Walking in Purity

LoveisYou

Hey Ladies,

I think it would be great to have a thread dedicated to "walking in purity." This thread is for women who desire to be obedient to God and walk in purity and to present our bodies as a living sacrifice. I think it's great to have a thread dedicated to this topic, because we live in a world where there's an onslaught on purity.

So post any articles, scriptures, videos, words of encouragement etc. on the topic. Through Chrisit we can do this!

Psalm 51

1--Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

2--Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

3--For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

4--Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

5--Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

6--Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

7--Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8--Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

9--Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

10--Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11--Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12--Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

13--Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

14--Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

15 --O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.

16 --For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

17--The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

18--Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.

19--Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

A farmer planted two fruit trees on opposite sides of his property. The one he planted to provide a hedge hide the unsightly view of an old landfill; the other to provide shade to rest under near a cool mountain stream which ran down beside his fields. As the two trees grew, both produced began to flower and bear fruit.

One day the farmer decided to gather the fruit from the tree nearest his house – the one used to provide a hedge from the landfill. As he brought the fruit inside the house, he noticed that it was a little deformed – the symmetry of the fruit was not very good, but still the fruit looked edible. Later that evening, while sitting on his porch the farmer took one of the pieces of fruit for a snack. Biting into the fruit, he found it to be extremely bitter, and completely inedible. Casting the fruit aside he looked across the field to the other tree over by the mountain stream. After walking across the field, the farmer took a piece of the fruit from the other tree and bit into it. Find the fruit to be sweet and delicious he gathered several more pieces of fruit and took them to the house.

The fruit was greatly affected by the nutrition of the root. Just as the tree grew by the landfill to be bitter, and the tree by the stream produced sweet fruit, so the Christian has a choice. He can either put down his roots into the soil of the landfill of fleshly pursuits, or into the cool refreshing stream of the person of Jesus Christ. We must understand that the root bears the fruit. The fruit of the Christian is the outward evidence of the inward motivation.

When you walk with the Lord in purity and holiness, you can be sure that you will receive the nourishment needed to produce healthy, growing fruit.

A farmer planted two fruit trees on opposite sides of his property. The one he planted to provide a hedge hide the unsightly view of an old landfill; the other to provide shade to rest under near a cool mountain stream which ran down beside his fields. As the two trees grew, both produced began to flower and bear fruit.

One day the farmer decided to gather the fruit from the tree nearest his house – the one used to provide a hedge from the landfill. As he brought the fruit inside the house, he noticed that it was a little deformed – the symmetry of the fruit was not very good, but still the fruit looked edible. Later that evening, while sitting on his porch the farmer took one of the pieces of fruit for a snack. Biting into the fruit, he found it to be extremely bitter, and completely inedible. Casting the fruit aside he looked across the field to the other tree over by the mountain stream. After walking across the field, the farmer took a piece of the fruit from the other tree and bit into it. Find the fruit to be sweet and delicious he gathered several more pieces of fruit and took them to the house.

The fruit was greatly affected by the nutrition of the root. Just as the tree grew by the landfill to be bitter, and the tree by the stream produced sweet fruit, so the Christian has a choice. He can either put down his roots into the soil of the landfill of fleshly pursuits, or into the cool refreshing stream of the person of Jesus Christ. We must understand that the root bears the fruit. The fruit of the Christian is the outward evidence of the inward motivation.

When you walk with the Lord in purity and holiness, you can be sure that you will receive the nourishment needed to produce healthy, growing fruit.

Hi Pastor,

The Holy Spirit is talking through you.
I am being blessed by this.

Thank you,
Choisie

Amplified Bible (AMP)

A Psalm for us all:

BOOK ONE - PSALMS 1
1 [a]BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather.
2 But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night.
3 And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity].
4 Not so the wicked [those disobedient and living without God are not so]. But they are like the chaff [worthless, dead, without substance] which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the wicked [those disobedient and living without God] shall not stand [justified] in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous [those who are upright and in right standing with God].
6 For the Lord knows and is fully acquainted with the way of the righteous, but the way of the ungodly [those living outside God's will] shall perish (end in ruin and come to nought).

PHILIPPIANS 4
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

PROVERBS 4
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.
24 Keep your mouth free of perversity;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
25 Let your eyes look straight ahead;
fix your gaze directly before you.
26 Give careful thought to the[c] paths for your feet
and be steadfast in all your ways.
27 Do not turn to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.

Purity when Courting..........(what does that look like)

After reading Heather Lindsey's story, I am inspired. I think it's great they waited until their wedding day to kiss. I know many of us plan/hope to wait until our wedding day to be intimate with a man, but I've never thought about waiting until then to kiss.

As believers I think one of the key things for us is to be careful about the situations we place ourselves during dating/courtship. After all, we're human, and sometimes the flesh is well....on fire. How do we guard our hearts and minds?

I haven't dated anyone in awhile, in fact, I haven't dated (except for going to dinner once or twice) since I really committed myself to God. I think about purity as I think about starting to date/court again. In fact, I plan to be courted and will no longer date....

any thoughts

Last edited:
Just wanted to share this interesting article. Our society has all but given up on our young people. Let's encourage them and support SRA :yep:

From LifeNews

New Study Shows Abstinence Education Effective

by Rachel Turner | LifeNews.com | 3/30/12 5:46 PM

Research published this week revealed more evidence that a Sexual Risk Avoidance (SRA) abstinence program is effective in delaying sexual onset. Four major conclusions are drawn from the article, entitled, Impact of the Choosing the Best Program in Communities Committed to Abstinence Education.

Students in an SRA class were more likely to delay the onset of sexual activity from pre to posttest than their peers. The findings of this study are more realistic and relevant than the Jemmott study on abstinence, as well as most “comprehensive” sex ed. research since the study occurred in schools.
The study was conducted with schools and communities that supported the SRA abstinence message for their students SRA messages must be reinforced throughout the teen years in order to sustain effect.

Choosing the Best Journey, a SRA abstinence-centered program, conducted a randomized, controlled study with 9th grade students. Students were surveyed at the beginning of the 9th grade and received a follow up survey at the end of the year. At the conclusion of the 9th grade, students who were part of the 8-lesson SRA program were 1.5 times more likely to delay sex than the control group. In addition, the study found that the more lessons students received, the less likely they were to initiate sex. The study is important because the rigorous design was implemented in a classroom setting, the typical site for sex education, which makes the results much more realistic and relevant than the Jemmott abstinence study[1] and most Sexual Risk Reduction (SRR) contraceptive-centered research, which were typically not conducted in a school-based setting.[2]

The setting is additionally important because the study stresses that the program was implemented in the schools that desired this type of education. This confirms that there is significant community buy in across the country for SRA programs. This finding corroborates the results of a report recently released by HHS in which 70% of parents favored a clear SRA message for their children.[3]

The study’s findings also reiterated the importance of reinforcing the abstinence message in order to maintain initial behavioral effects. Without bolstering the message each year, the results greatly diminished, suggesting that the overwhelmingly sexual communications teens receive from multiple venues has a negative and neutralizing influence.

Valerie Huber, Executive Director of NAEA, commented: “This new study adds to 22 other peer reviewed studies showing SRA education has a positive impact on student sexual behavior. This rigorous research design adds an important exclamation point to the efficacy of abstinence-centered education. Schools that are eager to implement a sex education strategy that helps their students avoid all the risks of teen sex should take this study seriously. Officials who are crafting sex education policies at the state and federal levels should also take the results seriously. “

The report was released at a crucial time in policymaking decisions. Several states are currently revisiting their sex education laws, while Congress is about to consider the President’s FY 2013 budget which calls for an end to SRA programs.

“Anyone who opposes SRA abstinence-centered education must be honest in their antagonism. They can no longer say that the approach ‘doesn’t work,’ but must admit that their opposition is simply an ideological distaste for programs that encourage teens to wait for sex,” added Huber.

Read the entire study here.

Purity when Courting..........(what does that look like)

After reading Heather Lindsey's story, I am inspired. I think it's great they waited until their wedding day to kiss. I know many of us plan/hope to wait until our wedding day to be intimate with a man, but I've never thought about waiting until then to kiss.

As believers I think one of the key things for us is to be careful about the situations we place ourselves during dating/courtship. After all, we're human, and sometimes the flesh is well....on fire. How do we guard our hearts and minds?

I haven't dated anyone in awhile, in fact, I haven't dated (except for going to dinner once or twice) since I really committed myself to God. I think about purity as I think about starting to date/court again. In fact, I plan to be courted and will no longer date....

any thoughts

This is what helped me when I was courting (this August will be my 8th wedding anniversary):

1. Take advantage of double-dates or hanging out in groups

2. If doing #1, then make sure it's with friends/associates who share your values

3. Don't do anything that you wouldn't feel comfortable doing in front of your parents :lol:

4. Don't be afraid to establish boundaries...and when you do, KEEP them :yep:

5. If he's not on the same page as you, doesn't share your values, or doesn't respect your beliefs/boundaries then you CAN'T change him, so don't stick around and try to.

HTH!

Just revisiting this thread! Just wanted to share my personal testimony.
I am in a serious relationship and I am planning to continue to honor God in our relationship. I am a virgin and my boyfriend is celibate with me. I ask that you all support me in our walk with purity until marriage. With so much displayed in the media, it makes this journey SO HARD. When you truly care for someone, naturally you want to be intimate.

Galadriel, can you share more that helped you while you were courting? It helps to hear how others honored God with their relationship that lead to marriage.

Just revisiting this thread! Just wanted to share my personal testimony.
I am in a serious relationship and I am planning to continue to honor God in our relationship. I am a virgin and my boyfriend is celibate with me. I ask that you all support me in our walk with purity until marriage. With so much displayed in the media, it makes this journey SO HARD. When you truly care for someone, naturally you want to be intimate.

@Galadriel, can you share more that helped you while you were courting? It helps to hear how others honored God with their relationship that lead to marriage.

Edit: Wow, I didn't even realize I had posted a while ago and gave an almost identical answer :lol:.

To give something new/fresh, I would also add that understanding what love is, what marriage is, help put our courtship into perspective. Romantic love is beautiful, and it's awesome, but it comes in the context of certain duties and responsibilities to ourselves, each other, our children, and God.

Does that make sense?

Sorry if my answer is too short, I've got a crying baby :drunk:

@delitefulmane

Thanks so much for the mention!

Here are some things that helped me:

1. know your boundaries, and communicate them, and agree on them.

2. In terms of romantic expression--don't do anything that you wouldn't do in front of your parents.

3. Double dates and group activities are great :yep:

4. If/when engaged, definitely do pre-marital counseling through your church or pastor.

5. Pray together, attend church together, build each other up emotionally and spiritually.

Last edited:
Back