies!!

Re: Tonya

I AM TRYING TO MAKE IT PUBLIC BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW...I DO NOT KNOW HOW ELSE TO POST IT...ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I waited 12 weeks for a touch-up many times. I once had my hair braided by a braider/stylist. She worked in an expensive salon in Brooklyn applying relaxers, washing, etc. She told me that many women got a touch-up based on weeks (every 6 weeks, every 8 weeks) not based on how much their hair has grown. She told me that you should not put a touch-up in your hair until you have at least 1 inch of growth and many women come in to have a touch-up done not even achieving 1/2 of an inch. (to measure your hair growth use the first line in your finger that is approximately 1 inch). She also said that after 8 to 9 weeks your hair begins to grow rapidly. Between 10 to 12 weeks it will grow like a weed but to be very careful, it also can start to break very easily. Since you want to go 12 weeks without a touch-up my suggestion would be to:

1. DEEP CONDITION EVERY TIME YOU WASH YOUR HAIR.
2. No Blow Dryer - only roller set.
3. Air Dry Only - Ponytail Method
4. S-Curl or WGO or any other oil you like
5. Wear a protective style.

When I use to go 12 weeks it was tough because my hair was so puffy on the top. Waiting 12 weeks I would achieve close to 2 inches of new growth but like I said before be very careful. It will start to break if you are not gentle with your hair. If you see lots of breakage - stop - and get a touch-up. Waiting this long also made my hair thicker and fuller. Now is the best time to do it because it is winter and when it gets cold the best thing for your hair is to protect it with protective styles. Hope this helps.

Jersey girl it sure helped me!!!
1 question....if my hair already grows fast (i get an inch a month) would it still be wise for me to try to go 12 weeks?

Aqt,

Hi chica. I agree with what the ladies said here. I would also encourage you to treat this time as a MEGA MOISTURE session for the hair. That's what I do when I'm stretching and I have about the amount of new growth that you do.

So without further rambling..I mean.. ado.... LOL! Here's what I do...

You can wash every other day if you want and if you're comfortable. If not skip the shampoo and just rinse the hair with water or a little conditoner. Slather it with a really good detangling conditioner like Keracare or Elucence and then as you are rinsing leave a little bit in the hair. Then without removing too much water from the hair and using a wide tooth comb and a soft brush if you like, smooth the hair into a wet bun secured with a satin scrunchie. Just pull the length into the scrunchie on the last time you pull the hair through. Tie it with a satin scarf (apply some oil and some activator to your edges if you like) and go to bed. In the AM your hair should be mostly dry. Then I just take the now slightly damp lengths down and let them finish airdrying while I get dressed. I usually apply some shine balm to get some curl definition. Then I pull my hair into a bun again.

This way - you aren't combing the hair dry, you aren't manipulating more than once or twice a day. Minimizing the manipulation is key when you are trying to stretch so you aren't constantly instigating a fight between the two textures on your head. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I always find when I do this or a week or two and then get a relaxer my hair is so soft and smooth and happy to have been bathed in all that moisture for an extended period.

It doesn't have to be anything but an addition to your already wonderful regime. Good luck nena...keep us posted.

Oh and I forgot to add:

I get about that much new growth somewhere between 5 and 7 weeks. So yes - I think you're on track with that. I would also say I am an avid roller setter - but this is one time where I don't advocate rollersetting or blowdrying or anything that requires more than 2 minutes of manipulating the hair. You could get away witha rollerset - but you'll still get some breakage. This was the one method I found where I get little to no breakage at all during my wash and after it dries.

I also wanted to mention that I said to rinse every other day - which I do - and I tie my hair down without removing my bun on that day in between my rinses and shampoos. You can also apply a leave in in addition to the conditioner you left in from the rinse/wash. You also don't HAVE to rinse or wash as often as every other day. I do because my hair likes the moisture. if you wanted to do it less frequently I would just keep tying the bun down at night. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Sorry to be so rambly - my boss is KILLING me today. She totally screws up my ability to think in a linear fashion! LOL!

