Is There A Gel That Doesn't Flake?

Britt

Am I searching for an impossibility? :whyme:
I'm currently wearing braids but have my edges left out. Even so, I'm able to see that my gels are giving me little white balls/flakes. So far I've used the Eco styler flaxseed gel, creme of nature edge control, just bought the Mane choice gold twisting gel, and also the Camille Rose gel. All of these give yucky white flakes. When I was natural this was my number hair issue -- finding a perfect styler. The styler that I LOVED the formulation was changed but it was a creme gel consistency and PERFECT. Seeing that I'll be natural again by summer, I'm already thinking of a gel or cream gel that doesn't flake. Does this exist? When I was fully natural I tried tons of different twist out products and nothing at all compared to the original version of Darcy's botanicals creme gel.

Britt

Thanks ladies! I’ll keep trying. I do remember when i was natural some gels and products underneath don’t mix bc it wouldn’t even mix together in my palms so i knew on my hair it would be a bust.

Alma Petra

I get more flakes on my natural twa than my texlaxed ends so I think that porosity plays a role in this as well. Low po hair will not absorb much of the leave in, and it will then tend to flake. So you might need to decrease the amount of leave in or use a less creamy more watery leave in. And probably also apply less gel?

One leave in that has less potential to flake is Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. It also smoothes rather than frizzes the curls. And it has some glycerin in it thus gives more shine.

BeautifulRoots

My trick is to mix it with a decent amount of oils in your hair while its wet.:yep: like put your leave in first, and then either put the oil on top of that or on top of the gel and it kills the crunchiness which also causes flakes.

At least that's how it works for me ☺☺☺

This. I've been able to have flake free hair doing the leave in, oil, then gel method as well. As far as a particular gel, I recommend kinky curly curling custard.

Alma Petra

A lot of oil or just a little bit of oil? Because I generally seal my hair with a bit of oil before I apply the gel but I still get flakes sometimes depending on how much leave-in and gel I use.

SmilingElephant

A lot of oil or just a little bit of oil? Because I generally seal my hair with a bit of oil before I apply the gel but I still get flakes sometimes depending on how much leave-in and gel I use.

I personally use LOTS of leave in conditioner and then I'll use about a teaspoon or tablespoon amount of oil per side...I do my hair in halves...but it's best to experiment to find your perfect balance :)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Ossat form and hold wax. It's consistency is that of an edge control but it works well for the length of the hair as well.

Y'all are sleeping on this. It's my favorite styler and edge control and I can even comb and smooth the hair once it's dried. No flakes, no build up, no greasiness yet all day hold. It's a bit hard to find so I buy as many as I can in fear of it being discontinued.