In serious need of a daily moisturizer.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Hello ladies!
I'm having yet another problem and am in need of some serious help. My scalp is dry and itchy and it is driving me crazy! I'm currently using jojoba oil on my scalp which seems to be working but it only gives me about a day of relief and then I have to reapply again. I finally greased my scalp last night with hair grease and that seems to be keeping the itching at bay for the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Also, I need some suggestions for a daily moisturizer. I'm currently using Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave-in, KeraCare Creme Hairdress and seal with coconut oil. I don’t really know if the NTM is really doing much yet since I've only used it twice. I like the KeraCare Hairdress; it makes my hair nice and soft but I don't know if it is moisturizing enough. I’m suffering from hair breakage even after a trim and protein treatments. I had been using Aphogee 2 Minute but I don’t think I’m having a protein issue anymore. Can anyone suggest a daily moisturizer? I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
To calm an irritated scalp, I make sure to massage my scalp well with oil as a prepoo and let it marinate. I only lather once when I shampoo and I make sure to apply conditioner from scalp to tip when I DC.

When I was suffering from breakage, I made sure to DC at least once weekly and wear protective styling. My two fav moisturizers although I don't moisturize and seal daily anymore were Hydrotherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion and Profectiv Mega Growth (this nipped breakage in the bud).

But really, breakage and scalp issues are kind like a big deal and I'd try to find out the cause to really take care of it. HTH

jojoba is a sealant....might be sealing out moisture from the scalp. Try using a sulphate-free shampoo (less drying on hair and scalp).

I am liking the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship leave-in right now.

My two fav moisturizers although I don't moisturize and seal daily anymore were Hydrotherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion and Profectiv Mega Growth (this nipped breakage in the bud).

But really, breakage and scalp issues are kind like a big deal and I'd try to find out the cause to really take care of it. HTH
I have that Pofective stuff... haven't gotten around to using it again though. I suffer from dry skin (eczema) so I know that is part of the problem. Plus, I had switched over to the Pantene Pro-V Natural & Relaxed shampoo and conditioner and my scalp did NOT like it at all. :sad: So I'm looking for a sulfate-free shampoo now.

jojoba is a sealant....might be sealing out moisture from the scalp. Try using a sulphate-free shampoo (less drying on hair and scalp).

I am liking the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship leave-in right now.
Oooh I thought I could use jojoba oil AS a moisturizer. :blush: Ops... thanks for the correction.

I like African Royale MOM Miracle Oil Moisturizer it's really moisturizing and easy to find and has good ingredients. I find that the African Royale Hot 6 Oil is really good as well.

I believe Jojoba Oil is good for the scalp. I've read that it mocks the natural sebum that your scalp creates. The dryness you're experiencing may be from products your using, dehydration, or a medical scalp condition.

What products are you using to shampoo and DC?

Are you drinking enough water?

Regarding a moisturizer, ORS makes a good moisturizer that comes in a bottle. It's a bit heavy though, so if you have fine hair you may want to look for something a bit lighter like Hawaiin Silky 14 n 1.

There's a thread floating around talking about the true nature of hair oils. while jojoba oil mocks our natural scalp oils, it also does not penetrate, meaning it just coats the scalp. if you're really looking to fix your scalp issues, i'd recomend coconut oil. it has antifungal properties, and can be used to moisturize your scalp. i went through a bout of dandruff and dryness last year, & applying coconut oil to my scalp really helped.

& as far as moisturizers are concerned, i'd recommend:

garnier fructis smooth and shine. it's great for softening and moisturizing your hair.
i also like carol's daughter black vanilla leave-in conditioner. smells delicious, leaves a delicate yummy smell in my hair, and is great for when my hair feels a bit dry. it's pricey though.

Hair one, the generic for Wen is a great sulphate free shampoo, and its pretty cheap! I got mine from Sally's, I have pretty fine hair, and it works well for me...As for daily leave in, I also use Neutrogena, and I like it for right after my shampoos but not so much for every day,

What shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioner are you currently using?
I was using the Patene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural shampoo and conditioner and my scalp hated it so I went back to Dove Intense Danage Therapy shampoo and conditioner. I'm also using KeraCare Humecto as a DC. It's all I have at the moment since I haven't decided which shampoo or conditioner to try.

