It seems like

MrJohnsonsRib

...the more I buy they less I'm getting anywhere. Ahhh!! :wallbash: I mean is there something out there for me, really? It's like some ladies have such sucess with all that stuff I got sitting under my cabinet RIGHT NOW-Pantene, Suave, Keracare, Mizani, Motions, Aussie.....I can't tell if it's doing anything! I just figure since my hair hasn't had a change- I will set it in the dark and buy something else. My pockets are low and my hair is STILL struggling. Maybe I am having a problem with product commitment perhaps- you know at the first sign of trouble I run off, maybe I should give them another chance and not brush them off after one or two tries. Have any of you tried products that seemed worthless show their wonderful magic after sticking with it for a week or a say 5 uses?

I have 4b? hair(my fotki has pictures) It's ear length and I have tried the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line, Aussie Moist, Pantene Conditioner, I tried Nexxus Humectress Condish last night for the first time, I've used the Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment,balanced moisturizer, leav-in condish, and shampoo for damaged hair. I've been using evoo, coconut oil, hot six oil, or kemi oyl (love this) to seal. I've been wearing a wig daily to protect from the cold weather here and to hide my hair when I'm "experimenting" I love Suave Clarifying Shampoo( maybe too much) It's my ultimate -clean slate giver....I have also tried creme of nature lemongrass and rosemary leave in condiitioner for dehydrated hair, optimum therapy 3n1 creme oil moisturizer, gosh there are so many things I've tried in the past few months. I also tried olive oil moisturizing lotion and I decided to keep trying it to see if it would maybe work.I've got SheScentIt samples coming in the mail soon and I will try those too.

Last edited:
lol, girl, i feel you. half the time i don't know what worked because I use a few different things at once. LOL, oh well. But sorry I cant help.

I use products from different lines. I get a combination of what works for my hair and stick with it for a while. As long as I am not seeing damage or breakage I try to see it through. This is what has worked for me in the past......I am a newbie to this site so I would be interested in what some of the more seasoned hair pros think.....:yep:

How is your hair struggling? What problems are you seeing?

ETA: It may not be the products themselves. It may be how you use them too. I would take a product at a time and use it for a few weeks and change how you use them before you cast them aside.

Last edited:
That's me too! I'm beginning to think my hair is hopeless. :nono: No advice, but I'm going to try a hardcore protein over the weekend. If that doesn't work... I will go to my room and cry. :sad:

Some products, like Suave and V05, need other things (like oils) added to them to boost their abilities.

It sounds like you need to listen to your hair. What type of hair do you have? Dry, oily, etc.? Look for products that cater to your hair. Also, look for ingredients that cater to your hair. I can't stress that enough. What products haven't worked for your hair? What are the similarities among those products? I think that would be a good place to look.

I agree that more details would help. Also try the product in different ways...a little more/little less etc. Also make sure you aren't anemic, vitamin deficient, dehydrated etc.

I was anemic BAD and it took a major toll on my hair almost two yrs ago. My ends are still recovering...about two more inches to go and they will look as good as the rest of my hair. They don't look bad by most accounts (except here...LOL!) BUT I know they can be better. Alas, this is about you not me...sorry! Oh also list what you are using so we can help better!

I just needed to rant a lil bit:swearing: But I'm good now :wink2: I'm gonna go and find some interesting threads and unwind :meditate: Thanks ladies for your responses. :)

The more you buy the more you try. :yep: When it comes to shampoo and conditioner, IME, you'll know after one use whether it's a keeper. Of course you can't reap the full benefits after the first use, but if something makes your hair feel terrible right off the bat (unless it's because you aren't using it properly), you can probably move on to something else. ;)

Years ago I stumbled across my primary staples, and I decided to give them a try for one year consistently. I told my stylist if he didn’t see improvements after 12 months, I would stop ordering them. Within the 12 months, he never made any negative statements . . . so I kept bringing them in. During the seventh month, he said: “Oh I see a difference.” Then during the eighth month, he said: “Yes, now I’m really seeing improvement.” We were more concerned about the health of my hair than growth, because growth wasn’t the problem.

As a result, I’m still using them. However, years later my stylist recommended my secondary staples such as shampoo, conditioner, and detangler--which I alternate. They are excellent choices, especially during these tough economic times.

The marrow of this story is that sometimes you have to give your products time to work by using them consistently. Please don’t buy anything else; you have plenty. If they don’t give you negative results immediately, then don’t switch to something else. Keep using them. It takes time for hair to thrive. It doesn’t happen overnight.

I have type 4a/b hair, which according to my stylist, is more fragile so . . . it has to be handled more delicately. He was shocked that my hair grew to “below the bra clasp” length even though it was uneven--until he trimmed it last month.

Thanks everybody! There are some things I will still buy because I want to try like Mega-Tek but I decided last ngiht I will just use each product til it's gone then I will move to the next.....which brings me to say that I used the Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment yesterday after washing with their Shampoo for Damaged Hair. I followed that up with a a good amount of their Balancing Moisturizer after a towel dry (I rinsed protein out well). I then "sealed" with my Emerald Organics Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from GNC and then I used a wide tooth to work it all thru to my ends. I put on my square folded intoa triangle satin scarf on and slept well. I woke up this morning and my RELAXED ends felt very soft and just looked good, the oil made it a tad on the greasy side but I'm not mad because EVCO is good for you unlike mineral oil and other "coaters"...however my NATURAL newgrowth was not very cooperative like my ends were- My conclusion is that Aphogee works well for relaxed hair more, IMO. I have on my satin boy cap topped with a stocking cap and a full wig. I've been wigging for a couple weeks now. :) Hope this helps out somebody....I plan to move to my Neutrogena Triple Moisture line after Aphogee is gone to see if they are a keeper....then Aussie Moist, Motions, Olive Oil, Pantene, Herbal Essences, Hello Hydration,Nexxus- I have sample sizes of most of these but I may buy full size just to have enough for a week or two worth's use.

Have you ever thought about the fact that the products that you're using may not be the problem? What kind of diet do you have? Your diet may be a huge factor in why you're not getting the results you want. Also, as far as product usage is concerned, you have to give the product a fair chance to yield noticeable results. Like someone said, you can usually tell if a product's a keeper or not.

^^ITA and sometimes you have to give it a few tries or some time to see if it's making a difference. You can't always tell from the first use whether it's a keeper or not.

I know people have given you good advice. But since I have been natural I can not use product with cones in it. A lot of the product you stated have cones, I will advise looking into non-cone conditioners, itmay be the culprit. I did not have this issue when I was relaxed.
HTH

I dont think it so much what products you use, as I found out it's technique.
When I started doing co washes,baggie method,deep conditioning twice a week, protective styles,making sure your hair get the right protein/moisture balance my hair started to thrieve.

I dont think it so much what products you use, as I found out it's technique.
When I started doing co washes,baggie method,deep conditioning twice a week, protective styles,making sure your hair get the right protein/moisture balance my hair started to thrieve.
yep you are sooooo right i have 4BIG BOXS OF GOOD STUFF but until i started to deep con protective styles and mois and a lot more good things like sealing did my hair take off.

Rule #1: K.I.S.S. It sounds like you are doing way too much too fast. Avoid the bandwagon and learn to listen to your hair.

Another thing: Are you using a good clarifying and or chelating shampoo first before trying new lines? That's important if you want to see maximum results.

Also when you say something isn't working what do you mean? Do you mean it's causing more damage or do you just see nothing "happening"? I don't have some kind of hairgasm when I get most products. I definitely notice when they do more harm than good. I would say stick with one line or one product change at a time so you can rule out which ones are causing problems. Also it may not be the products. It could be diet, the way you handle your hair with heat or combing. To me, I have very few "keeper" products. I love to try new lines and experiment but when it comes to maintenance, like combing, heat, protective style, those are the crucial aspects to me! Maybe you are washing too much or need to wash more?

Also have you done any strand tests lately to see what your hair needs regarding the protein/moisture balance? There are so many more important aspects of hair care than just the products.

Good luck!

Rule #1: K.I.S.S. It sounds like you are doing way too much too fast. Avoid the bandwagon and learn to listen to your hair.

Another thing: Are you using a good clarifying and or chelating shampoo first before trying new lines? That's important if you want to see maximum results.

Also when you say something isn't working what do you mean? Do you mean it's causing more damage or do you just see nothing "happening"? I don't have some kind of hairgasm when I get most products. I definitely notice when they do more harm than good. I would say stick with one line or one product change at a time so you can rule out which ones are causing problems. Also it may not be the products. It could be diet, the way you handle your hair with heat or combing. To me, I have very few "keeper" products. I love to try new lines and experiment but when it comes to maintenance, like combing, heat, protective style, those are the crucial aspects to me! Maybe you are washing too much or need to wash more?

Also have you done any strand tests lately to see what your hair needs regarding the protein/moisture balance? There are so many more important aspects of hair care than just the products.

Good luck!

If Suave Clarifying is what you consider good ,then absolutely!:grin: This is something I actually keep on hand just in case I need to "clean sweep" my hair when I tried something. I have noticed that while using the Aphogee it left my relaxed hair feeling good, but my roots weren't too fond of it. I also tried my She Scent It seyani (whipped :grin:) butter sample and it felt kinda good on my ends. I washed with the avocado shampoo last night then topped with the Banana Brulee and I left it in since I had somewhere to go afterwards, I wore my wig. I was being lazy and didn't wash it out at all. I'm just wearing a wig daily. Hope thats not a bad thing. I'm not worried about the "growth" because I know it grows otherwise I wouldv'e never needed to touch up(when I used to relax). I'm working for moisture/protein balance while keeping my hair protected. Retention basically is what I'm going for. I have considered what everyone else has been saying about the drinking and eating healthy, I know better, but I forget how critical that can be if not done right. I've been a bad girl. :nono: I've been trying to drink more through out the day now and take my vitamins and avoid caffeine, sweets, and all the like. It gets annoying when you lose connection with your hair. So many of the ladies seem to have awesome communication with their strands...mine are just speaking a foreign language right now. lol!:grin:

I have a few items that I always keep in stock. Aubrey's Organic's Island Natural (natural), Egyptian Henna Shine shampoo and rinse (straight), Green tea clarifying shampoo, and the Calendula leave-in conditioner. Miessence Lemon Myrtle Shampoo and the B5 hair repair. Right now I'm using up my Uans Therapi' Shampoo (sulfate free) and Conditioner and the Uans Reviva setting lotion (I dilute it with water). Salerm's restructuring treatment for ends has been a GOD SEND for my split end problem. So far, D' Fina 11 en 1 conditioner seems to be working really well (especially for the price) as a deep conditioner. I alternate them so that the more expensive conditioners will last longer.

I've decided to try and be more patient. I've even bought a new wig to keep my mind off how crazy my hair s right now. I just been trying to go thru my product on hand and just see how things are going with all of that before I invest in other stuff. It's growing though. It's just all packed down. I don't even try to style it because that's another level of frustration I am not trying to get into, just focusing on the moisture/protein thing for now. I used my FREE Glover's samples- both the Herbal and Tea Tree Growth Blends, and my hair actually tingled and left my hair feeling rather soft and nice even the next day. :) I may buy a full tube.

Just wondering: do you read the ingredients on the products you use? If there are some that work better than others do you see a difference in the ingredients or the order of ingredients of the products that totally suck? I haven't had this issue because my regimen is mostly ayurvedic powders and moisturizing conditioners so I'm not speaking from my expertise or anything. But ingredient research would be my next step if it seemed nothing was working.

I say it hasn't been that long to make a great assessment. What kind of change are you looking for? Go for products with the least amount of chemicals. Maybe it's the cones?

If Suave Clarifying is what you consider good ,then absolutely!:grin: This is something I actually keep on hand just in case I need to "clean sweep" my hair when I tried something. I have noticed that while using the Aphogee it left my relaxed hair feeling good, but my roots weren't too fond of it. I also tried my She Scent It seyani (whipped :grin:) butter sample and it felt kinda good on my ends. I washed with the avocado shampoo last night then topped with the Banana Brulee and I left it in since I had somewhere to go afterwards, I wore my wig. I was being lazy and didn't wash it out at all. I'm just wearing a wig daily. Hope thats not a bad thing. I'm not worried about the "growth" because I know it grows otherwise I wouldv'e never needed to touch up(when I used to relax). I'm working for moisture/protein balance while keeping my hair protected. Retention basically is what I'm going for. I have considered what everyone else has been saying about the drinking and eating healthy, I know better, but I forget how critical that can be if not done right. I've been a bad girl. :nono: I've been trying to drink more through out the day now and take my vitamins and avoid caffeine, sweets, and all the like. It gets annoying when you lose connection with your hair. So many of the ladies seem to have awesome communication with their strands...mine are just speaking a foreign language right now. lol!:grin:

Suave will do the job or anything with sodium laureth sulfates. I personally use ORS Aloe bc it is both chelating and clarifying. I used to be like you in terms of wearing conditioners like for a day or two without wash out but now I pretty much stick to the directions and my hair has been thriving with the 10-15 min deep condish in the shower. Be careful with your wig wearing. I'm no expert (planning on buying my first good one in a couple of weeks) but be wary of moisture buildup which can cause fungus and bacteria. Also mind your edges to avoid breakage. There's lots of threads that can give you more info on wigs if you do a search.

The diet is crucial and I can be just as bad sometimes. :spinning: But no matter what my diet looks like, my hair continues to thrive. I still enjoy my occasional coffee 1-2 times a week. You don't have to completely abstain- just try not to overdo anything. So you can make up for some parts of your maintenance. Learning your hair's language can take time. We all have gone through it. You'll do just fine.

I normally have to follow up with a moisturizing DC when I use Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment. The balanced moisturizer doesn't do anything for my hair. Try that next time you use the two-step. You might feel differently about the results.

Back