Is Jojoba a Moisturizing Oil?

Soliel185

:look: Okay - hear me out. I know that technically oils don't moisturize - they only seal. But it's been scientifically proven that Jojoba is the closest substance to human sebrum - which is what nature intended to moisturize our hair anyway. The reason why AA hair is dry is that due to its' naturally curly structure the sebrum can't make it all the way down the hair shaft. I've just been noticing that since I started using Jojoba it doesn't make my hair feel the way other oils do - today I flat ironed with no added moisturizer b/c I didn't need it. Just jojoba and a little heat protectant. SO -- do you think it's possible that jojoba is actually a moisturizing oil?

As far as i know, it's a sealant. But make it do what it do. If your using it as a moisturizer and your hair is thriving, more power to ya!! Happy hair growing.:p

I wondered this also. Supposedly its composition is almost exactly like sebum. And i f thats what keeps other hair types moisturized, or for some GREASY after one day of not washing, why wouldn't it moisturize? Is it possible that some oils are sealants and some becuase of their compostion can moisturize? When i used jojoba religiously my hair was very soft and moisturized but not greasy. my hair seems to absorb it.

IMO, some oils really do replicate the same properties as sebum from the scalp. I think jojoba moisturizes... although I wouldn't use it with a moisturizer/leave-in first.

I did some research about it on this site and according to Supergirl it is a moisturizer and so is Apricot Kernal Oil.

I think it does moisturize. It's one of the few oils that can penetrate into the hair strand instead of just sit on top.

LadyEsquire said:
i cosign on this. jojoba seems to seap into the hair shaft better than most oils. :)

ITA. I use it as a moisturiser and my hair is soft and moisturised as a resuly. ;)

Kurlee said:
I wondered this also. Supposedly its composition is almost exactly like sebum. And i f thats what keeps other hair types moisturized, or for some GREASY after one day of not washing, why wouldn't it moisturize? Is it possible that some oils are sealants and some becuase of their compostion can moisturize? When i used jojoba religiously my hair was very soft and moisturized but not greasy. my hair seems to absorb it.

how do u apply Kurlee?
TIA

I use jojoba to cut most oils and that makes them work better for my hair. Dunno why that is, but even amla oil I don't use straight because it just kind of sits there and does nothing.

-A

Pokahontas said:
I think it does moisturize. It's one of the few oils that can penetrate into the hair strand instead of just sit on top.

I agree it is an essential oil. So yes it does moisturize, funny you mention this, because I was going to start using this and olive oil as moisturizer along with some leave in conditioner QP anyway this stuff is great! I used it for my daughter too! she is 6 months old.

i add ylang ylang to it for scent and if im gonna braid my hair (my own hair), i use it. Sometimes i use it on my ends on before i slick my hair back under gel. Or when i wear my hair striaght. its the best at keeping it soft.

Yes - I noticed that my hair is alot softer when using it - some oils, like coconut in my case - actually make my hair feel hard in a way. I used a glycerine, aloe vera, and water mix in a spray bottle on my new growth, and then use jojoba on the ends everyday. I have some in a spray bottle that I spray around my roots and then brush down the hairshaft when I flat iron. It works well both ways.

PS: I got a blunt cut over a month ago and all my ends are still smooth and even - I really think the jojoba oil is making the difference. :D

Soliel185 said:
:look: Okay - hear me out. I know that technically oils don't moisturize - they only seal. But it's been scientifically proven that Jojoba is the closest substance to human sebrum - which is what nature intended to moisturize our hair anyway. The reason why AA hair is dry is that due to its' naturally curly structure the sebrum can't make it all the way down the hair shaft. I've just been noticing that since I started using Jojoba it doesn't make my hair feel the way other oils do - today I flat ironed with no added moisturizer b/c I didn't need it. Just jojoba and a little heat protectant. SO -- do you think it's possible that jojoba is actually a moisturizing oil?

But see, sebum is not a moisturizer either though, and like jojoba it is a actually a wax. Sebum is a coating for the hair shaft and skin to protect the hair/skin against moisture loss. It is only meant to waterproof the hair, because what use would it be as a protectant to penetrate? Without it, any moisture we retain would evaporate into the air and we'd be forever dried out. Again, moisturization is ONLY a characteristic of WATER. H2O . Hydration=Moisturization, and you can only hydrate something with water.

Oils repel water, even jojoba and sebum. Softness, shine, and pliablility are characteristics of moisturized hair, and oil can definitely accomplish this for you--but that still is not moisture. Penetration does not equal moisturization either. :nono: Lots of things can penetrate the hair (especially damaged or porous hair)-- some proteins, relaxers, color chemicals all penetrate and none of those are moisturizing the hair.

