Individual Kanakelon Braids, Advice Please!

shra1924

Hey Ladies,

THis weekend I'm getting braids done. I want small individual braids. This is the first time Ive done this style and a I need some advice on what kind of hair to get and what should I tell the stylist. I've had enough bad braid experiences to know you have to be REAL specific on what you want. I would like loose curly ends but I'm afraid it'll look a HAM a month later with Kanakelon hair. The stylist says she will provide the hair and curl it with the hot water method. Should I buy my own hair just to make sure I'm getting good quality?? What about the hair thats already curly? Would that be better for the style I want? Any recommeded brands? Also, I'm natural so Im really concerned about frizzies and unraveling. How does the stylist usually secure the ends on these type of braids? Also any pics and tips on home care would be greatly appreciated? Please respond ladies! thanks!

Although I wore braids 24/7, I only ever used human hair so I haven't the foggiest idea about synthetic braids. I believe Robin of Crown & Glory uses synthetic braids and reading her website could arm you with some useful info. www.growafrohairlong.com

Hey Ladies,

THis weekend I'm getting braids done. I want small individual braids. This is the first time Ive done this style and a I need some advice on what kind of hair to get and what should I tell the stylist. I've had enough bad braid experiences to know you have to be REAL specific on what you want. I would like loose curly ends but I'm afraid it'll look a HAM a month later with Kanakelon hair. The stylist says she will provide the hair and curl it with the hot water method. Should I buy my own hair just to make sure I'm getting good quality?? What about the hair thats already curly? Would that be better for the style I want? Any recommeded brands? Also, I'm natural so Im really concerned about frizzies and unraveling. How does the stylist usually secure the ends on these type of braids? Also any pics and tips on home care would be greatly appreciated? Please respond ladies! thanks!

I keep hearing that the brand of Kanakelon hair doesn't matter and to just go with you price point.

I read good things about Outre Batik, people said its close to human...or so they say.

I haven't had braids in a long time so I can't be that much help

just make sure the section is larger than the braid so that it doesnt put too much pressure on your scalp..It does make a difference. Im natural and in braids too Ive been doing it for months. You can check my fotki in my journals for my regimen or check growafrohairlong.com

I am fond of the Rastafri brand (sp?) in the yellow or the red pack. In all my years of wearing braids (and that's a LOT of years), I have never used human hair and have never had a problem. I used the Black and Gold brand up until just this year and that brand was fine too.

Last edited:
I have used all different brands of kanekalon and they were all good. I agree that Outre seemed a little above the rest.

Do a search for the crown and glory method on here ( also abbreviated as CAG or C&G)
The best thing to do is buy your own hair and soak it for 20 mins in some lukearm water with white vinegar. You may not have enough time for that now but you will know for mext time. Its fine to get the ends dipped in water (it looks the most natural) Many women (including me) grew their hair with the CAG method. I used it for 1.5 years

between Robin's site and the thread on here should should find everything you need

hope that helps!!!

I also agree that you should visit crown and glory.com and look over that. thats where I got the wealth of my info from. I've had kanekalon braids for the last 4 months, 2 months @ a time. Mine are almost as small as micros, and I did them myself. My ends were just dipped in boilding water to seal them so they wont unravel, and the hot water straightens them. You can see a pic in my siggy, pm me for more pics. Also, make sure she doesn't put more braiding hair than your actual hair in each plait. And try n get ur edges redone every 3 weeks to prevent breakage. Kanekalon is fine. Thats what I use. If the ends get raggedy, just dip them back in hot water and they look brand new again. Curling the ends is more maintenence, and after awhile, they might not curl as much. Then again, if you get sick of the curled ends, you can just str8ten them( w/ boiling water). I reeeealllly hope this made sense. I was just typing LOL. Lemme now if you need clarification on anything mentioned. HTH, God Bless:)

When my sis does my braids I get kanekalon, but when I go to a salon I let them use whatever hair they want. I haven't noticed a difference.
Both at home or at the salon we use the "dip in hot water" method to make the curls, but if the ends start looking too raggedy it's probably time to take them out anyway.

The most important thing is that they aren't too tight.

I also like to oil my scalp and it has helped to greatly reduce the number of white bulbs at the base of the braids around my hairline.

Good luck!

Back