Breakage - what is normal?

Glib Gurl

I know that we're supposed to lose X amount of hairs everyday. (At least that is what I've heard . . . but for all I know that is the same "wisdom" that says to trim your hair every 6-8 weeks, brush your hair every night, etc.) Even if you are supposed to lose X amount of hairs everyday, I assume that hair loss should be from the root - not breakage as a result of split ends or whatever.

Now that I'm trying to really grow my hair and I'm more knowledgeable thanks to you ladies, I'm getting concerned about breakage I'm seeing -- hairs left in the tub after a wash, hairs in my comb or brush after rolling my hair for the evening. (Shoot, last night when I was rolling my hair, I was disgusted with all of the bits and pieces of hair left all over the place - my clothing, my bedspread, etc. - after I rolled my hair.) Now I must say that I'm experiencing less breakage than before I joined this board. Normally, I wouldn't even think about breakage as being anything but par for the course . . . but now that I'm more aware, it really bothers me.

How much breakage is "normal"? Is there any way to completely (or almost completely) eliminate breakage? Can I still meet my hair length goals even if I'm experiencing breakage?

Thanks,

Glib

candy1214

I think breakage is inevitable...you'll always see a few here and there. However, when its excessive you know there's a problem. Excessive meaning every single time you comb there are 10-20 little hairs coming out.

Shedding, though, is a different issue and pretty much beyond our control IMO. Your natural growth cycle is pre-determined and even though garlic shampoos and vitamins taken internally may help curb it, its still gonna happen.

So if you're seeing little broken pieces all over the place then I'd look into a heavy duty protein treatment followed by a moisturizing one.

Glib Gurl

Thanks Candy . . . so, when I use a protein treatment (say Joico K-pac), I should immediately follow with a moisturizing conditioner (like Humectress or something)?

candy1214

Thanks Candy . . . so, when I use a protein treatment (say Joico K-pac), I should immediately follow with a moisturizing conditioner (like Humectress or something)?

I'm not familiar w/ the strength of Joico. I was talking in terms of the heavy duty Aphogee. It stops breaking in its tracks.

ShiShiPooPoo

I understand how you feel. Breakage really bothers me too. When a hair comes out, I always feel the ends to see if I feel the bulb (sometimes it is hard to see). If I don't feel it, I am inspecting that hair all the way down the strand to see what is going on-then I stretch it to see if I need protein or moisture.

When I stretch is when I see the most breakage so a good time for me to relax is around 10 weeks. I've got hairs sticking straight up on the top of my head from where the relaxed part broke off from when I stretch.

sareca

I think breakage is inevitable...you'll always see a few here and there. However, when its excessive you know there's a problem. Excessive meaning every single time you comb there are 10-20 little hairs coming out.

Shedding, though, is a different issue and pretty much beyond our control IMO. Your natural growth cycle is pre-determined and even though garlic shampoos and vitamins taken internally may help curb it, its still gonna happen.

So if you're seeing little broken pieces all over the place then I'd look into a heavy duty protein treatment followed by a moisturizing one.

ITA. Except when I have breakage it's usually either because I've been shampooing too much or have used too much protein. Too much moisture and it breaks too or much protein and it breaks. It's all about the balance for me.