interesting hair question

dejaomare

Has anyone over 30 grown their hair from always being short to long after joining LHCF? If so, how long did it take?

HairPhoenix

marie170 said:
Do you think a woman's age has something to do with her hair growth?

I had the same question as marie170 on my mind when I read this. Metabolism and fertility slows in a lot of women in their 30's, but I am pretty sure hair growth is not affected. BTW, did you know that your hair continues to grow for some short period of time after you die? :eek: I know it's morbid, but I remember hearing this fact one day. Your question made it pop into my head. :ohwell:

SherryLove

desperategirlie34 said:
Has anyone over 30 grown their hair from always being short to long after joining LHCF? If so, how long did it take?

i began growing my hair out from a very short hair cut at the age of 33 (in year 2000)......it took approximately 3.5 years to reach the length it is now...

as far as hair growth slowing down with age... i have to agree....my hair still a good growth rate, but it does not grow quite as fast as it used to...

ChasingBliss

Ok, I have been basically shoulder length all my life, maybe a little longer. I was 35 when I came to this board July 2003 (joined a couple of months later) and started trying to grow my hair...I am now close to waist length at the age of 37......So in my opinion, if this is the case, it didnt seem that way to me...all I can say is that, if my hair growth was slow these past couple of years because I am in my 30s, then if I had attempted these hair care stragegies at 17, my hair would have grown and super top speed. In other words at the ripe old age of 37, it feels to me like my hair has been growing fast. Others who are close to me and watched my hair grow have said the same thing. Dont be discouraged...

*Frisky*

Thanks HoneLemonDrop....I am about to be 36 and I just joined a couple of months ago. I wonder if the statement could be true about women over 30 that perhaps don't take good care of their hair. Kinda like how when we are younger we can eat eat and eat and maybe never gain a pound but as we get older, we can't do that.

ChasingBliss

marie170 said:
Thanks HoneLemonDrop....I am about to be 36 and I just joined a couple of months ago. I wonder if the statement could be true about women over 30 that perhaps don't take good care of their hair. Kinda like how when we are younger we can eat eat and eat and maybe never gain a pound but as we get older, we can't do that.

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe if I had the experience of growing my hair when i was younger, i may have been able to see and record the differences...and as far as the weight thing, I too was one of those people who could eat whole refrigerators(sp?) and remain 105 pounds, I managed to pull this off until I hit 30, :lol:...

*Frisky*

U go girl!!! My eating everybody out of house and home days ended in my early 20's..well, I am gonna remain confident that if I take better care of my hair, it will pay off.

dejaomare

Thanks everyone for ur replies. I'm 35 and i started my quest in December 2004.

I used to have long hair when I was young but when my mom put my first perm on when i was 12 that was all she wrote. It never quite look the same or grow back to such lengths.

It did grow a lot with the curl though but I had a scissor happy stylist who always cut all the new growth.

XXXtacy

Thanks HoneyLemonDrop & SherryLove...

for your words of encouragement. I look forward to my longer and stronger hair within these next few years.

HairPhoenix

HoneyLemonDrop said:
I know exactly what you mean. Maybe if I had the experience of growing my hair when i was younger, i may have been able to see and record the differences...and as far as the weight thing, I too was one of those people who could eat whole refrigerators(sp?) and remain 105 pounds, I managed to pull this off until I hit 30, :lol:...

HoneyLemonDrop, you are too smooth just like that pic in your siggy. :cool: And please don't call yourself old at 37... because I am right behind you! :lol:

dlewis

Very interesting, thanks for posting about this. I was wondering about this recently. My hair does not grow as fast as it did when I was younger, but I don't think it's age I believe it my unactive lifestyle. When I was youger I was very active.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Actually when most pple get up there in age, they may have poor blood circulation which can cause their hair growth to slow down or even become thin in some areas. But that's only if they have that problem. Some of us today don't have as much circulation going on up there like others and a few scalp massages tend to help w/more growht per month.
HairPhoenix said:
I had the same question as marie170 on my mind when I read this. Metabolism and fertility slows in a lot of women in their 30's, but I am pretty sure hair growth is not affected. BTW, did you know that your hair continues to grow for some short period of time after you die? :eek: I know it's morbid, but I remember hearing this fact one day. Your question made it pop into my head. :ohwell:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

OT: I hope all the extra was in all the right places, :D , My momma and them told me when early 30's come it would be on and crackin' w/the weight,I hope so, You just gave me a boost, I can't wait until this summer 30 here I come, :grin: .[quote=HoneyLemonDrop]I know exactly what you mean. Maybe if I had the experience of growing my hair when i was younger, i may have been able to see and record the differences...and as far as the weight thing, I too was one of those people who could eat whole refrigerators(sp?) and remain 105 pounds, I managed to pull this off until I hit 30, :lol:...[/quote]

ChasingBliss

BeautifulWideEyes said:
OT: I hope all the extra was in all the right places, :D , My momma and them told me when early 30's come it would be on and crackin' w/the weight,I hope so, You just gave me a boost, I can't wait until this summer 30 here I come, :grin: .[quote=HoneyLemonDrop]I know exactly what you mean. Maybe if I had the experience of growing my hair when i was younger, i may have been able to see and record the differences...and as far as the weight thing, I too was one of those people who could eat whole refrigerators(sp?) and remain 105 pounds, I managed to pull this off until I hit 30, :lol:...
[/quote]

OT:Oh yeah, it was in the right places...I went from no butt to a J-lo (so I've been told).... NOW, I have to fight the stomach off a little but all the other stuff, Im ok with I guess. Im maintaining at 5'7 and 140..My goal weight is actually 130 but....whatever...You just have to be careful, because while you will gain the weight, it goes to the right places at first, then after a while it goes where you dont want it to go...:lol:

ChasingBliss

HairPhoenix said:
HoneyLemonDrop, you are too smooth just like that pic in your siggy. :cool: And please don't call yourself old at 37... because I am right behind you! :lol:

I know I should stop doing that. I will make a effort to stop, because truthfully, it's not old.

