Is it just me or has anyone noticed more breakage with....

ecadnacmc

Braid/twist out vs. WNG? I tried both Braid outs & twist outs & suffered from tangles, SSK's, & breakage. So far with WNG'S I haven't had any problems. Do you guys thinks it depends on hair type or products used or a combination of factors?
Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

bunnie82

i LOVE my twistouts....the ONLY time i experienced excessive tangles and breakage was when i needed a trim.....after i got my hair trimmed i had no issues whatsoever!!!

bunnie82

i never do them on wet hair....i typically towel dry for about an hour and then twist them up....or if i wanna go for a longer look i will blow dry my hair straight and then twist or flat twist....

ecadnacmc

Do you have to redo nightly? I was doing modified pineapple with ok results, but terrible tangles @ wash time.

empressri

could be HIH and if your hair is feeling dry, the ends will be even dryer and WILL tangle and break.

wash and goes, esp if you're doing them every couple of days keeps your moist. if you're doing braids or twists you must be diligent in oiling your ends or using some sort of spritz to keep your hair and ends moisturized.

ecadnacmc

could be HIH and if your hair is feeling dry, the ends will be even dryer and WILL tangle and break.

wash and goes, esp if you're doing them every couple of days keeps your moist. if you're doing braids or twists you must be diligent in oiling your ends or using some sort of spritz to keep your hair and ends moisturized.

Do all of that. Feels like I just get product buildup

bunnie82

the pineapple has never worked for me....i just oil my hair and put big twists in before i go to bed....

ecadnacmc

With big twist it stretches out all of my definition. I do 2 ponytail pineapples & I still will get 2-3 day hair.

pookaloo83

What am I doing wrong then? Could it be product choice or is it hand in hair disease?

Could be HIH disease. I use Qhemets to twist. And I detangle gently with my fingers and I only detangle with a comb on wash day.

pookaloo83

With big twist it stretches out all of my definition. I do 2 ponytail pineapples & I still will get 2-3 day hair.

when I do the pineapple method it stretches out the roots and the twistout looks old to me. And scraggly. :nono: Maybe I'm not doing it right.

bunnie82

i'm confused here....are you trying to get breakage help? or styling help? it;s starting to be a guessing game in here....:ohwell:

bottom line is if you're getting breakage you have to assess it....you either need moisture or protein....

ecadnacmc

Could be HIH disease. I use Qhemets to twist. And I detangle gently with my fingers and I only detangle with a comb on wash day.

Maybe it's the product I'm using for styling. They either feel too heavy our too light. I want to try Qhemets but I've been on a PJ binge.

ecadnacmc

i'm confused here....are you trying to get breakage help? or styling help? it;s starting to be a guessing game in here....:ohwell:

bottom line is if you're getting breakage you have to assess it....you either need moisture or protein....

Trying to get breakage help, but thought perhaps breakage is due to my styling methods.

ecadnacmc

Hair feels fine in other styles, ie bunning, WNG, twists. Just seem to tangle & ssk with braid/twist out.

classychic1908

Wash n go's work better for me, because I use gel to style my hair. The gel helps to elongate and clump the curls on my ends which in essence seals them. This works better for me than say the oil or butter that might be used for twist/ braid outs to stretch hair.

Oils and butters are not effective sealants for me, so using them without a gel on top would lead me to have more ssk and breakage.

ecadnacmc

Wash n go's work better for me, because I use gel to style my hair. The gel helps to elongate and clump the curls on my ends which in essence seals them. This works better for me than say the oil or butter that might be used for twist/ braid outs to stretch hair.

Oils and butters are not effective sealants for me, so using them without a gel on top would lead me to have more ssk and breakage.

Thanks! That makes sense because that's what I do, gel for WNG, butters for braid/twist outs? Can u use gel for braid/twist outs?

classychic1908

Thanks! That makes sense because that's what I do, gel for WNG, butters for braid/twist outs? Can u use gel for braid/twist outs?

Yes you can. I don't typically bother because I'm style lazy and a wash n go is just easier.

Last edited: