Is anyone still wearing their hair out? Is it growing?

choconillaprincess

It seems like everyone is doing protective styles which i know promotes growth but is there anyone who still wears their hair out/down & stills sees growth?

Protective styles do not flatter me or my lifestyle I need my hair to be FREE! But i'm afraid i will miss out on the growth benefits... I can do buns but I'm afraid they may lead to breakage in the longrun... what to do?

Leslie_C

To be honest, I never wore protective stlyes this year until recently (I was big on wash n gos most of the year). I only wear them now because Im doing clinicals in the hospital for school and we arent allowed to wear our hair down if it hangs over the collars of our ugly arse nursing student/cafeteria worker (all white) uniforms. My clinicals were only one day a week for the whole year, but during the final semester we have a preceptor thing where its 3 to 4 days a week, hence why Im wearing buns a lot now.

I dont know which part makes me happier about graduating next month....not wearing those ugly uniforms or being able to wear my hair down again lol. Im not really a big fan of protective stlyes because Im a member of the big forehead club :rolleyes:

kiesha8185

It seems like everyone is doing protective styles which i know promotes growth but is there anyone who still wears their hair out/down & stills sees growth?

Protective styles do not flatter me or my lifestyle I need my hair to be FREE! But i'm afraid i will miss out on the growth benefits... I can do buns but I'm afraid they may lead to breakage in the longrun... what to do?

Hey choconillaprincess!! Protective styles don't promote growth, they help retain length by protecting your ends from potential breakage. Your hair will still grow whether or not you wear protective styles, retaining the length is the problem for most. I have been wearing my hair down almost every day for the past few weeks, from wearing twist braid outs. I'm not seeing any extra breakage because my hair is moisturized, and I usually just wear tank tops (not cold where I'm at yet!) When the style gets old, I put it up.

Also it took me a while to get used to protective styles, since I also feel like I have a five-head. Now I just wear an airdried braid out, which is a happy medium for me. Not sure if it's really a protectiv style though, since my ends are still exposed...but oh well. Not using heat, so this is better in the long run.

locabouthair

sylver2 wears her hair out almost everyday and her hair is almost waistlength.

protective styles mgiht be needed for some people but not all. just make sure you moisturize and lay off the heat.

**WonderWoman**

My hair grew a lot this summer without protective styles. I started out with protective styling but it was hard finding a style that wouldnt take away my edges. Right now, i'm almost APL and I wear my hair down 98% of the time, unless i choose to *zing* it.

Hair Peace

I still wear my hair out and it is still growing. I'm just about at APL, but I'm waiting until Dec. to actually claim it. I'm probably going to start protective styling again for the winter though. Michigan winters are no joke! I don't usually baggy my ends, but I've had to start that back up too.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I always wear my hair out and my hair is fine. I'm going to try to work with protective styles to see if it aids in any way for me but they're not really flattering for me.

ladylibra

i ALWAYS wear my hair out. but then again, the coily-ness is protective in itself. i had no problem going from SL to APL because my ends were all the way up by my ears! :lachen: i co-wash frequently so it's well-moisturized, and never do anything to it. 3 weeks ago i flat-ironed my hair to get it braided, and the girl who was going to braid it kept putting me off so i had to re-wash after a week and a half. (scalp was just getting too gross.) no damage, coils sprung right back. i re-straightened and my hair still looks great. :grin:

i am going to do protective styles this winter (starting Thursday) but that's because last winter sucked trying to co-wash only twice a week and leaving the house with wet hair. :nono: yeah i bought a diffuser but still. i'm doing it out of convenience - this way i don't have to re-wash and style my hair every day, just add moisturizer... and only wash/condition once a week. as soon as the weather warms up again, i'll return to the old co-washing/wearing hair out routine. :yep:

neonbright

I am at the top of BSL and I wear my hair out 98% of the time, I put it up in a loose pony tail when I am tired of my hair down or it is time to wash. I love wearing my hair down, I use to wear my hair up and lots of style not knowing I was wearing protective styles but it was good at the time when you are the person who is doing your hair knows what they are doing and not breaking it off.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
sylver2 wears her hair out almost everyday and her hair is almost waistlength.

protective styles mgiht be needed for some people but not all. just make sure you moisturize and lay off the heat.

You took the words right out of my mouth about Sylver2, and her hair is beautiful! I was going to use her method, but I'm in Philly- it's cold, so I'm wearing sweaters, coats and non-silk scarves. I didn't want to damage my ends. As soon as the good weather is back, I'm using her method.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
If a wash n' go is wearing your hair out then I do that everyday....my hair is growing fine. :yep: My length is between SL and APL but shrinks up to the top of my neck. :ohwell:

shortt29

I was wearing buns alot at the end of my 13 week stretch. I think I lost alot of hair around my hairline from this. I'm still going to bun, but I think I will look for different protective styles so that I'm not being counterproductive :ohwell:

RZILYNT

I wear my hair down every day as well. I started back in May. I have no issues with breakage on splits. I don't use heat at all. I air dry and use mega oil on my hair, especially the ends when I tie it up at night.

RZ~

sweetcashew

I wear my hair out every day. The only time you'd catch me in a bun is if it's a snow storm or it's raining heavily and my hair got soaked.

Bubblingbrownshuga

:wave: I knew your screenname looked familiar!

TLC1020

I get bored with my bun so I alternate between bun, braidout and half ponytail with back curled from the twisted bun.. all are cute little styles w/o constant manipulation. I don't wear my hair down everyday b/c the fall weather here is getting a little colder now...