Is It Possible For...

SmilingElephant

Texlaxers/relaxers to go sulfates AND cone free??

I'm thinking about switching. I know there will be an adjustment period of about a month or so....but im thinking like...its already chemically treated so wouldnt it be healthier to shampoo and conditon without the sulfates and cones??

But my hair does like cones. Its the sulfates that i notice dry my hair out....im thinking about trying the Tresemme Naturals low-sulfate shampoo...i want a safe shampoo that cleans REALLY well and not leave any buildup.

I've tried Hair One...but thats more like a co-wash for me...it doesn't get my scalp very very clean.

Solitude

It depends on how you style your hair. I tried a couple of rollersets without a serum (cones) and it just wasn't as smooth or humidity-resistant. I've loved serums since before LHCF. Sulfates definitely aren't necessary, especially since more sulfate-free shampoos seem to come out every day. (I love the new sulfate-free KeraCare.)

But, it's definitely doable for a relaxed or texlaxed head to do without both.

SmilingElephant

Hmmm...then it might work for me because i don't do rollersets. I keep sayin i'ma give it one mo try....but :nono: i just know that will be unsuccessful:grin:

Nonie

I personally would not give up cones if I were relaxed, and especially if I had no problems with them. Cones coat your hair and keep your cuticle protected and if I thought my hair were compromised due to chemicals, I'd wanted to keep each strand as protected as possible.

30something

Have you considered mostly or all natural shampoo some i find them less drying (all tho they still strip like a shampoo).. Like Giovanna smooth as silk Shampoo. I was skeptical that an all natural shampoo would clean WELL, .. it does a great job.. but I still need to clarify because I use a lot of cones.. and I don't think its THAT strong now.

I don't know if you like ordering online (I sure don't) but you can get like a gallon for $30
http://www.massagewarehouse.com/Product/giovanni/giovanni-smooth-as-silk-shampoo/184+0011

Tafa01

I use sls free shampoos but I can't leave without cones. My hair is much happier with them, combing is a breeze, retains moisture better and doesn't break as much. Plus I use heat so I HAVE to use cones as protectant.

Reecie

It depends on how you style your hair. I tried a couple of rollersets without a serum (cones) and it just wasn't as smooth or humidity-resistant. I've loved serums since before LHCF. Sulfates definitely aren't necessary, especially since more sulfate-free shampoos seem to come out every day. (I love the new sulfate-free KeraCare.)

But, it's definitely doable for a relaxed or texlaxed head to do without both.

ITA.... with everything stated. I love the sulfate-free Keracare shampoo, but I can't live without cones for my styles. I like sleek look. :yep:

me-T

my hair can stand cones n stuff, but all natural products seem to have more oomph.
sometimes i use both

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
my hair can stand cones n stuff, but all natural products seem to have more oomph.
sometimes i use both

What she said. I, too, enjoy & use Both.

But, You should be able to find some 'good' all natural shampoos. (Check out J/A/S/O/N or Alba Botanica, Beauty without Cruelty, Dr. Bronners). I also like Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Shampoo.:yep:

MissMusic

sometimes i use both

I use sulfate and cone free shampoos, deep conditioners, and co-wash conditioners (Nature's Gate Organics Shampoo's, Nature's Gate Organics and Classics conditioners, and Aubrey Organics Conditioners). My moisturizers are also cone free. However, my serums and my rollersets are the happiest and the best when heat styling. I probably could use oils in their place, but I have not tried this yet.

However, it is very possible to use a mostly cone and sulfate free regimen. Since I have committed to not using heat, direct or indirect this year (except when deep conditioning), I have not and am not using any cones or sulfates in my regimen since the beginning of this year. My buns, braid-outs and twist-outs still come out well. Truly, cones and sulfates are not necessary for your hair health even when relaxed.

ETA: Check out rollersetting threads, I am pretty sure that there are ladies who have great rollersetts using leave-in's and oils.

Last edited:

camilla

I thought you needed sufate shampoo to remove cones or they will build up on your hair??????????

The main reason for me to use a sulfate free poo is to combat dryness hands down the best sufate free moisturizing poo is elasta qp cream conditioning poo then giovanni smooth as silk poo AND conditioner
I use a sufate poo twice a month to remove cones/build up BUT I ALWAYS pre poo first with oil
i only use cones rollerstraight styles if i braid/twist out or bun i use oil instead

camilla

I use sulfate and cone free shampoos, deep conditioners, and co-wash conditioners (Nature's Gate Organics Shampoo's, Nature's Gate Organics and Classics conditioners, and Aubrey Organics Conditioners). My moisturizers are also cone free. However, my serums and my rollersets are the happiest and the best when heat styling. I probably could use oils in their place, but I have not tried this yet.

However, it is very possible to use a mostly cone and sulfate free regimen. Since I have committed to not using heat, direct or indirect this year (except when deep conditioning), I have not and am not using any cones or sulfates in my regimen since the beginning of this year. My buns, braid-outs and twist-outs still come out well. Truly, cones and sulfates are not necessary for your hair health even when relaxed.

ETA: Check out rollersetting threads, I am pretty sure that there are ladies who have great rollersetts using leave-in's and oils.

make sure you know the temp that the oils burn at for your heat settings:yep: you can google or check wiki

camilla

Hmmm...then it might work for me because i don't do rollersets. I keep sayin i'ma give it one mo try....but :nono: i just know that will be unsuccessful:grin:
how do you style your hair? coconut oil is great every other day (lightly) to seal in moisture if you use a water based moisturizer gives great shine

Kellum

I use sulfates sparingly. I only use them when I need to chelate, before an Emergence, or henna, and after a touch up when I need to neturalize. I only use sulfates probably once a month to every 6 weeks.

As try to use those sparingly as well. I try not to buy products that cones at the top of the list. I don't like cones in my leave ins/moisturizers because I have found my hair will start to feel dry very fast. Then I will have to use shampoo more often and I rather not do that.

I like some cones when dcing. I use about 5 conditioners when I dc. I believe one has cones toward the very top, another has cones in the middle, and the others are cone free. I use these about once a week when dcing.

I do like using a little serum before a flat iron, and when roller setting. Other than that I don't use cones daily, or sulfates regularly.

MonPetite

It depends on your regimen. If you are heat-free definitely.

If you use direct heat, silicone is your best bet in protection. Oils can easily fry hair and do not offer the same protection as silicone.

With indirect heat, it's a matter of how much you style and how/if you straighten. Silicones reduce the friction that is often caused by rollersetting, braid outs, etc. In those cases though, the right oil can do the job though not as well in my experience, with my head of hair.

SmilingElephant

how do you style your hair? coconut oil is great every other day (lightly) to seal in moisture if you use a water based moisturizer gives great shine

Well i usually wear my hair in a bun or a braidout or sometimes a ponytail. I use heat more during the cold seasons as there's lees humidity in the air and i can wear my hair down more.

But i'm not really thinkin about going cone-free so much as going sulfate free.

And I LOVE coconut oil!! In fact I love Vatika Coconut Oil....its the B:lick:MB!!!

But my hair is usually pinned up some kind of way.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Yes. I am relaxed and follow that method. I use Jasmine's Bath & Beauty Hair Bath. End result is clean, detangled hair.