Curling iron w/teeth

bee

Hi, ladies! I was wondering if anyone uses a curling iron w/teeth? My daughter is transitioning and likes her hair straightened every now and again. I flat iron it at those times but I feel like it could be straighter.
Do any of you have one of these curling irons? How does it work for you as opposed to a regular flat iron.
BTW, my flat iron is ceramic.

Chanteuse

I haven't used one but they look like a recipe for damage. What about rollersetting before you flat-iron?

bee

Chanteuse, you think they would be damaging? Why? My daughter doesn't like the roller set look. I tried that and she said it was too "poofy".
So are you saying that the flat iron is the best method?

Any other opinions?

candibaby

i agree with chanteuse, heat is already bad enough but little teeth on the curling iron too? i wouldn't trust it.

Natural_Girl

Roller setting with large rollers helps a lot then flat ironing it. the roller setting helps to stretch the hair.
someone once posted a thread of combing upward versus downward to help get the salon look - haven't tried it but do remember my old stylist using this method for rollersetting my hair and it used ot come out great!
my flat iron came with the tooth attachment - tried it once and it was breaking my hair - so I'm now into the roller setting and then flat ironing it once

hope this helps!

ThickNBeautiful

[ QUOTE ]
Natural_Girl said:
someone once posted a thread of combing upward versus downward to help get the salon look - haven't tried it but do remember my old stylist using this method for rollersetting my hair and it used ot come out great!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. I'm a beauty school dropout (I only lasted a month). Rollersetting was our first lesson. For the tightest sets, you should comb the hair up/forward/away from the scalp and then roll. This is how to avoid loose rollers and slack at the base of the head. HTH in your future roller sets!