Votes: 23 82.1%
  • Took a couple of times but I see a difference now

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Did not work: My hair color is still the same

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ActionActress

The 1st time I did henna the indigo did not take but I did not do it right.. The last time I did a Henna Gloss followed by Indigo and that worked great but my greys are a little resistant.. They were black but they have a hint of auburn to it.. Now the rest of my hair is black and I can tell my main focus was the greys.. I plan to do a touch-up every 3-4 week so the color does not go away all together.. The Henna gloss you still get a color release and my hair is soft from the gloss.. The Indigo I did just like you did.. I only mix one pack I thought about doing 2 packs next time so I can really load the indigo on. I read you only have to let it sit for 1 or 2 hrs. It doesn't need to sit as long a henna for it to release its color.. My next go around I might just do the Henna/Indigo gloss so I won't have to do the Indigo afterwards.. Just do it all in one step

That is how it came out on me the first time. You see hints of auburn hairs amonst black, darker not quite raven hair. Now my hair is raven. :yep:

ActionActress

I do a one-step process with a mix of henna & indigo and my grays always turn red; the two-step process is just too labour intensive for me. I only mix with water. :ohwell:

I'm going to try LJewel's advice and make sure my hair is free from any oils and residue and see if the indigo takes better.

I believe this is key. Make sure hair is free from anything that would hinder indigo. I did use a small amount of brahmi oil(from hennaing the day before) and the indigo still took. Just be sure you have nothing in the hair that is heavy.

AA

Tiye

It worked fine for me. I use hot, black coffee (old) as the acid for henna to get a darker brown color.

Then stage 2 indigo. I just basically follow the instructions on the packet and I got jet black.

I don't mix ayurvedic treatments with cheapie conditioners, etc. First of cheapie conditioners are too waxy and overall defeat the purpose - like drinking a cleansing herbal tonic and then following it up with pepsi.

Last edited:

YoursTrulyRE

I will take all tips into consideration (using an acid, not co-washing between, etc). Hopefully the next time it will work. If not I'm going to just use a rinse.

Jetblackhair

I have no problems with the Henna/Indigo taking to my hair, however, I only have 1 short strand of gray hair).

I mix my Karishma Henna with warm water, Amla powder (to tone down the red) and a bit of conditioner for consistency.

I do not let the dye release. I mix up the henna right before I wash my hair. After washing I apply the henna and keep it on for 3 to 4 hours.

I rinse the henna out using conditioner and then I just continue to rinse, rinse, rinse.

After rinsing I mix up my Indigo using warm water and a small amount of sea salt (helps to enhance the black color) and apply immediately. I usually leave the Indigo on for 1 to 2 hours. I rinse with conditioner first and then I shampoo my hair. After that I dc with a moisturizing conditioner.

Let me add that the last time I Henna/Indigo'd, I put too much salt in my Indigo and after applying to my hair, I had to rinse it out after 15 to 20 minutes. The salt began to burn my scalp! I was so upset that I had added too much salt and now all the work I had done to color my hair wasn't going to take. Well, to my surprise, the Indigo took to my hair and I still got the results I wanted! The one short gray strand in the front took the color as well.

nae1114

I think you let the henna sit too long. After the dye release it begins to decline. I would try a shorter release time.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

greenandchic

I did a one step process recently with henna and indigo last week. I mixed 50/50 amounts of both together after their individual dye releases and my hair came out a dark brown after leaving it in overnight (it was late and I was too tired to stay up and wash, condition, etc). It was a little too dark for me actually, but I did start to fade after a couple of days and regular shampoo/co-washings. Henna alone usually don't fade as fast. My hair still has the brown in certain parts that my hair is naturally highlighted, but just a little lighter and most of the red from my henna treatments prior is almost cancelled out.

My hair is very porous and I haven't done a protein treatment in a while prior. Not sure if that has much to do with it or not.

The henna only sat for 6 hours and I used warm (not boiling) water*. The indigo only sat for 20 minutes when I saw the tissue I put in the mix turn dark.

*I'm not sure what temp water you used, but some people mistakenly use water that's too hot which kills the henna.

Last edited:

mezzogirl

I have no problems with the Henna/Indigo taking to my hair, however, I only have 1 short strand of gray hair).

I mix my Karishma Henna with warm water, Amla powder (to tone down the red) and a bit of conditioner for consistency.

I do not let the dye release. I mix up the henna right before I wash my hair. After washing I apply the henna and keep it on for 3 to 4 hours.

I rinse the henna out using conditioner and then I just continue to rinse, rinse, rinse.

After rinsing I mix up my Indigo using warm water and a small amount of sea salt (helps to enhance the black color) and apply immediately. I usually leave the Indigo on for 1 to 2 hours. I rinse with conditioner first and then I shampoo my hair. After that I dc with a moisturizing conditioner.

So I can henna and indigo successfully without letting the dye release in the henna? (Highlighted)

Jetblackhair

So I can henna and indigo successfully without letting the dye release in the henna? (Highlighted)

Yes, the heat generated from your body and the saran wrap used to wrap your head will release the dye anyway, especially after 4 hours. I don't want a strong release of dye (red), hence, not letting the henna sit a long time before using, since my ultimate goal is jet black hair.