Hey Tonya, yes I am wearing protective styles. My only style at the moment is a ponytail.

About your yahoo. When you log into your account and bring up your album, look on the top right side of the page an you will see "edit settings". Click on there. Once there, scroll down the page and choose the public option. Then everyone will be able to see your photos. Good luck.

Great information Jerseygirl and Tracy!!. I will remember this when I get to seven weeks and I'm starting to stretch.

Tonya:

I would give it a try but like I said before if you see breakage - stop - and get a touch-up. Just be a little more gentler with your hair. I have two sisters with waist length hair and they both do not get a perm but every 12 to 16 weeks. There hair is beautiful. They both wash and deep conditioner their hair 3 times a week and by doing this their hair is stronger and can handle the wait.

Thanks very much Jerseygirl and Tracy. This explanation is exactly what I was looking for. I'm gonna do this for the next week and see what happens. I always do the deep condition under the dryer every time I wash so this will not be a problem for me. Also, I don't mind wetting my hair to style it every other day. I'm sure my hair will like the moisture. (Tracy are u my hair twin? /images/graemlins/smile.gif) Anyway, from what I'm understanding, the key here is to seriously limit maniplation of the hair during this stage. This would include no combing except with a wide tooth comb to detangle while still wet. I've got it. Tracy and Jerseygirl, thanks a million for your in depth, step-by-step instructions. I will keep yall posted on my progress and let you know once I do relax.

Tracy, one more thing. Once I get the clear colourshines, can I go ahead and apply it now. What I'm really looking for here in this application is the conditioning effects and the cuticle protection prior to relaxing. I do plan to do another one on the same day I relax in Dec( to get that shine!). Let me know what you think. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your newgrowth(wow-that's a lot BTW) looks like it is soft and healthy. If you are not experiencing any breakage then wait. Oh yeah, if your hair is that shiny now, I can't wait to see how it looks with the Colorshines.

Need to use shades!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yep - Armyqt - we sure are hair twins! /images/graemlins/wink.gif I could tell from the moment you posted pics that your hair was just what mine'd look like once I got some length to it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can apply the colorshines now - but wait to decide if you're going to be able to stick out the waiting process. if you've got another few weeks before you'll relax go right ahead.

This stuff is good and it's got some wheat protein in there (very low on the list of ingredients) so it could help protect the hair a bit but it's really best for in between maintenance. A good strong creamy protein conditioner would be what I'd pick to fortify my hair some before the relaxer.

Thanks Gigi and Tracy. Tracy, I think I'll go ahead and wait it out with the colourshines. I do plan on doing at least 3 more protein conditioners before I relax again. For right now, I'll continue to work on the moisture and keeping the new growth soft. Your responses have really helped me. I'll keep ya posted. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't have any answer, but I wanted to say you are getting some amazing growth there. What you are doing is definitely working! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

UPDATE: I have been using the S-Curl No Drip curl activator 2x daily along with profective megagrowth and olive oil on my new growth. This stuff is working wonders!!! Thanks for all the help and thanks to Adrienne for the curl activator suggestion.

Today I washed my hair with Elucence moisture balancing shampoo and deep conditioned with ORS Hair Mayo and sat under dryer for 20 min. After rinsing I then applied olive oil 1st and then Redken Heavy cream and went back under the dryer for another 20 min. My hair was super soft and I had a normal amount of shedding (virtually none). After I rinsed my hair, i put the curl activator and some Let's Jam gel and made a ponytail. I love it. This will be my new style until I relax. I posted some pics of my wet hair and the drawstring ponytail.

I just wanna say thanks to all that responded, esp Tracy and Jerseygirl. I know I will be able to stretch this relaxer out. I AM VERY HAPPY!! I can't wait until Dec to post my colourshines relaxer pics. Thanks again everyone. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congratulations! Please keep us posted on your progress with this. I can't wait to see how it all works for you. Your hair looks great!!

girl, i'm so glad the S-curl stuff worked for you. your ponytail is SO cute! you should have no problem waiting until december for the retouch. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Back