Is Black Henna the same as Indigo?

phyl73

I usually use the henna pictured below, but I wanted to try something new so I picked up the black henna. Is this the same as indigo? If not where do I find indigo? I'm not sure why I purchased the last picture. I think it's henna. I'm not sure though.

image-2590468242.jpg

image-2079386022.jpg

image-2227485134.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

It is definitely not the same. I attempted to use both a long time ago. But that was money wasted. I never used the indigo and I stopped using the henna because it was messy and too much to deal with. I do want to give them another try.

No. Not the same. Black henna has a negative connotation as it is known to cause allergic reactions.

Indigo and henna kits are sold at Sage Naturalceuticals. I got one last year. Both must be used in conjunction since the indigo needs somethinks to stick to.

No. Not the same. Black henna has a negative connotation as it is known to cause allergic reactions.

Indigo and henna kits are sold at Sage Naturalceuticals. I got one last year. Both must be used in conjunction since the indigo needs somethinks to stick to.
westNDNbeauty I was afraid the indigo would bleed if I get any moisture on my hair. Do you think that would have happened?

Keen said:
It is definitely not the same. I attempted to use both a long time ago. But that was money wasted. I never used the indigo and I stopped using the henna because it was messy and too much to deal with. I do want to give them another try.

I love henna. It took me a while to get the hang of it and it is messy, but now I know what to expect from it.

westNDNbeauty said:

Ok. So it's a two step treatment. I didn't know that. I would have dumped everything in the same bowl and applied it. Have you ever tried mixing them together or do you just do them seperately?

It really depends on what color you trying to achieve. If you want Dark Brown you can mix your henna ahead of time (for the dye to release) anywhere from 2 hours to overnight it depends on the particular Henna (I use Jamila and I let the dye release overnight) and right before you are ready to apply it mix up the Indigo (let it set for 10-15 minutes) and then mix the two together.

If you want Black color then you have to do the two-step process and first apply the Henna, leaving it on however long (I've seen people do 2 hours and some do overnight) and then after rinsing out the Henna applying the Indigo and leaving it on however long.

Hope this helps.

Nichelle_jb

The true black henna is called Indigo. If you don't see Indigo in the product description you are buying a product mixed with PPD, para-phenylenediaime, which is a dangerous chemicals made from coal tar. Indigo is not pure black it is navy blue in colour which when mixed with henna results in a blue/black colour.

rririla kalustyans is awesome. i could spend all day there. they have huge bottles of argan oil for like $30 I think i'm going to buy some.

@leiah....OHHHH MAAANNN ARE THEY EVER!!!! ....I had gone there a year ago but I went for spices....I had no idea in that lil secret room had such a huge stash of everything I ever wanted FOR MY HAIR...lmao!!!!..I am still amazed at all the things they have crammed in that tiny space!!! I think I have found my new home, lol! maybe I will bump into you one of these days....lol

and hol' up...did u say a big bottle of pure argan oil for 30 bucks???!!!!! you didn't just say that to me...what time do they open? maybe I can go before work!!!!! lol

Ok. So it's a two step treatment. I didn't know that. I would have dumped everything in the same bowl and applied it. Have you ever tried mixing them together or do you just do them seperately?

Never tried. The directions said to do each step separately.

It really depends on what color you trying to achieve. If you want Dark Brown you can mix your henna ahead of time (for the dye to release) anywhere from 2 hours to overnight it depends on the particular Henna (I use Jamila and I let the dye release overnight) and right before you are ready to apply it mix up the Indigo (let it set for 10-15 minutes) and then mix the two together.

If you want Black color then you have to do the two-step process and first apply the Henna, leaving it on however long (I've seen people do 2 hours and some do overnight) and then after rinsing out the Henna applying the Indigo and leaving it on however long.

Hope this helps.

Nichelle_jb

I think I might try the two step treatment. This is going to be a huge change for me. I guess if I don't like it I can always do a regular henna treatment to cover it. Either way, I'll post the results.

I found indigo at my local Indian store. Will give it a try soon. Hopefully next weekend. Thanks for all the advice!

Sitting here with indigo in my hair as we speak, I will try to post pics of the results....I will say this, the henna had my hair feeling lovely but this indigo is dry as the Sahara desert !!!!!! I am going to cowash, use a leave-in and let it air dry overnight, then I will dc on wednesday once the color settles in!!!!!! here is a pic of my freshly henna'd hair

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

Last edited:
I love henna. It took me a while to get the hang of it and it is messy, but now I know what to expect from it.

I actually find henna to be less messy than conventional hair dyes. I've always had issues with dyes dripping and staining. Henna (if mixed properly) generally doesn't drip. Its like smearing your hair with brownie batter.

@CurlyMoo, I am not sure where you are located but I got this from an Indian market in NYC, not sure if they ship their products but it might be worth a try, the name is Kalustyan's.

Last edited:
greenandchic said:
I actually find henna to be less messy than conventional hair dyes. I've always had issues with dyes dripping and staining. Henna (if mixed properly) generally doesn't drip. Its like smearing your hair with brownie batter.

I agree. Not messy in the sense that it leaks, but that it's grainy and takes a lot to ensure all of it is properly rinsed out. When I henna, I stay in the shower a full 20 minutes rinsing. I have started rinsing in the tub first because the water pressure is better but it's difficult for me to get the back and left side of my head.

Anywho I have only had a rinse applied to my hair before and it was at the salon. The color was very close to Henna. I liked it. As for Henna, I do make it thicker now, but when I used it the first few times, it was so watery. It was everywhere! Sink, walls, floor, baseboards, mirror, my face, my back, and on anyone who happened to be walking by!

I'm so excited to try indigo! So excited!

I am going to rollerset on thurs, they say u gotta let the color settle for 2 days, so im gonna deep condition and style it then! I love how black it is cant wait to see what it looks like straightened. I was pressed for time so i only left the henna in for 2 hours, and the indigo for an hour! I am going to do it in a month and leave both on longer! I want to see if i can get that blue tone! Lol

@CurlyMoo, I am not sure where you are located but I got this from an Indian market in NYC, not sure if they ship their products but it might be worth a try, the name is Kalustyan's.

I found this on amazon, do you think it's the same indigo?

61UHJaGpCBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CurlyMoo, indigo is very hard to purchase online and even in some stores bc they can "look" like the real deal but b full of fake dyes that damage the hair. I would suggest ordering from hennasooq or mendhi.com they have sample sizes! And u can just do the blue/green paper towel test to see what its supposed to look like and then go to a local store.sounds like a lot but u dont wanna put something in ur hair that could potentially damage it

Back