Invigorate Your Scalp: Try this scalp scrub....

prettyhair73

If you need to reinvigorate your hair follicles and get rid of any fungus, traces of chemicals, weave glue residue, product buildup etc., this treatment should do the trick. Because a healthy scalp makes for a healthy head of hair.

My new recipe:
Sea salt
1 cup of sea salt
1/2 cup of Grapeseed oil or Apricot Kernel oil
5 drops of tea tree oil
5 drops of rosemary or peppermint essential oil
5 drops of juniper essential oil
5 drops of sage essential oil or lavender oil

Massage your scalp for a few minutes with the scrub.
Shampoo and rinse with cool water.
Apply a moisturizing conditioner.

Your scalp will thank you!

ladysaraii

I tried this today. I halved it and still had some leftover.

It was really hard to get on my scalp, I think it would get caught in my hair and then fall out, there are chucks of the mixture on my island. but it washes out really easily and felt nice

MizzBrown

I've heard some bad things about scalp scrubs.

Make sure you research. Saw some research done/addressed by a blogger where they took a miscroscope the scalp after some scrubs and it wasn't pretty. It can damage your folicle if you are not careful.

Just because it feels good and you cant see visible damage doesnt mean your scalp is okay. Please research and watch the amt of salt you use.

prettyhair73

The scalp scrub isn't going to be for everyone. It's mainly to recondition for people have problem scalp.

Everything has pros and cons, you just have use some methods sparingly.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I don't know that I'd give too much weight to a study referenced in a Journal from 1987. There are too many studies confirming build up hindering, even causing hair loss.

We have no problems with the idea of exfoliating our skin to get rid of dead cells and assisting in the regeneration process. Makes sense that the scalp, also skin, could also benefit by having dirt, sweat, oils and old skin cells exfoliated. The scalp skin renews itself every 28 days, btw.

I've seen some really good exfoliation recipes using brown sugar. I think I'm going to try that. I don't think the brown sugar would be comparable to sandpaper. Sugar dissolves and is actually rolled across the surface where sandpaper is fixed with the intention of tearing. Certainly a gentle scalp massage with this "scrub" would not be done with the intention of tearing. (Well...depends on who's doing the scrubbing, I guess. :grin:)

I just so happened to search this topic because of a video that I watched on youtube last night. And even tho I try to keep my scalp healthy and pores open with scalp massages and scalp-only shampoos, I use additional oils on my scalp almost daily. This thing has me thinking.
So, as with all things that I learn on the Net, I decided not to take one source as gospel and started doing research and, indeed, checking the sources referenced and personally feel that a brown sugar scrub for my scalp may be a good idea...periodically. I mean, check out this video. Especially look starting at 2:12. Yiiiiikes!!! That mug had to have his scalp exfoliated by scaling. :thud: And look at 4:30. (Maybe I'm replying to this for the opportunity to share this video. :lol:)

ACV can be used to thwart build up too. But you have to be careful to greatly dilute the acv. This doctor uses other herbs to clarify (for a lack of better word) the scalp. But again, I don't see the great harm in brown sugar scrubs. We use it on our body and faces. Is the scalp more sensitive? :perplexed

Side note: I was talking to a friend of mine who is a doctor who does regenerative therapies. He mentioned there being some kind of spiked roller ('k. Don't quote me on that but, it's definitely what he described) that is rolled across the scalp (I sort of see it like the thing that aerates a lawn) to allow for better penetration of a solution used in hair restoration and to increase blood circulation. I balked and cringed at the idea and he assured me that it's gently rolled across the scalp. (Google "scalp rollers hair loss" if you think I'm kidding). Based on accupuncture. :thud: No not me, honey. :nono: But it goes to show that something as intrusive to the scalp as that can actually have benefits. The scalp is tougher than I thought.

k. I'm done running my mouth. Thanks for sharing @prettyhair73.

oh, P.S I better not hear anybody say NJoy recommends scalp abrasions. :lol: I would say "gentle pressure exfoliation", like you would a facial scrub. I don't even use my nails on my scalp so, no harsh scrubbing. There! Now I can sleep.

faithVA

We have no problems with the idea of exfoliating our skin to get rid of dead cells and assisting in the regeneration process. Makes sense that the scalp, also skin, could also benefit by having dirt, sweat, oils and old skin cells exfoliated. The scalp skin renews itself every 28 days, btw.