I have that Pofective stuff... haven't gotten around to using it again though. I suffer from dry skin (eczema) so I know that is part of the problem. Plus, I had switched over to the Pantene Pro-V Natural & Relaxed shampoo and conditioner and my scalp did NOT like it at all. :sad: So I'm looking for a sulfate-free shampoo now.

Oooh I thought I could use jojoba oil AS a moisturizer. :blush: Ops... thanks for the correction.

Oh that Pantene R&N shampoo is the devil! I looove the condish but the poo, not so much. I'm not familiar with experiencing exema, but have you tried checking an excema forum out because you may have to make an adjustment no matter what product you use.

*co-sign on non-sulfate shampoo. It makes a HUGE difference in your scalp. Consider switching to an all-natural shampoo like Trader Joe's Nourishspa (it's only $3) or another sulfate-free poo like Organix (at walgreens, walmart, target)

have you tried Coconut oil on your scalp? My scalp is loving it, and it absorbs reallllly well.

As for a daily moisturizer, you might really like Hairveda's Whipped Cream. It's light, smells delicious, and moisturizes well, especially when sealed with coconut oil.

I'm not familiar with experiencing exema, but have you tried checking an excema forum out because you may have to make an adjustment no matter what product you use.
I just did a search on eczema on the forum. I didn't even know there were threads about it. You're probably right about the adjustment part.

*co-sign on non-sulfate shampoo. It makes a HUGE difference in your scalp. Consider switching to an all-natural shampoo like Trader Joe's Nourishspa (it's only $3) or another sulfate-free poo like Organix (at walgreens, walmart, target)

have you tried Coconut oil on your scalp? My scalp is loving it, and it absorbs reallllly well.

As for a daily moisturizer, you might really like Hairveda's Whipped Cream. It's light, smells delicious, and moisturizes well, especially when sealed with coconut oil.
Don't think there is a Trader Joe's near me so I will be looking out for he Organix or the Aveeno like someone else had suggested. I have coconut oil but never thought to put it on my scalp... silly me. Thanks.

Hair grease for dry scalp

Ok, so I have another question. I used a little bit of grease on my scalp a yesterday and so far it seems be keeping the itching at bay. But... the first two ingredints listed are: petrolatum and mineral oil. I'm trying to avoid petrolaum; mineral oil doesn't bother me that much but I don't want to smoother it all over my head! Are there any alternative to this? Or is it really nothing to worry about?

Is your hair dry? I would avoid the grease if it is. I would also avoid those two ingredients....

I use to have an excessively dry scalp. The culprit was sulfate shampoos in my case. I think if you change your shampoo you won't need to "grease" your scalp. The coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil will be enough to relieve any dryness. I personally try to avoid any petroleum or mineral oil if I can, but I don't make that a hard and fast rule if the product actually works for me.

As for a moisturizer, Qhemet Biologics makes a great moisturizer called Burdock Butter Root Creme or something like that. Its very moisturising, not too oily, but may be considered a little pricey since you may need to order it over the internet. I usually seal that with coconut oil every other day or so. This is the best moisturizer I have ever used.
HTH

Look into Nizoral shampoo. It's really helped with my itchy scalp. I use it for the first lather and my normal moisturizing shampoo next. I even use it on ds hair once a week he has very dry patches (he has eczema) in his hair and nizoral will clear it up.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Barbie83 for the Organix suggestion. I picked up some Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner from Walmart. I used it twice so far and my scalp barely itches anymore.
I've since learned that my skin is very sensitive to sulfates... go figure.

I'd reccomend using a sulfate free shampoo like creme of nature green and white bottle, or elasta qp conditioning creme shampoo. Lateher up only twice workin your way down to only one lather. As far as oils when my scalp is feeling tight dry and itchy I either use coconut oil or Jane Carter nourish and shine. A little goes a long way! As far as moisturizer I'll use Lacio Lacio ( formula with mink oil in it) and seal witan coconut oil or the nourish and shine!

Back