Is There Such a Thing As Emotional Promiscuity?

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
| email
Is there such a thing as emotional promiscuity?

Lies Young Women Believe | Is there such a thing as emotional promiscuity?

Guys posted by Erin Davis on 02/23/09; 48 comments

I’ve decided to label February as “National Obsession with Romance Month.” Am I the only one who has noticed that the strategic placement of Valentines Day smack dab in the middle of the month ensures a weeks-long obsession with love and romance? New romantic movies are released, gift and card manufacturers launch an all out blitz of romantic commercials and products, and hearts are…EVERYWHERE!

Don’t get me wrong. I love romance. I was tickled pink when my husband brought home a dozen red rozes and a mushy chick flick on Valentines Day. But in the aftermath of that silly holiday, I’ve noticed my emotions out of whack.

I sure am thinking about love more these days and I find myself fantasizing about more cards and flowers or romantic getways with the man I love. What’s crazy is that all of that fantasizing is going on in my head. My behavior models God’s standard of purity, but on the inside my fantasy life has become a bit like a runaway train.

All of this has me wondering, if it is possible to be physically pure but emotionally promiscuous?

I decided to ask an expert.

Let me introduce you to Brienne Murk. She is the author of the book “ Eyes Wide Open: Avoiding the Heartbreak of Emotional Promiscuity.” In her book she points out that much emphasis has been placed on the importance of sexual purity, but she believes (and I agree) that true purity is more than just saving yourself for marriage. She challenges teens and young adults to seek Christ-centered relationships, and prepares them to save their deepest emotions, as well as their bodies, until marriage.

I recently interviewed Brienne about emotional purity. I will be posting that interview on the blog today and tomorrow. Check it out.

Erin: Define emotional dating and emotional promiscuity.

Brienne: Emotional dating is when we’re more involved in a relationship than we’re willing to admit. You may not be officially “dating” the person, but for all practical purposes you might as well be. Emotional dating could also be described as the “he loves me, he loves me not” blues and any outside observer would consider you to be an “item”.

Emotional entanglement occurs when we allow events, feelings, conversations, hopes, dreams and emotions to get twisted up in a complicated, confusing mass. When we’re emotionally entangled in a relationship, we are swept along by our feelings and can quickly loose perspective and our ability to discern what we’re doing. And Emotional Promiscuity is when we are careless with our emotions and allow them to control us, rather than the other way around. It’s also when we give our emotions to someone who isn’t worthy to be entrusted with such a precious gift and give our heart away prematurely, instead of waiting for someone who will spend their life cherishing and protecting us as God’s princess.

Erin: What are the behaviors you see Christian girls engaging in most often that lead their hearts to be emotional compromised?

Brienne: God created us as three-part beings – body, soul, and heart – and when we’re out of balance in ay of these areas our whole state of wellbeing is threatened. We all know the importance of guarding our bodies, being physically fit, eating right and taking steps to protect ourselves from physical harm. But just how much attention do we give to feeding, exercising, and guarding our hearts and spirits? What many of us don’t realize is that our feelings produce emotional (heart) and spiritual (spirit) and sexual (body) responses – so we need to thoughtfully reign in those feelings so that they lead to wholeness and purity.

Most often I see Christian girls engaging in emotional promiscuity without even realizing it, by not being careful in their relationships with the opposite sex. It might sound hard, but it really is important to be intentional about everything we think, do, or say. We have to remember that feelings and emotions can’t be trusted. No matter how much we may want to believe them, they are deceptive and will get us in trouble. We have the choice to live according to what is true or according to how we feel, because regardless of our circumstances that trigger our feelings, the choice of how we respond is up to us. 1 Thess. 5:22 says to “stay away from every kind of evil.” The Apostle Paul knew that if left unchecked our feelings can result in evil that affects us in every way – emotionally, spiritually, and physically. And in order to keep those things in check, imperative to put God first in all our relationships, by completely surrendering our desires to Him. We also have to be willing to take a time out, and tell our family/friends about our commitment to purity. Romans 12:2 says, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this word, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”

Erin: Imagine you are talking to a girl from this blog. She loves the Lord. She is committed to physical and emotional purity. But there is this amazing, Christian guy she can't stop thinking about. Can you give her three practical ideas of things she can do to protect her heart?

Brienne: The bottom line comes down to our heart attitude. Are we focusing our energy and emotions on God or on a guy? It’s all too easy to get caught up in a fantasy rather than reality, which is why I believe that the key to escaping emotional entanglement is to cultivate a heart that is completely focused on God. Remember, true purity is more than just a word: it’s a commitment, a promise and a choice to guard your heart and body in everything you think, say, or do. Proverbs 4:23 tells us to guard our hearts above all else, “for it determines the course of your life.” Something that is much easier said than done, but the secret for doing so is found in Philippians 4:6-8, which says: “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” Personally, I wholeheartedly believe that if we would follow the simple instructions laid out in these verses, we would never have to experience the pain of emotional entanglements.

Whew! That’s a lot to think about, right? We’ll pick up this conversation with Brienne tomorrow (here’s a sneak peak, among other things Brienne’s going to tell us her thoughts on the influence of media on emotional promiscuity).

In the meantime, I would love to hear from you.

What do you think of Brienne’s definitions of emotional dating and emotional promiscuity?

Looking back, can you think of a time when you were emotionally promiscuous based on these definitions?

What are the behaviors you see Christian women engaging in most often that lead their hearts to be emotional compromised?

Lies Young Women Believe | Is there such a thing as emotional promiscuity?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
If 'you' (general term 'you') are a woman...

YES ! :yep:

I actually would not call it promiscuity :nono: as it's in our makeup (our DNA). Women are by nature emotional beings and because of this, it gets taken for granted by others and life's circumstances.

As women, we live by our emotions; of course we have a handle on it, but no matter how often we use our intellect, our emotions are going to come into play in a situation.

It's a good article, but I think it's kind of down playing how God created us as women.

(this writer betta leave my love for Valentine's and Romance alone... :fistshake: :look: )

PinkPebbles

I believe when a woman doesn’t know the guy’s true intention is when confusion and the emotional rollercoaster take place. Or the woman doesn’t accept the fact that this guy is not the one.

I can honestly say that I avoided a lot of counterfeits and drama in 2010 by simply asking God to reveal the man’s heart and his intentions. When God revealed the insincere heart I had to run, not walk, skip, or crawl. Yes, it was hurtful but I rather feel the sting in one day compared to 2 – 5 years.

BeautifulFlower

If 'you' (general term 'you') are a woman...

I actually would not call it promiscuity :nono: as it's in our makeup (our DNA). Women are by nature emotional beings and because of this, it gets taken for granted by others and life's circumstances.

As women, we live by our emotions; of course we have a handle on it, but no matter how often we use our intellect, our emotions are going to come into play in a situation.

It's a good article, but I think it's kind of down playing how God created us as women.

(this writer betta leave my love for Valentine's and Romance alone... :fistshake: :look: )

I agree. I think this is a wonderful article that highlights how we as women should seek to let God be the center of our hearts and emotion. But I wouldnt agree to never trust our emotions. The heart is wickedly deceptive but its also the center the place where the Lord speaks to me.

Though emotions can drive us to make some terrible decisions they can also drive us to make beautiful, sacrificial, passionate, etc. decisions for the glory of God.

I believe the key is, in all you do, do for the glory of God. If what you are about to do, say, or think does not glorify the Father, then you should probably do something else, take back what you said, or thick about something else.

nissi

I remember we studied emotional affairs in our class at church (if that is the same thing, sounds similar). It helped people to pull it in and not hook up with the eye gates from across the room with folks who were not their purpose partners... And then they run off in their souls with something that had no foundation, and then get embarrassed, humiliated and stuck with a handful of wind at the end. All because proper procedure was not followed as far as how the relationship should proceed. If you don't direct it according to the Word, the soul (mind/will/emotions) will do its own thing, especially because we are wired to have lasting, loving relationships with others. I might add, according to the will of God, so we don't bond with Psycho Killer.

