Is it really possible to restore thinned out edges . . .

Glib Gurl

. . . or am I just kidding myself? I'm using BB Growth Oil to try and thicken up some thin spots around my edges. (BT didn't do much for me, so I've switched to BB.) When I use it regularly, I do notice that my hair is a little thicker around the hairline. (Or rather, when I fail to use it, I notice my hair appears thinner around the hairline.) But is there really anyway to grow back hair where it has thinned out as a result of pulling, tugging, continuous parts, etc?

Any advice from those who have dealt with thinning hair along their edges?

Thanks,

GG

nappity

There's a recipe in this segment with rosemary and jojoba and atlas cedarwood and other essential oils etc.. ill try to find the post.
I know that an old country recipe was rosemary and jamaican black castor oil-and massage daily.
Its one tbsp JBCO and 10 drops of rosemary e.o.

If you are relaxing the relaxer may be staying on too long...
Found it--- had to cut and paste cause i dont knw how to link the posts
Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth

1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil - 3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil - 3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons

Add the first four ingredients into a small glass jar. Mix well. Now add the remaining two ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Massage this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment.

Dermatologists at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary in Scotland gave 43 people, suffering from a rare autoimmune disorder that causes patchy hair loss, the essential oil blend described above and asked them to rub it into their scalps daily. After seven months, 19 regrew as much as half of their hair, while a few regrew almost all of their hair back. The study was reported in the November/December 1999 issue of Health magazine. The researchers speculated that this remedy may also help other types of balding, including midlife thinning for men.

Oils of arnica, lavender, rosemary or calamus stimulate healthy hair growth. Rub into hair before washing.

Caution: Avoid rosemary oil if you have high blood pressure. Keep lemon and grapefruit doses low if you have sensitive skin, as they may be slightly irritating

Last edited:

Glib Gurl

There's a recipe in this segment with rosemary and jojoba and atlas cedarwood and other essential oils etc.. ill try to find the post.
I know that an old country recipe was rosemary and jamaican black castor oil-and massage daily.
Its one tbsp JBCO and 10 drops of rosemary e.o.

If you are relaxing the relaxer may be staying on too long...
Found it--- had to cut and paste cause i dont knw how to link the posts
Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth

1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil - 3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil - 3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons

Add the first four ingredients into a small glass jar. Mix well. Now add the remaining two ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Massage this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment.

Dermatologists at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary in Scotland gave 43 people, suffering from a rare autoimmune disorder that causes patchy hair loss, the essential oil blend described above and asked them to rub it into their scalps daily. After seven months, 19 regrew as much as half of their hair, while a few regrew almost all of their hair back. The study was reported in the November/December 1999 issue of Health magazine. The researchers speculated that this remedy may also help other types of balding, including midlife thinning for men.

Oils of arnica, lavender, rosemary or calamus stimulate healthy hair growth. Rub into hair before washing.

Caution: Avoid rosemary oil if you have high blood pressure. Keep lemon and grapefruit doses low if you have sensitive skin, as they may be slightly irritating

Thanks for posting this . . . I was good until I got to the bolded part. (I am on meds to keep my blood pressure low because of an injury I have.) Hrm . . . I wonder if taking stuff for alopecia would help me . . . .

JustKiya

I suspect the perm question would be followed up with a suggestion to skip perming the edges/perm them every other time, in order to reduce the stress on that already fragile hair as much as possible...

And I totally believe - assuming there is nothing wrong with the follicle, and the hair is just fragile/breaking, that with babying and treatments, you can restore your hairline - I think it's the easiest spot on our head to mess up, and the hardest to regrow - but it CAN be done.

HoneyDew

My edges had gotten thin a few years ago and I had not even noticed. Continuous braids did it. But mine grew back perfectly. I never did anything special, either. Just TLC and taking care of my hair and scalp.

I think when my hair heath journey began, I did use that ORS liquid stuff on there a few times a week. I only used one bottle of that. It may have helped, but I never repurchased it so I can't say it has too much to do with it.

When I look at my edges now, I still cannot believe I ever had the problem at all. It really did not take that long at all.

*5+5

It's possible, my edges were thin for a very long time & I've been on my hair journey for 4 months and my edges have done a 180. What I did was kinda what everyone does for their ends....I moisturize my edges and then smooth JBCO over them. I use either shea butter or S-curl spray to moisturize. I hope this help b/c I had given up completely on my edges and their back!

