Indian Grocery Store-coconut oils

determine3

So today I went into a local Indian grocery and for $2.49 I bought Parachute 100% pure coconut oil and Vatika enriched coconut oil with pure coconut oil, henna, alma and lemon. On the bottle it says
Henna-coats your hair, protects it from oxidation and maintains natural colour.
Alma-strengthens the roots, helps maintain thickness and health
Lemon-controls sebum flow helping to prevent dandruff.

When i walked in and asked for the oil, the owner (man) was like, for your hair? I was so impressed! For $5 I think I got some great products.

Anyone else use either one of these? I'm about to use in my daughter's hair.

trinidarkie1

I have some hang ups about buying Coconut oil for my hair.
Long story.. hubby screaming that we're running late, gotta go! lol

Dogmd

Coconut Oil is the only oil I will use on my hair and my daughters hair. I first found it while on vacation in Brazil 2yrs ago and needed something cuz i had forgotten my own stuff. It is very popular there.. the women have gorgeous long hair. Anyway , i got some organic oil and used a small amount, my hair was so soft, and shiny and stayed under control while everyone else on the trip had to fight with their hair to keep it from poofing out of control because of the heat, humidity, sand and intense sun.

Since then- I have used it every day... I apply it after NTM leave -in at night for my braidouts.. and they turn out great every time...

That is a good price for the coconut oil.. I pay 11.00 for 32 oz at whole foods, cuz you can't find it everywhere here in southern california.

*Happily Me*

determine3 said:
So today I went into a local Indian grocery and for $2.49 I bought Parachute 100% pure coconut oil and Vatika enriched coconut oil with pure coconut oil, henna, alma and lemon. On the bottle it says
Henna-coats your hair, protects it from oxidation and maintains natural colour.
Alma-strengthens the roots, helps maintain thickness and health
Lemon-controls sebum flow helping to prevent dandruff.

When i walked in and asked for the oil, the owner (man) was like, for your hair? I was so impressed! For $5 I think I got some great products.

Anyone else use either one of these? I'm about to use in my daughter's hair.

Lol

I use the Parachute brand too from the Indian store. Been using that for about a year now. My girlfriend Vineeta, who's indian, put my on to this. She says Indian women put coconut oil on their hair each night and wash out in the morning.

It's great isn't it? I use it on my body as well. That are vitamin E.

princesmich

I was born in Guyana, came here at 11, my grandfather owned a farm until he died at age 80 he used to make his own coconut oil and put it on his skin and hair, he did not look like 80 no wrinkles and no grey hair so I think I'm sticking with coconut oil.

morehairplease

thanks ladies for starting this thread! I am taking a class this semester w/a nice indian girl(she gets here eyebrows threaded and they are SO pretty)! so far I have on my list to get:coconut oil & dabur oil....what else ladies :sekret:

Mestiza

I love Coconut Oil, :love: but haven't tried the Parachute brand. I love Amla Oil, but haven't used Vatika Oil, yet!

Blaque*Angel

I :love: vatika, Amla and pure coconut oil, i like to mix coconut oil and Amla as a pre poo then use the Vatika after i wash my hair...results= very soft 4B natural hair :love:

determine3

Here is my update: The Vatika oil is stinky! I'm definately not trying to sound rude when I say this but I recognize the smell. I grew up with east indian friends and I remember this smell in their hair. wow, i should have asked them back then what they were using!!!! I think i'm only going to use this oil once a week but use the pure coconut oil more often.

Please tell me how all of you wonderful ladies use yours. I found for my daughter's hair, it kinda just made it look sparkly!!

Miss*Tress

Amla oil is stinky, but my hair loves it. Anyway, I found a tip for infusing coconut oil with amla powder which I'm preparing now. The powder is supposed to be good for the scalp and keeping the hair dark. After scooping the oil out (it was solid) I put some of it on my hair just to see and I'm liking it already. :up:

LaNecia

MissBiss said:
Amla oil is stinky, but my hair loves it. Anyway, I found a tip for infusing coconut oil with amla powder which I'm preparing now. The powder is supposed to be good for the scalp and keeping the hair dark. After scooping the oil out (it was solid) I put some of it on my hair just to see and I'm liking it already. :up:

How do you infuse the Amla powder with the coconut oil?

nadz

Oooh, my hair just loves coconut oil. I bought a bottle at WF for $3 in the indian products section.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

My hair has been loving coconut oil these past couple of weeks I've used it every morning mixed w/some jojoba oil. I also use the Amla oil and Castor herbal hair oil ( I love this one too it smells soo good) sometimes I apply this over the Amla to remove the strong smell Amla has. I also bought some Brahmi oil, haven't used it yet, but it smells worst than Amla, I think I'll try it only as an overnight treatment.

carameldiva

for those of you having trouble finding indian products go to www.ishopindian.com I have an indian friend at work so i need something i can usually count on him to get it for me- i also have an african friend there too so he brings me stuff back when he goes home as well. For now i have been using 76 degree fractionated coconut oil and i love it - i have been mixing it with pomace b olive oil and using it nitely(doing a co-wash in the a.m.). I got both of these oils at www.thechemistrystore.com

Sistaslick

BeautifulWideEyes said:
[B I also bought some Brahmi oil, haven't used it yet, but it smells worst than Amla, I think I'll try it only as an overnight treatment. [/B]

whaaaaaat?:eek: is that even possible?:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I didn't think you could get worse than the amla!:lachen: That brahmi oil must really be something!

Miss*Tress

VWVixxen said:
How do you infuse the Amla powder with the coconut oil?
I filled a jar with coconut oil, then added 3-4 tbs of amla powder. Then I put the jar in a pot of simmering water and left on the heat to simmer for a couple of hours. You can strain the oil after or let the powder settle to the bottom and scoop the oil from the top.

I've got it on my hair now as a pre-wash oil treatment.