Is it possible to put your hair in a bun if you have short hair?

maddywoo13

OR should I just stick to ponies? I would really love to wear it in a bun but I believe it is too short so I just moisturize, put it in a pony tail and call it a day. Do any of you ladies with shorter hair put it in a bun, if so how?

Thank you in advance

RegaLady

OR should I just stick to ponies? I would really love to wear it in a bun but I believe it is too short so I just moisturize, put it in a pony tail and call it a day. Do any of you ladies with shorter hair put it in a bun, if so how?

Thank you in advance
No, I don't put my hair in a bun. Sooo, I am using other protective styles(braids,weaves) until my hair is long enough to put in a bun. It looks really crappy when you put short hair in a bun.:nono: Maybe other ladies here, know how to do it!:ohwell:

Filmatic

I'm not sure how short you are referring to. You can try a flip under bun and see how you like it. Just make a pony tail and pin hair end up under the ponytail. I like big hair so I always use weave.

JustKiya

I think it's possible.

I rarely think it's attractive. :look:

My hair is long enough (barely) for an itsy-bitsy bun, and no. It just makes my head look huge - and I think it makes even average head sized girls look mildly melonheaded. :lachen:

But that's just me. :look:

SimpleKomplexity

They are ugly to me, or look old. I will put my hair in a ponytail in the middle of my hair and have the ends curled under kinda like a donut....I don't even do that often. I think it looks better once you are APL

apemay1969

I did a cute one once. I haven't been able to repeat it.

I did kind of a loose left sided cornrow starting a little to the right of the middle of my head.

When I got to the back, still on the left side, I mini clipped it into a loose bun. The clips were silver with small shiny butterflies. I used my denman to brush the right side so that it would lay down.

I got a lot of compliments on that style. I haven't been able to duplicate it.

I wish that I had pictures, dang it.

vestaluv1

To answer your question... yes, depending on how short your hair is :look:. I guess you may be just about able to put your hair in a ponytail with neck length hair and a bun with shoulder length hair.
My hair is on the shorter side and to be honest I hate putting my hair in a ponytail and the buns look like cr8p as my hair isn't long enough and full enough... they just look pathetic... I'd have to use 'extra hair' to get a decent looking bun :sad: .

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
It depends on how long your ponytail is. This might help:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4306_hair-styles-twist-bun.htm

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4302_hair-styles-french-twist.htm You can do this with almost any length hair and you can get the sponge rolls at sallys that you can wrap your hair around if it doesnt have enough length. If you have problems with this you can also take a comb...one of the styling/decorative ones and place it in the hair, and when you roll it up...roll it up along the comb and tuck it/pin it under...it will help hold it. Its hard to describe but I will see if I can find an example of it. ETA: I couldnt find what I was looking for. Basically you need a sidecomb like this:http://www.goodhairdays.com/plain-sidecomb-files/small_42020.JPG and as the first step instead of twisting the hair up on it self, you comb your hair to the side, anchor it with a side comb, and use the side comb as a guide to twist the hair up on and pin it around/under.

More Vids in the series:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/351_hair-styles-braids.htm

Another resource:
http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2007/07/24/bun-it-up-on-bad-hair-days/

Last edited:

lala3

you could try to do a bun with a sock bun or a scrunchie and put a ponytail holder around it..My hair isn't SL yet and I'm always using 2 scrunchies and secure it with a ponytail holder..

DMJ's Mom

If you look in my "one year natural" album there is a picture of my hair in a bun and a picture of the length that i took last weekend. I wear a bun probably 5 days a week

Ramya

I can put it in a bun (barely) but it looks crappy to me. So now I stick with banana clips when I want to put my hair up. It looks much fuller that way :yep:

PEACHEY

Yes you can.

i had short hair that i felt was too short to get in a bun. but i was adoring them soooo much when they first came back out years ago. i played with it and found a way: the sock method (someone else mentioned this too)

the key for me was to roll the sock up thin and put the bun higher up in the back of my head so that i could have enough hair to wrap over the sock. to make them look a little more attractive, i used the hair docorating pins and such. i loved using the chinese sticks, especially the ones witht he rhinstones. instead of putting them in where they stuck out from top to bottom, i put them in so they stuck out form side to side.