Glib Gurl

My edges had gotten thin a few years ago and I had not even noticed. Continuous braids did it. But mine grew back perfectly. I never did anything special, either. Just TLC and taking care of my hair and scalp.

I think when my hair heath journey began, I did use that ORS liquid stuff on there a few times a week. I only used one bottle of that. It may have helped, but I never repurchased it so I can't say it has too much to do with it.

When I look at my edges now, I still cannot believe I ever had the problem at all. It really did not take that long at all.

This is very reassuring to read. Per Candy1214's advice I am going to ease up on my headband wearing and also I'm going to stop parting my hair in the same place . . . just last night I tried rolling my hair in a different way (so as not to pull on the same hair in the same way) and it came out great - so I'm definitely feeling more optimistic!

HoneyDew

This is very reassuring to read. Per Candy1214's advice I am going to ease up on my headband wearing and also I'm going to stop parting my hair in the same place . . . just last night I tried rolling my hair in a different way (so as not to pull on the same hair in the same way) and it came out great - so I'm definitely feeling more optimistic!

I agree with her abut the headband use. I also chose NOT to use gel or "slick" them down or my head back - just left them alone other than to massage the area at night to keep it moist. It became a problem of the past very quickly.

Radianthealth

I grew my edges back

Here is the challenge I started to fix my hairline issues:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89518

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I did it with the stinky challenge. I prepooed with sulfur 8, glover's mane, and frenchee's sur gro. I mixed them all together and left it on my hair for an hour, then rinsed it out. I also used MTG at night as a double whammy. It really helped thicken my hair, too. I can only do this in the summer when I wash my hair a lot. It isn't called the stinky challenge for nothing!:blush::lachen::rolleyes:

MrsBurns82

I've been using emu oil and I must say I've seen a diff in my edges. I don't think they will ever grow back to how I would like them to but I'm comfortable wearing my hair back and I wasn't before.

SmartyPants

Yes it is. I was bald. When I say bald, I mean NO HAIR--not even peach fuzz! One thing I find that has been working very quickly to restore my sides is the ORS hair balm--followed by the MN that I put on the rest of my scalp. When they say it works in 6-8 weeks they are not kidding! Even my mom has been marveling at how much my sides have filled in. As long as your hair folicle is not damaged, this should work to make your sides grow.

BTW... my sides had been bald since I was nine (stress makes my hair fall out and YES I was a stressed out little kid). This is the first time I have been able to both grow and MAINTAIN the growth on my temples.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Either stop relaxing your hair altogether, OR if you want to continue relaxing, relax your edges every 6 months (or longer) and make sure that's the last area you apply your relaxer. Also, avoid hairstyles that put stress on the hair line such as tight braids, weaves, cornrows, ponytails, buns, or whatever. Hope that helps!!! :)

TheNewFine

MN mixture restored mine. (Family dollar MN, Sulphur 8 & peppermint oil)

My DH said "Where did you get all that baby hair from?!" :yep:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Even when I was natural for years, my sides were a bit thin. I wondered if wearing glasses may have been the culprit. That's something that I've been thinking about.

I do have the ORS fertilizing balm. I need to try it again. My mother has been using it. Maybe I'll add some of my emu oil to that.

I've stop relaxing that area; or, I'll relax it every other time, leaving the relaxer on only for a couple of minutes, applying at the very last minute.

araceli2418

:cry2:
It's possible, my edges were thin for a very long time & I've been on my hair journey for 4 months and my edges have done a 180. What I did was kinda what everyone does for their ends....I moisturize my edges and then smooth JBCO over them. I use either shea butter or S-curl spray to moisturize. I hope this help b/c I had given up completely on my edges and their back!

How long was a "very long time"? Mine edges have also been thin for a very long time. My edges on the right resulted from a bad lye perm. My edges on the left I'm guessing is from tight braids. The whole top of my head is thinned out from years of braids. It's really depressing because I used to have a thick head of hair. Anyone who ever dealt with my hair always remarked how thick it was. I wish I could get that back. :crying3:

stixx

Re: your new thread glibgurl, I think if you're getting bumps from cornrows your edges will keep thinning. I made the mistake of ignoring that for years and now mine are almost completely gone. And that was when I was natural! The only thing that's kind of saved my hair has been texlaxing (avoiding the edges) so I don't have to wear braids/weaves.