Thanks for that piece of information. I will incorporate that information into my own scalp restoration experiments.

prettyhair73

Wow that video is interesting!! I use a salt scrub from trader joes on my hair and skin. But it's been good so far.

I don't know that I'd give too much weight to a study referenced in a Journal from 1987. There are too many studies confirming build up hindering, even causing hair loss.

I've seen some really good exfoliation recipes using brown sugar. I think I'm going to try that. I don't think the brown sugar would be comparable to sandpaper. Sugar dissolves and is actually rolled across the surface where sandpaper is fixed with the intention of tearing. Certainly a gentle scalp massage with this "scrub" would not be done with the intention of tearing. (Well...depends on who's doing the scrubbing, I guess. :grin:)

I just so happened to search this topic because of a video that I watched on youtube last night. And even tho I try to keep my scalp healthy and pores open with scalp massages and scalp-only shampoos, I use additional oils on my scalp almost daily. This thing has me thinking.
So, as with all things that I learn on the Net, I decided not to take one source as gospel and started doing research and, indeed, checking the sources referenced and personally feel that a brown sugar scrub for my scalp may be a good idea...periodically. I mean, check out this video. Especially look starting at 2:12. Yiiiiikes!!! That mug had to have his scalp exfoliated by scaling. :thud: And look at 4:30. (Maybe I'm replying to this for the opportunity to share this video. :lol:)

ACV can be used to thwart build up too. But you have to be careful to greatly dilute the acv. This doctor uses other herbs to clarify (for a lack of better word) the scalp. But again, I don't see the great harm in brown sugar scrubs. We use it on our body and faces. Is the scalp more sensitive? :perplexed

Side note: I was talking to a friend of mine who is a doctor who does regenerative therapies. He mentioned there being some kind of spiked roller ('k. Don't quote me on that but, it's definitely what he described) that is rolled across the scalp (I sort of see it like the thing that aerates a lawn) to allow for better penetration of a solution used in hair restoration and to increase blood circulation. I balked and cringed at the idea and he assured me that it's gently rolled across the scalp. (Google "scalp rollers hair loss" if you think I'm kidding). Based on accupuncture. :thud: No not me, honey. :nono: But it goes to show that something as intrusive to the scalp as that can actually have benefits. The scalp is tougher than I thought.

k. I'm done running my mouth. Thanks for sharing @prettyhair73.

oh, P.S I better not hear anybody say NJoy recommends scalp abrasions. :lol: I would say "gentle pressure exfoliation", like you would a facial scrub. I don't even use my nails on my scalp so, no harsh scrubbing. There! Now I can sleep.

Sha76

I used to do a scrub on my scalp and my hair grew like wild fire. Now I am wondering why I stopped. Probably because it was a lot of work. But I never scrubbed when my hair was wet.

Avaya

Doing a prepoo scalp scrub with brown sugar, white sugar, jojoba oil, and tee tree oil has helped remove scalp build up I was developing. Shampooing alone just wasn't cutting it for me.

NJoy The roller is called derma roller. I bought one for my face (which I haven't even used yet :rolleyes:), but I have read about it being used on the scalp as well.

Cheleigh

I might want to try this. I don't think shampoo does it for me alone either.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SCH-R910

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Doing a prepoo scalp scrub with brown sugar, white sugar, jojoba oil, and tee tree oil has helped remove scalp build up I was developing. Shampooing alone just wasn't cutting it for me.

@NJoy The roller is called derma roller. I bought one for my face (which I haven't even used yet :rolleyes:), but I have read about it being used on the scalp as well.

Girl! :thud: