Do You Use Gel??

Selene

Do you use Gel to slick down you hair when you put your phony pony tail/bun in your hair? If so, isn't that damaging? If not, how do you achieve the slick look needed to match your hair to the pony tail.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
IMO, it's only damaging if the gel makes your hair stick together and makes it feel stiff and hard. Stay away from what Crysdon calls "that doo-doo brown gel".
I think they put rubber cement in that stuff...

I like Smooth n Shine Gellation and ORS Lock & Twist Gel.

Karonica

I'm a gel junkie.
And it isn't damaging to my hair at all...including the brown gel. I actually like that best for some jobs, but it's all depending on what I'm trying to achieve. I only use it when I need it. Not for fun. I use brown gel mainly holding curls in a wetset (regular setting lotion doesn't hold my hair for long) or for heavy slicking jobs that I want to last for a week at least.

Don't use brown gel for plain, regular slicking. That's for heavier jobs. Try something light like Smooth-n-Shine Gellation as Sassy mentioned. It may make the hair just a little hard though. The same for Fantasia's gel, although Smooth-n-Shine is better for ponytail slicking and it gives some shine (unlike Fantasia), in my opinion.

Babygurl

I used to use nothing but gel, but when I started taking care of my hair I realized I could smooth it down with only mango butter and water. Put a scarf on and it does wonders for smoothing. If I want extra shine, I use EVOO.

adrienne0914

i use gels that don't contain alcohols. and i also mix it with curl activator so that i still get alot of moisture while slicking down.

sithembile

I use aloe vera gel, it's doesn't have any harsh ingredients, its moisturising and its keeps my hair slick but not stiff.

jaibee

so you use gel for your rollersets? does it make your hair come out really hard?
[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I'm a gel junkie.
And it isn't damaging to my hair at all...including the brown gel. I actually like that best for some jobs, but it's all depending on what I'm trying to achieve. I only use it when I need it. Not for fun. I use brown gel mainly holding curls in a wetset (regular setting lotion doesn't hold my hair for long) or for heavy slicking jobs that I want to last for a week at least.

Don't use brown gel for plain, regular slicking. That's for heavier jobs. Try something light like Smooth-n-Shine Gellation as Sassy mentioned. It may make the hair just a little hard though. The same for Fantasia's gel, although Smooth-n-Shine is better for ponytail slicking and it gives some shine (unlike Fantasia), in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karonica

Not frozen, but hard enough I don't have to worry about the curls disappearing the next day. My only complaint is that the curls can come out looking a little dull, so I have to add some grease or oil to them once out of the rollers. That makes no difference to me because I would do that anyway.

LABETT

I dont use gel to slick my hair when wearing a phonytail
I use puritan's pride AVIDO.
AVIDO hold my hair place and not sticky like gel and combs
right out when you are ready to wash your hair without hair
breaking off it also thickens your hair.

inthepink

I use a small amount of gel twice a week to smooth my hair but I don't think it's harmful b/c it doesn't contain alcohol and I don't use so much that my hair is crunchy.

Isis

Hmmm... I have some Nexxus Styling Gel that I used only a couple of times, mainly because I don't know how to use it. Do you put it on after your leave-in and oils and can you use it again every day until wash time?

Leshia

i think i'd actually start to convulse if I didn't use just a dab of gel somewhere! i too enjoy poop-colored gel. it's my favorite--the alcohol free, protein poop gel. Yummy.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
i too enjoy poop-colored gel

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, a stylist used Ampro gel on my hair when I got pineapple waves. This was the early 90's, okay!
My hair was glued to my head, but I was looking good for my trip out of town. After a day or two my scalp was on fire. And when I finally shampooed, I lost handfuls of hair. I've been afraid of dark colored gel ever since.

Edited to add:
My hair isn't very thick. Maybe that's why it was glued down so fast and so hard...

MWilson569

I am a lover of the brown protein gel by eco styler also....I use it everyday...and it seems to make my hair stronger...I dont know if it is because of the protein....but only about 10 strands of hair come out when I wash it out everyday..maybe my hair just agree's with it.-Melissa

Allandra

I don't use gel now, but I plan on buying and trying (yes, after the hair care product challenge
) Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel.

S

Stylepink

I personally despise gel. That stuff is nasty! It took me months to find a stylist that does not have that stuff in her shop. Especially that doo-doo brown nasty smellin' madness. yuck!