I can't remember the name of the Christian woman who wrote the book, but when i googled it, i see the concept is everywhere now.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I believe it's possible to be "in love"/"infatuated"/in intense like/ with more than one person at the same time, and/or have emotional bonds, one after another, so that qualifies as promiscuity to me. That could include sexual talk...discussions that excite sexually...even though the two are not engaged physically. They say the brain (the mind) is the most important sex organ; Everything that affects us starts with the mind. Living for God requires renewing the mind, a spiritual U-turn. Women, being the emotional creatures we are, tend to bond quickly to a man who tells us what we want to hear. If a relationship with God isn't there to steer, guide and warn, there will always efforts to do some damage control from self-inflicted pain, disappointments.
I dated when I was not saved and was emotional promiscuous....being open to be "loved" -- but in the wrong way.... so I've been there. I got saved, found out what real Love is and He presented me with a mate. This relationship started the exact opposite way of all the others I've ever had in my life...spiritually. So I know God is a God of order, especially when it comes to relationships. God, spouse, children, family, friends... I admire the single Christian women who are uncompromising and rely on their relationship with God to keep them from emotionally snares.

JHMO... :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
I remember we studied emotional affairs in our class at church (if that is the same thing, sounds similar). It helped people to pull it in and not hook up with the eye gates from across the room with folks who were not their purpose partners... And then they run off in their souls with something that had no foundation, and then get embarrassed, humiliated and stuck with a handful of wind at the end. All because proper procedure was not followed as far as how the relationship should proceed. If you don't direct it according to the Word, the soul (mind/will/emotions) will do its own thing, especially

....we are wired to have lasting, loving relationships with others. I might add, according to the will of God,

so we don't bond with Psycho Killer.

I can't remember the name of the Christian woman who wrote the book, but when i googled it, i see the concept is everywhere now

The bolded.... this is a topic that God has been giving me to write about. :yep:

And your entire post is truly on point. :up:

Again, I like the article because it is an awakening to the hearts of women.

As a child, I was primed to grow up, fall in love with a prince and get married and live happily ever after. :look: Until 'Life and Reality' popped that bubble quick, fast and in a hurry.

Yeeeepppppp :yep: :yep: :yep:

Women 'fall in love' and fantasize... a lot. And saved or unsaved, it happens more with women who are not in a relationship themselves than those who are actively involved in one.

A woman's 'emotions' simply 'go there' :cloudnine: and it is a 'natural' reaction, however, as Christian women, we learn to lovingly and with much peace, place our emotions under submission to the Holy Spirit.

As Christian women we 'love' 'Love'. It's really a 'high' (for me it is), with or without sex or sexual fantasies. The love of Jesus is in us so much, that we have a natural overflow that spills onto others.... a great love overflow... sometimes upon a man who is not our own.

Love..... :love: it's going to flow from us, the warm oil, without an effort. To love is healing, and when we do not have an 'object' for our affections, it has a void so wide that we can fall into a depression; love has to be what it is... active and upon one who matters to us. When a woman loves a man, she will have 'Romantic' illusions (delusions for some) about 'he' who has become the object of her affection.

Women live to love... :love5: To love and to nurture. All the more for God to be the 'center' of her entire being to protect her from mis-loving.

It all goes back to what you, Nissi and our other sisters who have shared in this thread, which is being submissive and surrendering our hearts to the Lord and allowing the Holy Spirit to be the navigator of our hearts.

nissi

Mz Shimmie, you have such a wonderful way with words! I am just waiting for your book! If the Lord should say the same, I would think other people need your warmth and wisdom! :yep:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I believe it's possible to be "in love"/"infatuated"/in intense like/ with more than one person at the same time, and/or have emotional bonds, one after another, so that qualifies as promiscuity to me. That could include sexual talk...discussions that excite sexually...even though the two are not engaged physically. They say the brain (the mind) is the most important sex organ; Everything that affects us starts with the mind. Living for God requires renewing the mind, a spiritual U-turn. Women, being the emotional creatures we are, tend to bond quickly to a man who tells us what we want to hear. If a relationship with God isn't there to steer, guide and warn, there will always efforts to do some damage control from self-inflicted pain, disappointments.
I dated when I was not saved and was emotional promiscuous....being open to be "loved" -- but in the wrong way.... so I've been there. I got saved, found out what real Love is and He presented me with a mate. This relationship started the exact opposite way of all the others I've ever had in my life...spiritually. So I know God is a God of order, especially when it comes to relationships. God, spouse, children, family, friends... I admire the single Christian women who are uncompromising and rely on their relationship with God to keep them from emotionally snares.

JHMO... :yep:.

This gets a lot at the heart of why I posted the article. I was watching a TV show and it was the valentine's day episode, and the characters (teenagers I have to add) were hooking up and breaking up and carrying on feelings for more than one person at a time. It was all confused. If you drew lines connecting all the characters to those who they were emotionally/romantically connected to, it'd look like a big jumble of criss crossed lines all over the place.

It struck me because sex wasn't at all in the picture, and yet it still seemed like promiscuity of some sort. And I think that Christians might tend to focus so much on the Lord's commands regarding sexual purity that the emotional and relational side is neglected and we can end up doing things just like the world--i.e., creating one emotional bond/soul tie after another (with some running concurrently) based on our own feelings rather than seeking the Lord.

I really believe that relationship as such is supposed to be covenant-based. This is how the Lord enters a relationship with His people. It is the example we are given of friendship with David and Jonathan. Ruth also solidified her relationship to Naomi by making a covenant with her. I think that the nature of covenant relationships is fundamentally one of faithfulness. By definition it cannot be based on how I feel today, but on a promise to be there faithfully. A promise to love the other faithfully.

When emotional bonds are created just willy nilly, it can end up being that people ultimately are used rather than loved. They are enjoyed for today and while it's convenient, but when something new or seemingly better comes along, that bond is broken, or they just move on and create the same thing with someone else while the old bond remains alive.

It's so important to settle our hearts in Jesus, so that they won't wander from person to person. And also, the point about how a relationship starts is also really important. Focus on the spiritual and the kingdom of God has to lead. :yep:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
^^ yep... There has to be boundaries...in any relationship, whether it's a friend or family. Without boundaries, we can't really be free to be who we are or be protected from built-in judgments (which comes by violating someone). It's the same with being in God's sovereign will.

Many believe living a life dedicated to God, being in Covenant, is about restrictions when it's really not. Those boundaries are there to protect us, keep us free from what's not good (anything outside of His will) so we are free to be, in Him, and not bring judgment on ourselves by violating Him. When we belong to Him, our bodies are no longer ours. So when we commit certain sins, we sins against our own bodies. The judgment is already built-in by one's own actions, it could be a unwanted pregnancy, disease, getting beat up by someone's significant other, a falling out or fighting, etc. It always goes back to this: Be obedient to God, stay in His Will. This is my experiential understanding .. I'm not "preaching" to anyone...
:yep: :

Shimmie

Staff member
Mz Shimmie, you have such a wonderful way with words! I am just waiting for your book! If the Lord should say the same, I would think other people need your warmth and wisdom! :yep:

Thanks Love...:kiss:

BTW: I must sound like I'm 'grown' -- with so many calling me, Mz or Miss Shimmie... :lol:

I'm only 18 ... :grin:

:look:

Psych...

Shimmie

Staff member
This gets a lot at the heart of why I posted the article. I was watching a TV show and it was the valentine's day episode, and the characters (teenagers I have to add) were hooking up and breaking up and carrying on feelings for more than one person at a time. It was all confused. If you drew lines connecting all the characters to those who they were emotionally/romantically connected to, it'd look like a big jumble of criss crossed lines all over the place.

It struck me because sex wasn't at all in the picture, and yet it still seemed like promiscuity of some sort. And I think that Christians might tend to focus so much on the Lord's commands regarding sexual purity that the emotional and relational side is neglected and we can end up doing things just like the world--i.e., creating one emotional bond/soul tie after another (with some running concurrently) based on our own feelings rather than seeking the Lord.

I really believe that relationship as such is supposed to be covenant-based. This is how the Lord enters a relationship with His people. It is the example we are given of friendship with David and Jonathan. Ruth also solidified her relationship to Naomi by making a covenant with her. I think that the nature of covenant relationships is fundamentally one of faithfulness. By definition it cannot be based on how I feel today, but on a promise to be there faithfully. A promise to love the other faithfully.

When emotional bonds are created just willy nilly, it can end up being that people ultimately are used rather than loved. They are enjoyed for today and while it's convenient, but when something new or seemingly better comes along, that bond is broken, or they just move on and create the same thing with someone else while the old bond remains alive.

It's so important to settle our hearts in Jesus, so that they won't wander from person to person. And also, the point about how a relationship starts is also really important. Focus on the spiritual and the kingdom of God has to lead. :yep:

Nicola, I like [and agree] with your view much more than the article. This is not disparaging the author, but your personal view makes more sense.

You, Nissi, Pink Pebbles and Laela are in the same flow... I took it North East South and West of the border. :look:

Excellent thread and excellent responses.

I have a question for anyone to answer:

How did you 'settle' your emotions?

For me, it was sitting under the 'Word' and just 'growing' in the Lord. One night before going to bed, I prayed a simple prayer that I read in a Daily Word devotiional guide: "Father, I 'would' be free..."

I woke up the next morning, 'un-in love' with the former object of my affection (a man who was not right for me). God did it for me and kept me so involved in the things of Him, that I didn't have time to be caught up in my emotions.

I can remember on morning while I was in praise in worship and a wave of peace came over me... "I was free... from the woman I use to be".

It's something about being in Church and under the word of God; reading God's Word. One day, I was hurting about something and the next day, I wasn't. And this was long before TD Jakes and 'Woman thou art loosed'. It was Jesus and still is.

Praise the name of the Lord...forever. :Rose:

Last edited:

Prudent1

Wow, just wow at all of the wonderful dialogue up in here:yep:. **Sighs** This subject is something I have been telling others for quite some time now. It is why I have said to be careful when all of your friends are men. It is why I have said there are no BC methods will that guard your heart and soul. Some get it, some don't:nono:. God is not a cosmic kill joy but rather He wants to protect us from the myriad of needless pains that are out there. He wants us to have only originals, not counterfeits:nono:. The world says we are ignorant slaves. When living in His will, we are the only ones who are truly free.
Excellent article OP and very timely. Thanks so much for sharing it. I pray it will open the eyes of many who read it.:rosebud:
Shimmie, I love this... "Father, I 'would' be free..."

2 Cor 3:17
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

PinkPebbles

For me, it was sitting under the 'Word' and just 'growing' in the Lord. One night before going to bed, I prayed a simple prayer that I read in a Daily Word devotiional guide: "Father, I 'would' be free..."

I woke up the next morning, 'un-in love' with the former object of my affection (a man who was not right for me). God did it for me and kept me so involved in the things of Him, that I didn't have time to be caught up in my emotions.

I can remember on morning while I was in praise in worship and a wave of peace came over me... "I was free... from the woman I use to be".

It's something about being in Church and under the word of God; reading God's Word. One day, I was hurting about something and the next day, I wasn't. And this was long before TD Jakes and 'Woman thou art loosed'. It was Jesus and still is.

Shimmie – I’ve done the same thing in the past to get over the hurt by prayer and reading the word of God. And God restored and healed my broken heart.

I didn’t like the pain and didn’t want to experience that again. I was honest with God and asked how I can avoid this tragedy in the near future. Over time the Lord began to answer my question. And Lord knows this helped me out in 2010!

1. I had to stop blaming others for my downfall and take responsibility. I had to take a look within and discover my weaknesses.

2. I came across the verse that said every spirit is not of God; test the spirit to see if it is of God.

A light bulb in my head appeared. I realized that the devil hears my prayers too, and sadly he is out to steal, kill, and destroy the promises of God. I realized in the past that I wasn’t being discerning and asking the right questions in the very beginning when a man approached me. Once I started asking the right questions, testing the spirit, and being prayerful the Lord protected my heart and emotions from the evil one.

