I just tossed a couple hundred dollars worth of hair products.

yuhlovevybz

I had to part with my VS so sexy serum. I cried real tears. Real. Tears.

Why?

I'm going to try the curly girl method as my very last resolve to stay natural. If it doesn't work, screw it, I'm either perming, texturing, or heat taming for good.

So I dumped all my sulfates accept for one (to clarify with once I take out my sew-in), all my products containing dimethicone (I did keep products with water-soluble cones). One of these products was a $30 bottle of conditioner I didn't even use! This better work.

I have to try because I like my texture but the frizz is ridiculous. I finally figured the frizz might be a reaction to sulfates that I never seemed to have given up on. My hair lays down after using a sulfate shampoo, then frizzes back up after I condition. So I'll try 6-8 months of CG and see what happens with my frizz. I'm just kind of sad that so many products went down the drain. VS so sexy is my fav line and all I can keep of that is the conditioner. :look: Well I'll keep the shampoo too in case this doesn't work out. But that's basically my new challenge.... 6-8 months... no heat (I feel the need to use cones when I use heat), no sulfates, no cones that aren't water soluble *side-eyes huge bottle of conditioner with disdain), and no waxes. *dumps carol's daughter*

This betta work.

And yes I did HAVE to throw them away. I get bored and pull out products I haven't used in awhile like 'teeeheeee this won't hurt!' uhm yes it will.

I'm contemplating tossing my thicker growth oils as well since its getting warmer.

I'll post a starting pick once I remove my sew in and clarify on Friday. If there's a challenge for this feel free to direct me to it. :grin:

Update: here is my starting pick. I took out my sew in and the portion that was braided is visibly shorter. It was a lot for just two weeks. Glad I aborted that mission. So for the next 6 months here is my regi:

No cones, no sulfates, no heat, no heavy gel.

Cowash daily.

Very limited brushing (edges only).

Henna as needed instead of 'biweekly'. That's all for now. Ill updates on the 15th of every month with nothing but a picture and any regi update. Wish me luck!

image-277004610.jpg

image-807747799.jpg

Dry plopped hair

image-4087319691.jpg

image-764273840.jpg

Last edited:
AH! Me too! I threw all my non-CG stuff in a bag and hid it in my closet. I am tryin to give them away instead of throwing them away but I feel you.

Thankfully the CG compliant stuff I bought wasnt horribly expensive. But you spend a ton of money to get to this point anyway. I dont think there is a CG challenge but if there is I am right there with you!

yuhlovevybz

For your sake, I hope there won't be an angry mob of PJs in here :lol:

When I tried the CG method I did the same thing but I gave away my products. There were so many I did a local pick up for it... for FREE. If you still have your products I think you should do the same. It'll be like Christmas for someone else. That way you're not truly throwing away your money... You just paid for someone else :grin:

I just stuck all my stuff in a copy paper box and put the lid on top. So far I haven't had the urge to go into the box for myself once. I do still use the products on DD though. Our hair is totally different so the products still work for her. I would've cried if I had to throw stuff away too.

It helps not to heat style with CG. Since I started on 2/9 i haven't heat styled once. That's prob why not using the other stuff doesn't bother me.

I hope you can salvage the stuff. Give it to someone or *try* to put it away and not use it. I did a one month trial first...that way I wouldn't have felt bad if I didn't like it.

I'm doing Curly Girl Method now but I tried non-CG haircare in vain for like 2 months so I have Fekkai, Kerastase, Morrocan Oil etc gathering dust in a storage box. It plays on my mind late at night because I could have gotten 10 tubs of coconut oil AND some celebratory chocolate for the price of one teeny Kerastase serum, ughhhh!!!!

yuhlovevybz

For your sake, I hope there won't be an angry mob of PJs in here :lol:

When I tried the CG method I did the same thing but I gave away my products. There were so many I did a local pick up for it... for FREE. If you still have your products I think you should do the same. It'll be like Christmas for someone else. That way you're not truly throwing away your money... You just paid for someone else :grin:

Good idea! I'll rummage through and see if there's anything somebody else might want. Most of it is actually drugstore products but that ish adds up. :lol: I already used up all the good stuff. :look::grin:

@hnntr I think I might do what you did instead, hide everything in a bag in my closet. I know my mom is gonna want some of my stuff eventually so that'll all be there for her.

I just stuck all my stuff in a copy paper box and put the lid on top. So far I haven't had the urge to go into the box for myself once. I do still use the products on DD though. Our hair is totally different so the products still work for her. I would've cried if I had to throw stuff away too.

It helps not to heat style with CG. Since I started on 2/9 i haven't heat styled once. That's prob why not using the other stuff doesn't bother me.

I hope you can salvage the stuff. Give it to someone or *try* to put it away and not use it. I did a one month trial first...that way I wouldn't have felt bad if I didn't like it.

:blush: LivingDoll your hair is absolutely beauuuuuuutifullllll. Regi? :grin:

Good luck OP I hope the CG method works for you!!!

p.s. Henna helped tamed my frizz....have u tried that?

