Does Anyone Still Henna Their Hair?

Blue_Berry

Does anyone still henna their hair?

If you do, what benefits are you receiving (stength, shine, growth, less breakage, etc)?

What brand of henna do you use?

Misseyl

I henna because I have some grey hairs to cover. My last henna treatment was on September 3rd. My texture did not change but it left my hair feeling squeaky clean, like every bit of oil had been stripped from it; so I did a really good deep conditioning under my steamer.

Furthermore, I have an observation. I normally leave the henna on for hours, and during my relaxed days, whenever I use henna, every time I urinate, the color of my urine would be black. I wasn't concerned because I thought that was normal, but my recent henna treatment did not turn my urine black. I believe because my scalp was so damaged by relaxers, the henna was able to seep into my pores/hence my body and turn my urine black. My henna treatment in March 2016 turned my urine black. But my henna in September didn't. So it took almost 3 years for my scalp to completely heal. All I can say is one more reason not to go back to relaxers.:afro:

Last edited:

GGsKin

I use body art quality henna (for colour and strengthening. I love the tint I get from using rajasthani henna and hibiscus in my mix.

I use Henna every 6 weeks or so and Brahmi/Shikakai/Amla more often, like every 3 weeks. I mix those three with a deep conditioner and let it sit for hours and rinse out.

My hair has been super resilient since I started on this ayurveda regime. The color deposit has become a bonus

naturalfinally

I use Reshma and Jamila BAQ henna. I usually do a full henna once a month for strength and to cover a few temple grays. I also have dark urine the next day but I am fighting some serious scalp issues so I guess that's to be expected. I also have very fine hair strands and henna helps to strengthen them and keep them from breaking. I do have to deep condition often because of low porosity which is exacerbated by the henna but it's worth it.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I do a henna treatment every other month. In fact, I did a treatment yesterday. It reinforces my fine to medium strands. In addition, it covers these disrespectful grays that keep popping up.

I use Jamilah or Nupur mixed with hisbiscus powder, coconut milk and a splash of GSO, :lick:

imaginary

I do but not on a real schedule. I usually use whatever I pick up from the Indian store but those make my scalp itch so I'm planning to switch over to Jamilah to see if that works. I also occasionally do a hendigo treatment with a mixed blend from mountainroseherbs. I may end up doing them more frequently now

BlackMasterPiece

Yep, I do, I do it sporadically whenever I feel my hair could use some strengthening/reinforcement. The benefits for me have been tremendous strengthening, stops breakage in its tracks, adds a pretty copper tint to hair. I use Nupur + coconut milk.

Still using Body Art Quality Henna. Overall natural benefits and natural color deposits without using harmful dyes.

I also use Indigo to darken the Henna stain.
How much indigo would add to achieve a deep brownish auburn shade? I've been wanting to achieve this color in my moms hair to get her off of commercial dyes.

BlackMasterPiece

@BlackMasterPiece
More Henna less Indigo = Deep Brown Auburn. More Indigo Less Henna = Black/Blackish.
Thanks! Can you give me ball park measurements on how much Indigo to add if you were mixing the big bag (500grams) of Nupur?

I'm so excited now:grin: the natural orangey copper of henna was way too garish on my moms greys but this would be perfection, what brand of Indigo do you prefer? I hope I can find it at my local indian shop.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm so excited now:grin: the natural orangey copper of henna was way too garish on my moms greys but this would be perfection, what brand of Indigo do you prefer? I hope I can find it at my local indian shop.

@BlackMasterPiece
I only mix enough for one application. Here's what you do: Prepare the Henna as you normally would.

Prepare the Indigo in a separate dish. Indigo must be prepared with warm/hot water and a few dashes of salt to darken the stain. The Indigo must be used within 5-10 minutes after you prepare it.

Gradually fold a little of the Henna into the Indigo mixture. Fold a small amount of Henna in so you have More Indigo/Less Henna for your color.

I order mine from mehandi.com

BlackMasterPiece

@BlackMasterPiece
I only mix enough for one application. Here's what you do: Prepare the Henna as you normally would.

Prepare the Indigo in a separate dish. Indigo must be prepared with warm/hot water and a few dashes of salt to darken the stain. The Indigo must be used within 5-10 minutes after you prepare it.

Gradually fold a little of the Henna into the Indigo mixture. Fold a small amount of Henna in so you have More Indigo/Less Henna for your color.

Thanks for your help!:kiss:

MzSwift

I mix BAQ henna with brahmi and hibiscus with conditioner to use as a leave in. The treatments became too much and it was easier to incorporate the powders this way.

The benefits I get are shiny strengthened strands and bouncier hair. My hair overall feels healthier in the years that I've used the powders regularly.

imaginary

@BlackMasterPiece

Ooh I've never thought to add salt to my indigo mix :scratchchin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Ooh I've never thought to add salt to my indigo mix :scratchchin:
@imaginary
If you look research some of the Older Henna/Indigo Threads a little heapin' of Salt helps to darken the Stain from the Indigo. Works like a charm.

Coconut Milk is one of the best things I've done with Henna. It makes it a nice smooth application & process. I'm happy about this addition to my Henna.

Aggie

@imaginary
If you look research some of the Older Henna/Indigo Threads a little heapin' of Salt helps to darken the Stain from the Indigo. Works like a charm.

Coconut Milk is one of the best things I've done with Henna. It makes it a nice smooth application & process. I'm happy about this addition to my Henna.
@IDareT'sHair

How do you use the coconut milk? Do you mix it with water or just the coconut milk alone? Do you heat up the coconut milk? What is the process you use to mix in the coconut milk from start to finish - details would help.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Aggie

I just pour the Coconut Milk into the Henna. I was using Tea and before that I was using ACV.

Coconut Milk makes the best and smoothest Henna Rx. No problem with the dye releasing either.

I do still add a squirt of oil into my Henna right before applying.

I wish I would have used Coconut Milk years ago. Glad I took the plunge and tried it finally.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I use Henna every 6 weeks or so and Brahmi/Shikakai/Amla more often, like every 3 weeks. I mix those three with a deep conditioner and let it sit for hours and rinse out.

My hair has been super resilient since I started on this ayurveda regime. The color deposit has become a bonus

How much amla, brahmi and shikakai are you adding to your condish?

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I henna with Hesh brand...turns my grays copper red and I don't mind lol. One day I'm going to try indigo. I don't really henna for color though.

Aggie

@Aggie

I just pour the Coconut Milk into the Henna. I was using Tea and before that I was using ACV.

Coconut Milk makes the best and smoothest Henna Rx. No problem with the dye releasing either.

I do still add a squirt of oil into my Henna right before applying.

I wish I would have used Coconut Milk years ago. Glad I took the plunge and tried it finally.

@IDareT'sHair

So do you pour cold coconut milk into the henna powder or is it hot coconut milk? Is that the henna powder alone you 're adding the coconut milk to or it is the henna that's already mixed with hot water and the dye already released?

Henna mixtures can be very finicky and I just want to do it right. Getting even one step wrong can screw up the whole mixture. I have a methodical type brain, so hence the reason for the order of your process. Thanks in advance.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Aggie
Canned Coconut Milk Room at Temperature. Pour just enough to get a nice smooth yogurt consistency.

The Henna is alone in your bowl and in it's Powdered form. Nothing else.

I agree. One wrong move will ruin the whole mixture. Extremely simple and works better than anything I've ever mixed it with, including Water, ACV, Tea.

The Coconut Milk gets 5 Stars