IS RELAXED HAIR MORE PRONE TO SPLIT ENDS THAN.....

SherryLove

I was wondering if relaxed hair is more prone to get split ends than natural hair is????I would think yes because it is in a more fragile state.....What are your thoughts????Especially the ladies who have transitioned back to nature.....Do you find your hair has less split ends than it did when it was relaxed??? I am curious to know...As some of you ladies know,,, I am seriously contemplating returning my tresses back to their natural state ....

Re: IS RELAXED HAIR MORE PRONE TO SPLIT ENDS THAN.

well, i know my hair was, definitely!!!!!

i rarely even have to trim now

in my experience. i got more split ends when i was natural but that was proberly due to lack of care and less frequent trims. the 3 years i was natural i trimmed once
look.gif

I think relaxed hair is more vulnerable to split ends, if its not take care of, than natural hair.

I'm apparently not prone to slip ends in my natural or relaxed state. I saw very few when relaxed and none since I've been natural.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

[/ QUOTE ]

IR,,,,,When was your last trim????

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
I'm apparently not prone to slip ends in my natural or relaxed state. I saw very few when relaxed and none since I've been natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW....you must have one strong head of hair.....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i'm not sure but lets think about it.
the reason our hair is so dry is due to the curl pattern right? so the natural sebum that the scalp produces does'nt travel down the hair shaft(cause of the curls) resulting in dry hair. but relaxed hair which is straight - would'nt the sebum be able to travel all the way down the hair shaft.

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
I'm apparently not prone to split ends in my natural or relaxed state.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I was wondering if relaxed hair is more prone to get split ends than natural hair is????I would think yes because it is in a more fragile state.....What are your thoughts????Especially the ladies who have transitioned back to nature.....Do you find your hair has less split ends than it did when it was relaxed??? I am curious to know...As some of you ladies know,,, I am seriously contemplating returning my tresses back to their natural state ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherrylove, Are you thinking about transitioning too? Do u have a problem with split ends?

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
i'm not sure but lets think about it.
the reason our hair is so dry is due to the curl pattern right? so the natural sebum that the scalp produces does'nt travel down the hair shaft(cause of the curls) resulting in dry hair. but relaxed hair which is straight - would'nt the sebum be able to travel all the way down the hair shaft.

[/ QUOTE ] ok... but the relaxer breaks down the cortex and proteins that help to keep the hair bond strong.....i feel so bad because I cannot remember my the ends of my hair in a relaxed state, but I do know my hair was thick and wavy as heck...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

[/ QUOTE ]

IR,,,,,When was your last trim????

[/ QUOTE ] i dont even know girl. i really only dust the ends when i straighten, which can be months at a time without touching them, or just a couple months in between, its just depends on when i straighten.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherrylove, Are you thinking about transitioning too? Do u have a problem with split ends?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking about it a while, but i was really wondering if i would have the full freedom to let my hair grow its natural state without trimming it.....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
No, PB, I am not having a problem with split ends......I am getting so inspired by and envious of all these sistas with BEAUTIFUL healthy looking natural hair.....

i really dont know. for ME..i had more split ends while relaxed. now that i am natural..i trim maybe 2 or 3 times a year. my last trim was march and i am not witnessing any split ends or knots.

i think it is all relative (if that makes sense) in my honest opinion..i think it is all about the care/treatment of the hair.

one of the myths that i encountered since being natural is..people thinking that you can do whatever..however..and whenever to "natural" hair because its stronger (in its virgin state) u can impose just as much harm to natural hair as you can chemically treated hair. (TRUST ME! I KNOW..i had to do a 2nd big chop back in dec..due to my NOT knowing how to handle my natural hair during the first year)

u live..u learn

I do believe that natural hair may have the opportunity to have fewer split ends. But being natural does not guarantee fewer split ends.

I haven't trimmed my hair since last August and my SIL examined my hair the other day and said I did not need a trimmed right now b/c she saw no evidence of split ends.

However - I believe having or not having split ends depends on how a person treats their hair (relaxed or natural). Think about it, other races have split ends too and most other races do not have "type 4" hair.

[ QUOTE ]
gabrielle2 said:
i really dont know. for ME..i had more split ends while relaxed. now that i am natural..i trim maybe 2 or 3 times a year. my last trim was march and i am not witnessing any split ends or knots.

i think it is all relative (if that makes sense) in my honest opinion..i think it is all about the care/treatment of the hair.

one of the myths that i encountered since being natural is..people thinking that you can do whatever..however..and whenever to "natural" hair because its stronger (in its virgin state) u can impose just as much harm to natural hair as you can chemically treated hair. (TRUST ME! I KNOW..i had to do a 2nd big chop back in dec..due to my NOT knowing how to handle my natural hair during the first year)

u live..u learn

[/ QUOTE ]

that was very enlightening, Gabrielle2.....thank you..
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I did have more split ends when I was relaxed than I do now that I'm natural. I do think that relaxed hair is more prone to split ends simply because bonds are being broken in order to get the hair straight. This makes it more fragile.

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking about it a while, but i was really wondering if i would have the full freedom to let my hair grow its natural state without trimming it.....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
No, PB, I am not having a problem with split ends......I am getting so inspired by and envious of all these sistas with BEAUTIFUL healthy looking natural hair.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Ive been inspired by the healthy and long natural hair. Before I ever got a relaxer when I was 8 or 9, I dont remember my mom ever trimming my hair...well I hardly get trims as it is as a relaxed head. Ive never had a problem with split ends either.

If I have split ends I don't notice them becuase of my hairs texture. My hair continues to grow and I am not trimmer. I did more trimming when I was relaxed.

[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:
I do believe that natural hair may have the opportunity to have fewer split ends. But being natural does not guarantee fewer split ends.

I haven't trimmed my hair since last August and my SIL examined my hair the other day and said I did not need a trimmed right now b/c she saw no evidence of split ends.

However - I believe having or not having split ends depends on how a person treats their hair (relaxed or natural). Think about it, other races have split ends too and most other races do not have "type 4" hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. As long as I don't use heat and I am very gentle with combing my hair, I don't have any split ends whatsoever
smile.gif

I had more splits when natural than I do now. I know my splitting issues had to do w/the direct heat used when natural. Though the hair is altered by relaxing I think the care of the hair in either state is paramount, and health of the ends is tantamount to the amount of heat you utilize.

You ladies are so inspirational as well as informative. Thank U..... The relaxer that was put in my hair last month will definitely be the last.........Given the way I take good care of my tresses, I probably would not have to trim my hair often at all...

Hmmm, this is an interesting question
scratchchin.gif
. I think that bone-straight relaxed hair could be prone to more split ends because all of the elasticity and tensile strength is taken out of the hair. That is, the bone-straight relaxer that one gets today could end up being split ends a year from now.

I also feel that it also has to do with how one takes care of their hair. Regular conditioner washes seem to help both relaxed and natural heads keep moisture in the hair, which wards off split ends.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
You ladies are so inspirational as well as informative. Thank U..... The relaxer that was put in my hair last month will definitely be the last.........Given the way I take good care of my tresses, I probably would not have to trim my hair often at all...

[/ QUOTE ] wow girl!! so you are gonna transition???? very cool
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ] wow girl!! so you are gonna transition???? very cool
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, I say it is so......
smile.gif
smile.gif

It is mostly in the care of the hair for me. My hair never grew past neck-length for years and it was 100% natural (no relaxers, no color. Pressing comb 1x a year or less). It never grew past my neck relaxed either, until I started taking care of it. I saw maybe 15 splits in a 9 month period when I started treating my hair right, and I was retaining length like mad.

Wow Sherrylove,
it's strange to hear you say this. You are one of the top 5 inspirations on the board I would imagine. Have u been having bad experiences with relaxers, or did the phytorelaxer do some damage. Some of my hair came out, but I thought it was because I need to cut my hair. Anyways, please let me know why u decided, does it have to do with the experiences you had too?

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
It is mostly in the care of the hair for me. My hair never grew past neck-length for years and it was 100% natural (no relaxers, no color. Pressing comb 1x a year or less). It never grew past my neck relaxed either, until I started taking care of it. I saw maybe 15 splits in a 9 month period when I started treating my hair right, and I was retaining length like mad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umsumayyah -- are you relaxed now or natural????

I'm relaxed and am forever getting splits, even before dye came into the scene, something was always wrong.
laugh.gif

Back