When the Lord revealed the man’s character, personality, and intentions that I wouldn’t tolerate in a committed relationship, I had to leave that man alone. I didn’t have time to compromise, second guess, or get a friend’s opinion. I had to be obedient and leave.

I had to exercise my faith and say, he’s not the one for ME and I believe the right one for ME will come along. If I become involved in a dead end relationship, I will delay the one for ME.

I believe as women we need to guard our hearts. And guarding your heart is simply having standards, boundaries, and asking God for the spirit of discernment and wisdom.

Shimmie

Staff member
Wow, just wow at all of the wonderful dialogue up in here:yep:. **Sighs** This subject is something I have been telling others for quite some time now. It is why I have said to be careful when all of your friends are men. It is why I have said there are no BC methods will that guard your heart and soul. Some get it, some don't:nono:.

God is not a cosmic kill joy but rather He wants to protect us from the myriad of needless pains that are out there. He wants us to have only originals, not counterfeits:nono:. The world says we are ignorant slaves. When living in His will, we are the only ones who are truly free.
Excellent article OP and very timely.

Thanks so much for sharing it. I pray it will open the eyes of many who read it.:rosebud:

Shimmie, I love this... "Father, I 'would' be free..."

2 Cor 3:17
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Shimmie – I’ve done the same thing in the past to get over the hurt by prayer and reading the word of God. And God restored and healed my broken heart.

I didn’t like the pain and didn’t want to experience that again. I was honest with God and asked how I can avoid this tragedy in the near future. Over time the Lord began to answer my question. And Lord knows this helped me out in 2010!

I had to stop blaming others for my downfall and take responsibility. I had to take a look within and discover my weaknesses.

2. I came across the verse that said every spirit is not of God; test the spirit to see if it is of God.

A light bulb in my head appeared. I realized that the devil hears my prayers too, and sadly he is out to steal, kill, and destroy the promises of God. I realized in the past that I wasn’t being discerning and asking the right questions in the very beginning when a man approached me. Once I started asking the right questions, testing the spirit, and being prayerful the Lord protected my heart and emotions from the evil one.

When the Lord revealed the man’s character, personality, and intentions that I wouldn’t tolerate in a committed relationship, I had to leave that man alone. I didn’t have time to compromise, second guess, or get a friend’s opinion. I had to be obedient and leave.

I had to exercise my faith and say, he’s not the one for ME and I believe the right one for ME will come along. If I become involved in a dead end relationship, I will delay the one for ME.

I believe as women we need to guard our hearts. And guarding your heart is simply having standards, boundaries, and asking God for the spirit of discernment and wisdom.

Prudent1 and PinkPebbles, your posts are such a blessing and knowing you both is even more dear to my heart. :kiss:

You know what sweet loves? ... you each remember when Jesus went to the cross, the chastisement of our peace was upon Him :yep: :yep: :yep:

.... that of all which pertained to us, was carried upon His shoulders, that which includes our emotions. Jesus took our emotions upon His shoulders and they were nailed to the Cross along with Him and unlike Jesus who was removed from the Cross, our sins, our burdens, our emotions - misplaced, remained upon that Cross completely Covered in the Blood that Jesus shed while He was nailed upon it. Jesus left it there.

All that Jesus carried for us was left upon that Cross, Jesus left it there with His Blood covering every single area of our lives.

Our Lord God above and the measure of His love for us... How great is the measure of our Father's love. So great, so great....so great is the measure of our Father's love... Bless His Holy Name... Jesus. Amen and Amen. :Rose:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Nicola, I like [and agree] with your view much more than the article. This is not disparaging the author, but your personal view makes more sense.

You, Nissi, Pink Pebbles and Laela are in the same flow... I took it North East South and West of the border. :look:

Excellent thread and excellent responses.

I love the "one day, I was hurting...and the next day, I wasn't." That is God's power in us. :yep: And it's encouragement to any woman who feels like she just can't get over this man. God is a healer, and He will heal broken hearts, too.