ChasingBliss

XXXtacy said:

for your words of encouragement. I look forward to my longer and stronger hair within these next few years.

Youre welcome...I just dont want any of us to feel like it's not worth it just because we are in our 30's...We are still beautiful as hell, long hair and all...go for it girl.

ChasingBliss

marie170 said:
U go girl!!! My eating everybody out of house and home days ended in my early 20's..well, I am gonna remain confident that if I take better care of my hair, it will pay off.

Believe me it will...:)

*Frisky*

hahahaha..HoneyLemonDrop maybe we are faternal twins cause I have been described that way too...no butt to J-LO...I am 5'6 right at 135...for now..this is the smallest I have been in about 5 years..I usually am around 142...And we are not old!!!! Black women carry age well so I am sure you look 20 something.

MiWay

OT:Oh yeah, it was in the right places...I went from no butt to a J-lo (so I've been told).... NOW, I have to fight the stomach off a little but all the other stuff, Im ok with I guess. Im maintaining at 5'7 and 140..My goal weight is actually 130 but....whatever...You just have to be careful, because while you will gain the weight, it goes to the right places at first, then after a while it goes where you dont want it to go...:lol:[/quote]

I'll be 30 in 3 months and I can definitely attest to the weight going in all the right places. I have booty and hips now, which my hubby said I never had before. :lol: But I will be buying a treadmill or elliptical machine for my 30th birthday...gotta try to keep this girlish figure. Just keep those darn girlscouts and their cookies away from me!

SherryLove

XXXtacy said:

you are so welcome, sweetie......with that positive attitude and a good haircare regimen, you are going to be ok.....smile.......

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I'm 35 and I got serious about growing hair in these last few years. I haven't noticed that my hair grows slower now, although I have noticed that it's not as thick as it used to be. I think that might be due to hair colors as well as age. As long as you eat right and take care of yourself you should be fine, hair and all :)

PecanSandie

What a wonderful and encouraging thread!! All of this time I had been lurking, figuring that I was one of the older women on this board. It's nice to know that we are here in all age ranges. I'm 33 and starting a journey of my own. Thanks to all who have posted. Also, if any of you (especially Sherry and HoneyLD) could post or PM me with your successful regimes it would be greatly appreciated. In 3 years I hope to have a gorgeous album and inspirational story to share.:)
PS. The weight thing is no joke, especially when you tack on a couple babies in your late twenties and early thirties. I am currently killing myself w/ Pilates (but I love it) to get into shape!

SherryLove

PecanSandie said:
What a wonderful and encouraging thread!! All of this time I had been lurking, figuring that I was one of the older women on this board. It's nice to know that we are here in all age ranges. I'm 33 and starting a journey of my own. Thanks to all who have posted. Also, if any of you (especially Sherry and HoneyLD) could post or PM me with your successful regimes it would be greatly appreciated. In 3 years I hope to have a gorgeous album and inspirational story to share.:)
PS. The weight thing is no joke, especially when you tack on a couple babies in your late twenties and early thirties. I am currently killing myself w/ Pilates (but I love it) to get into shape!

hey pecan... as long as you continue to hang out with girls at LHCF, you will probably be able to share an inspirational hair story sooner than that.....

i will pm you with my regimen...

Marseeya

:grin: I'm a few weeks away from age 39; This is the longest my hair has EVER been.. and actually when I took my first hair picture (after joining LHCF) in 2003, THAT (Dec.03) was actually thee longest my hair had EVER been..

:D Now grant it, I have slacked quite a bit in the last two years but still ..its growing and I'm still tryin for my Goal length. And.. I'm always being told that I don't look my Age;) I look and feel much younger.

P

patient1

I'm in my 30s as well and I do think that the growth process slows a bit, but if you have a healthy lifestyle it's not terribly pronounced. The whole regenerative process/cell turnover slows in rate. I have noticed that I have to be more conscious of my decisions because my body is not as forgiving. One of the places this is most noticeable is in the skin. It takes longer for wounds to heal as we get older. The skin cells don't turn over as rapidly (thus the million dollar business JUST in exfoliation/peel treatments).

All this said, you can reach all of your hair goals. My mother is 60+ and her hair still grows quite fast. I think women get better after 30 and best at 40 (not just physically). I keep hearing that a woman has an awakening at 40. So all of the wonderful things you're doing for your hair will lead to benefits in all parts of your body.

Someone just asked me if I was 24 or 25 the other day. They were off by 8 years. I'm doing something right!!!

P1

levette

I think the hair growth slows down some but, I am in my 30's and this is the longest my hair has been since I was a teenager in highschool. I plan to keep my length as long as I can. Also, I can relate to those women who used to yearn to gain weight. When I hit 30, I know that I have packed on about 15 lbs which was desperately needed. But now , I have to watch what I eat more carefully. So those young ladies who feel the need to gain weight, just wait, it will come with time.