is it better to use a flat iron or curling iron

keylargo

I've heard conflicting info. Some say flat irons are less damaging than curling irons. Is this true? I think it may be the same since both involve heat. Is it okay to use heat once after you wash your hair? Right now my hair is relaxed. Thanks ladies.

G

They both are heated styling tools which can potentialy be equally damaging. A flat iron is going to give less curl than a traditional curling iron. The thing w/heat is to remember moderation is the key. No more than 1x per week do you want to use one.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I was wondering the same thing. The good thing about me using a curling iron is I can straighten and curl in the same pass. I've recently noticed that they make flat irons that use steam to supposedly condition hair as it straightens, so I was thinking that this may make it better than a curling iron, like the Caruso curlers.

Julia

I agree and remember to;

1. use a thermal protector
2. not to keep it on the hair for more than 5-8 seconds AT THE MOST! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nomadpixi

Re: is it better to use a flat iron or curling iro

The thing I think they were referring too was "ceramic" flatirons are less damaging. That and the process of both straightening and curling your hair is cut down to one step which naturally reduces the amount of heat on your hair. That's what I got out of it.

ngaa

i agree wit what the other members have sed that a lil heat used in moderation (once a wk) is not bad just as long as u do as julia suggested and deep condition hair before use of heat /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

keylargo

Re: is it better to use a flat iron or curling iro

i don't plan on using both a curling and a flat iron at once. i will use one or the other. when i use a flat iron, i can wear my hair straight with the ends bent a little. if i wear my hair curly, then i would use just the curling iron. i don't plan on wearing my hair curly anytime soon. if so, then i will roller set for that.

for now, i just want to straighten it with a flat iron once a week. i don't have to leave it on too long because the relaxer straightened my hair pretty well. i can definately get it straight in less then 5 seconds like caramela suggested.

my beautician used sensitive by nature relaxer. it's the first time that i've heard of it but it worked pretty well. it's a lye relaxer and she used regular strength.