You don't have to use a daily moisturizer per se' to keep the hair moisturized. In fact, I think the best moisturizing is done via your deep conditioning process. When you deep condition, true moisture is able to be asborbed deep to the cortical layers of the hair. Anything you apply after that is helping your hair retain that hydration source. Daily moisturizers help keep moisture levels up if you need extra along the way. I know y'all are tired of me saying this, but oils simply do not moisturize. It is not their chemical nature.

If any of you get a chance, please check out a book by John Halal called Hair Structure and Chemistry Simplified. I strongly encourage you to read this. Amazon has it for about $40 something bucks. You can read all about moisturization for the hair, and the chemical actions of oils. It is a science book, but it is very easy to read.

Last edited:
Well, this set us straight. Thanks Sistaslick for doing so.

Sistaslick said:
But see, sebum is not a moisturizer either though, and like jojoba it is a actually a wax. Sebum is a coating for the hair shaft and skin to protect the hair/skin against moisture loss. It is only meant to waterproof the hair, because what use would it be as a protectant to penetrate? Without it, any moisture we retain would evaporate into the air and we'd be forever dried out. Again, moisturization is ONLY a characteristic of WATER. H2O . Hydration=Moisturization, and you can only hydrate something with water.

Oils repel water, even jojoba and sebum. Softness, shine, and pliablility are characteristics of moisturized hair, and oil can definitely accomplish this for you--but that still is not moisture. Penetration does not equal moisturization either. :nono: Lots of things can penetrate the hair (especially damaged or porous hair)-- some proteins, relaxers, color chemicals all penetrate and none of those are moisturizing the hair.

You don't have to use a daily moisturizer per se' to keep the hair moisturized. In fact, I think the best moisturizing is done via your deep conditioning process. When you deep condition, true moisture is able to be asborbed deep to the cortical layers of the hair. Anything you apply after that is helping your hair retain that hydration source. Daily moisturizers help keep moisture levels up if you need extra along the way. I know y'all are tired of me saying this, but oils simply do not moisturize. It is not their chemical nature.

If any of you get a chance, please check out a book by John Halal called Hair Structure and Chemistry Simplified. I strongly encourage you to read this. Amazon has it for about $40 something bucks. You can read all about moisturization for the hair, and the chemical actions of oils. It is a science book, but it is very easy to read.

Sistaslick said:

Wow! She does it again.:eek: :lol:

But seriously, I think people are getting moisture and lubrication mixed up. Both of them feels good as hell, but are oh so different.

LocksOfLuV said:
Wow! She does it again.:eek: :lol:

But seriously, I think people are getting moisture and lubrication mixed up. Both of them feels good as hell, but are oh so different.

Yeah I think this is the case. Because Vatika makes my hair feel sooo nice and soft, too. I can definitely understand the confusion.

This is good information. I am now mixing jojoba oil in my shea butter oil mixture with good results.

Soliel185 said:

Kurlee said:
i add ylang ylang to it for scent and if im gonna braid my hair (my own hair), i use it. Sometimes i use it on my ends on before i slick my hair back under gel. Or when i wear my hair striaght. its the best at keeping it soft.

thanks kurlee

Pokahontas said:

Exactly. Especially if it is organic. Jojoba is not really a "oil" either. More like a butter in oil form. (if that makes sense) Since it is so delicate that is why it gets "lost" when mixed with essential oils. It is best to use jojoba by itself.

LovetheLord said:
I agree it is an essential oil. So yes it does moisturize, funny you mention this, because I was going to start using this and olive oil as moisturizer along with some leave in conditioner QP anyway this stuff is great! I used it for my daughter too! she is 6 months old.

Jojoba is not an essential oil...

Sistaslick said:

I have read the Jojoba is more like a wax than an oil. In this regard it much more successful ( in my experience ) when it comes to sealing any existing moisture into my hair. I only flat iron once a week after my DC. When I use Jojoba afterwards - it eliminates the need for me to add another topical moisturizer - which would go along with what you were saying about oils and their moisturizing properties. Also - I never apply anything to my hair without at least spritzing with water first - I find that this makes a huge difference between hair that feels soft and flexible vs hard and oily. The moisture is absorbed rather than lying on top of my hair. Jojoba probably also helps with flat ironing because of this - it seals the moisture into the hair shaft so the heat source isn't able to dry it out.

Back