Good luck OP I hope the CG method works for you!!!

p.s. Henna helped tamed my frizz....have u tried that?

bunnie82 yes!! I love henna but for all the time it takes the results don't seem to last very long. :sad: Plus it adds a little too much weight to my ends and they start to hang pretty straight.

yuhlovevybz said:
:blush: LivingDoll your hair is absolutely beauuuuuuutifullllll. Regi? :grin:

:blush: yuhlovevybz...awwww...thanks! I had to do a double take to be sure you were talking to me! Lmbo!

Believe it or not, i'm still trying to figure it out. So...since 2/9 when I started CG:
DC on dry dirty hair under a heat cap for 30 mins prior to every wash/cowash...I DC with one of the SheaMoisture masks (I use all three of them, alternating)
Lo-poo once every 2 wks with a SheaMoisture poo (I only lather once)
Cowash once a week with As I Am Coconut Cowash (if I poo, I still cowash my scalp afterward)
Condish after cowash with Tresemme Naturals

I usually wear twist outs daily. I twist with Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or Kinky Kurly Knot Today & seal with Hairveda Almond Glaze. I try to only retwist every other day. I pineapple on the days I don't retwist. I'm still looking for a good protective style. I'm planning to get a weave soon.

ETA: I dry my hair with a tshirt not a towel.

I've been trying different things/products but the above listed is the basic regimen that I've been following so far.

ETA2: Sorry...I keep thinking of stuff. I just wanted to say that since I started CG all my dry scalp issues are gone. Hallelujah!

Last edited:
Updated with pics. I'm gonna sort through products to give away this weekend once I pick up some postage materials.

Lol I feel you. Hopefully it works for you, I know my hair is soo much better on a CG routine. To each their own, but gel is a big part of the full CG method. I'd be careful with too much henna too.

I had a bunch of drugstore products too, Walmart took it back though, it only took my about a week to realize I wasn't touching it again.

Your hair doesn't look frizzy in the pics, what don't you like about it?

Updated with pics. I'm gonna sort through products to give away this weekend once I pick up some postage materials.

Lol I feel you. Hopefully it works for you, I know my hair is soo much better on a CG routine. To each their own, but gel is a big part of the full CG method. I'd be careful with too much henna too.

I had a bunch of drugstore products too, Walmart took it back though, it only took my about a week to realize I wasn't touching it again.

Your hair doesn't look frizzy in the pics, what don't you like about it?

I'm just trying to stop with gel temporarily so I can see how my hair progresses on its own and get used to my texture for what it is; I think that's my biggest problem.

It actually isn't too frizzy right now but if you were to see it up close it would be more understandable...my phone camera doesn't do justice to anything. It is really dull and lackluster...the roots are the frizziest part. Exhibit A:

image-3593135011.jpg

My strand are also very light, and it's not from henna either. It's almost like their translucent! So it looks dry even after conditioning. The only shine I can get is from oil and it wears off quickly.

yuhlovevybz...what do you mean that the part that was braided was visibly shorter? Your braided hair broke off while in a weave?

:( yup I had some breakage and also excessive shedding. Still trying to figure out what happened there but I suspect her braiding the base with braiding hair kept too much moisture out of my real hair and dried it on up. Never again. :nono:

Hey,

You have hair very similar to mine. I found limited combing helps a lot. Also the henna may be too much, if you say you have fine strands your hair can't take all of that protein. If I do... I clarify henna, then DC overnight at the minimum.

Also are you against hair gel?

Sent from my grammar bombing iPhone...

Try to donate them next time, especially the used stuff. I found a charity in my hair that provides housing for homeless women and they specifically request products for AA hair on their wishlist. They also take cleaning supplies and kitchen stuff so I had a good time decluttering for them lol.

ETA: Meant to say donate new stuff. I found a charity in my city not my hair :lol:

Last edited:
Hey,

You have hair very similar to mine. I found limited combing helps a lot. Also the henna may be too much, if you say you have fine strands your hair can't take all of that protein. If I do... I clarify henna, then DC overnight at the minimum.

Also are you against hair gel?

Not 'against' it, I just try to stay away. They make my hair attract dirt and they also increase my shrinkage a lot of the time. Some light gels I do like but the thick ones are a no go for me. I love LA looks nutra curl but I can only ever find it on base.

Ill stay away from henna for a bit, I wanted to use it because I want to add some color to my hair with out dying it. My hair looks kinda muddy and I want it to be bolder or brighter. Also I think henna helps with my frizz but other than that I can live without it (its sooo messy!)

Last edited:
Not 'against' it, I just try to stay away. They make my hair attract dirt and they also increase my shrinkage a lot of the time. Some light gels I do like but the thick ones are a no go for me. I love LA looks nutra curl but I can only ever find it on base.

Ill stay away from henna for a bit, I wanted to use it because I want to add some color to my hair with out dying it. My hair looks kinda muddy and I want it to be bolder or brighter. Also I think henna helps with my frizz but other than that I can live without it (its sooo messy!)

Even Eco styler? That's my baby!

I'm in the same boat as you OP. I've been a heat straightened natural my entire life. I just want some versatility. I'm tired of constantly straight hair.

Good luck to you OP! The biweekly henna sounds messy/time consuming & like a bit much. Can you use a henna based dc or conditioner instead?

I decided not to do henna. Ain't nobody got time for that. It hasn't been long but the difference is amazing. Before and after as of today.

image-1363520335.jpg

image-1965367134.jpg

Back