Is ebay a form of gambling?

Koffie

Me and my friend were discussing ebay and he said it was the lowest form of gambling. How do you feel about this?

kbragg

Ebay is an auction not gambling. No money is risked as you only pay if you get the item, versus gambling where you put your money in and see what happens. Gambling is puttng your money in and hoping for a return with no personal effort involved and involves risk in losing what you invested. In ebay you don't lose money if you lose the aution so no, not gambling IMO.

chicitygirl

kbragg said:
Ebay is an auction not gambling. No money is risked as you only pay if you get the item, versus gambling where you put your money in and see what happens. Gambling is puttng your money in and hoping for a return with no personal effort involved and involves risk in losing what you invested. In ebay you don't lose money if you lose the aution so no, not gambling IMO.

I agree. I don't even see how one could make the connection between eBay and gambling. Some people really go off the deep end. eBay is just like bargain hunting when shopping.

StrawberryQueen

No darling. You get what you pay for. Unless someone scams you there's no way to lose money. It's just competing for goods.

star

kbragg said:

I agree with this.

pebbles

kbragg said:

I agree. :)

pebbles said:

Ebay is no different than opening up a store of your own and selling your stock, like the markets and bazaars that are in the bible. Maybe because of the bidding process it seems as 'gambling' or the calculated risk one takes to win an auction suggests it as a form of gambling but the supply and demand dictate the purchase price. Just another day of commerce.

Last edited:

ritzbitz78

I think that people can use ebay to gamble. But ebay is not gambling in and of itself.

Just like people use money to gamble, but money is not gambling..

ebay, like gambling can be become an addiction though

pebbles

BlkManWithSomeSense said:
Ebay is no different than opening up a store of your own and selling your stock, like the markets and bazaars that are in the bible. Maybe because of the bidding process it seems as 'gambling' or the calculated risk one takes to win an auction suggests it as a form of gambling but the supply and demand dictate the purchase price. Just another day of commerce.

In total agreement. :)

Ayeshia

hmmm well if you lose a bid in ebay...you dont loose any money. Im gambling you pose the risk of loosing money.
The only risk with ebay is making sure the items you receive are legit and if so, it's an even trade. Both parties are satified on both sides.
Its auctioning... just online. No different than going to an auction and bidding on a historical piece of art.