IWATER shower filter - I used water hardness test strips today

HoneyDew

So I have been using the iWater water filter which claims to remove hard water minerals. The site seems to focus on Chlorine removal and only briefly mentioned the hard water claims.

Anyway, I have been using the filter for about 4 shampoos. I also STOPPED using my chelating shampoo this entire time (I did do a 6 oz. water 1 oz. ACV rinse, last night but that does not count :))

Anyway, I am using SofChek Water Hardness Test Strips. I tested water from my shower without the filter and water with the filter.

The strips I have look like pH test strips and change color. I have a color guide to see the result. The test is showing that my water WITHOUT the filter is 120 ppm. The water that has been filtered through the iWater is almost the color of the 50 ppm result, but not quite. I think it is more than 50 ppm, but a bit lighter.

This will help:

Hardness Classification
< 15 ppm Very Soft
15 ppm - 50 ppm Soft
50 ppm - 100 ppm Medium hard
100 ppm - 200 ppm Hard
> 200 ppm Very hard

Soooooo, I guess the filter does remove SOME hard water minerals, but is is not softening the water. I can tell a difference in my hair's feel and I have not been using my chelating shampoo, which is a step in the right direction for me. I used to shampoo with kenra Chelating EVERY shampoo. :nono:

Also, the eczema on my face has improved greatly, because I have been washing my face with the filtered water for about 3 weeks. I noticed improvement of my skin after about a week and a half.

Overall, I think it is a good buy, but not sure it will help those with EXTREMELY hard water.

http://www.myiwater.com/

HTH

Last edited:

MissRissa

thanks, for the review. i was gonna buy this one but i think im gonna get that other one that Nonie talked about.

naturalgurl

What other one that Nonie talked about? I have the IWater but it wasn't compatible with my shower pipe. A friend of mine is supposed to come look because he says it should fit any shower...still waiting. So I've been wetting my hair daily with hard water. I'm glad to see this review though to at least see that it does work to some degree.

sareca

Great review. Sorry it doesn't make the water as soft as you wanted. :(

I just installed a WaterStick this month. It works!

http://www.watersticks.com/shower.htm.

Here are my test strips. The hardness is the third from the top (or bottom). I think the scale is the same as yours. My water is very hard (dark orange). After running it through the waterstick it was soft (green).

Last edited:

MissRissa

What other one that Nonie talked about? I have the IWater but it wasn't compatible with my shower pipe. A friend of mine is supposed to come look because he says it should fit any shower...still waiting. So I've been wetting my hair daily with hard water. I'm glad to see this review though to at least see that it does work to some degree.

I have to find it in my subscriptions. But im leaving work now and my internet is down at home so i won't be able to update until Monday. It was a hardwater filter and softner in 1. i think it was like AD1000 or something. it was originally in the thread Sareca had about her new water stick. It wasn't a review of it, just a cheaper alternative that she had found. I think it was only $80 though. I'd test it for that price. Just waiting till after I move.

HoneyDew

Great review. Sorry it doesn't make the water as soft as you wanted. :(

I just installed a WaterStick this month. It works!

http://www.watersticks.com/shower.htm.

Here are my test strips. The hardness is the third from the top (or bottom). I think the scale is the same as yours. My water is very hard (dark orange). After running it through the waterstick it was soft (green).

WOW! It works! (and I have a Waterstick. :look: Not sure why I still haven't installed it.)

Thanks for showing that to us!

gorgeous86

Thank you for posting this. I have been looking for something to improve the condition of my water. I'm glad you're seeing improvement with your hair/skin.