With emotional bonds, I've also thought about the story in Acts where Paul is bitten by the viper (snake=Satan) but does not die. And there was a service I attended once where the minister was saying that that's exactly what the Lord does in our lives--makes us immune to the vipers. Satan will definitely send counterfeits. We may even get taken up with them and bitten. But ultimately, where the venom would kill others, we will remain in good health and strong in the Lord. We will not wither and succomb to heartache and discouragement. We don't have to!

I do think that there is good in our "emotionality". In this fallen world, though, we just have to be wise.

PinkPebbles

I'm enjoying the discussion in this thread, and felt compelled to come back!

I hope no one gives up on love due to heartache or unfortunate circumstances. Love is a beautiful thing to have because God created it.

God is love and He created each one of us out of love. The greatest commandment is to love God, and to love one another.

We all know that when God creates something pure and special for his children the enemy finds a way to pervert and divert its original intent. Therefore, as children of God we have to be wise and not ignorant of satan devices. And I believe this is what the article is forewarning us about.

We cannot cast our pearls to the swine...

My prayer is that each of us will experience the love of God, and the love that God created for man and woman. Love is powerful and is capable of doing wonderful things in a person's life. God definitely created it for a reason.

If we observe the behavior and life of a child that is loved by their parents, that child has confidence, strength, joy, peace, laughter, smiles; he/she is talkative and friendly. Likewise, as adults when we experience that type of love from Abba Father, and with the right person it takes us to the next level. Love motivates us to do good, cherish the people in our lives, bless others and go that extra mile.

Love is beautiful...no wonder the body needs the heart to survive. It's the place where love resides :heart2:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
I love the "one day, I was hurting...and the next day, I wasn't."

That is God's power in us. :yep: And it's encouragement to any woman who feels like she just can't get over this man. God is a healer, and He will heal broken hearts, too.

With emotional bonds, I've also thought about the story in Acts where Paul is bitten by the viper (snake=Satan) but does not die. And there was a service I attended once where the minister was saying that that's exactly what the Lord does in our lives--makes us immune to the vipers.

Satan will definitely send counterfeits. We may even get taken up with them and bitten. But ultimately, where the venom would kill others, we will remain in good health and strong in the Lord. We will not wither and succomb to heartache and discouragement. We don't have to!

I do think that there is good in our "emotionality". In this fallen world, though, we just have to be wise

The healing was a process, indeed. Yet the moment I prayed, "Father, I would be free..." , God put me to sleep (as He did Adam) and I woke up the next morning, 'free' indeed. :yep:

To this very day, I cannot remember what it was I felt for the man I was emotionally attached to. God did a Poof with that. :lol:

It's interesting that you mentioned the 'viper' that bit Paul. Paul simply 'shook it off into the fire'... the fire where it belonged burning to ashes.

As He promised us in Isaiah 61:3, God gives us 'Beauty for Ashes'...

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them "Beauty for Ashes", the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified." —Isaiah 61:3.

To the 'Ladies' ... the Beauties of Love and Emotions...

You each wear beautiful garments of praise, you glow with the oil of joy, so wave your beautiful branches of love and emotion, for you are adorned with Righteousness to cover the earth with God's glory.

What a beauty you are... :gorgeous: And a sweet fragrance unto the Lord.

If I've learned nothing else in this life... no one can love a man better thatn a woman of God whom God has placed in his life for whatever reason. For she will pray for him; she will 'cover' him, she will surround him with the armour of protection that surpasses all that of the world and it's deceptive counterfiets.

No one can love a man better than 'we' who love God. For it's the love of God which flows through us which cannot be compromised or copied or hidden from it's purpose which God has ordained from the foundations of the earth.

Last edited:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
For Valentine's Day:

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life." Ps. 143:8

Hoping for mended, protected and cherished hearts for all the ladies here. Blessings.

Prudent1

For Valentine's Day:

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life." Ps. 143:8

Hoping for mended, protected and cherished hearts for all the ladies here. Blessings.
:rosebud: nicola.kirwan, this is simply beautiful:yep:. Happy Valentine's Day to all especially to our first love- Jesus:heart2:.