i'm thinking i'm going to texturize

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i've been searching the threads and I am trying to decide if i want the Affirm Fiberguard Lye and the Elasta qp mild. I am frustrated with my natural hair. i have had 2 major trims this year well cuts the first was 2-3in due to split ends via dry hair and the second about a week ago was for the same and it was 2in. All in all i have 0 inches of retained growth for the year.

I am tired of not being able to hold a flatiron style for more than 2-3days a week if i'm lucky

i'm tired of shrinkage

i'm tired of dry hair

i'm tired of detangling and feeling like i'm loosing too much hair on a wash day

i'm tired of trying to stretch and shingle my natural kinks with milliondollar products

i'm just tired so if someone could spare a few thoughts or tips on self texturizing i would appreciate it

DO YOU SMOOTH A TEXTURIZER OR JUST APPLY AND NEUTRALIZE, i figured out to do it in sections

lawgirl02

Do you think applying a chemical will help your already dry hair? :eek:

If you MUST use a relaxer, I think the Affirm would be better in terms of preventing dryness.

lovechic

I don't smooth, I just apply light applications and rinse/neutralize/shampoo. I never leave it on longer than 10 minutes.

Nanyanika

personally, i found that when i texturized the first time, my hair held moisture better, i didn't have to keep applying zillkions of products to keep my ends moist like with my natural hair, where my ends dried and broke off easily, the texturizer put an end to that issue. my hair was easier to wash and comb through and my coils were nicely defined and very natural looking with less shrinkage.

nekilaki

MsPortugal... girl I feel you! I'm tired of aaalllll dat too! :whyme:

I'm getting a texturizer this afternoon. I believe the stylist uses affirm and I used to use it when I was relaxed and my hair was at BSL. I'll take notes and tell you what my beautician does (which is hopefully what I tell her to do - which will be no smoothing on the crown where I have loose curls and waves, and slight smoothing at the nape where my tighter curls are).

I'll let post my results in my album.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
lawgirl02 said:
Do you think applying a chemical will help your already dry hair? :eek:

If you MUST use a relaxer, I think the Affirm would be better in terms of preventing dryness.

i know it sounds crazy but my hair actually hold moisture better relaxed

thanks ladies i guess i will wait on the affirm to arrive by mail if i cant find it locally

Netta1

Well, I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Your natural hair is so BEAUTIFUL...what are you taking 'bout?????????????? (((((SIGH)))))

*fallen to my knees*

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
Netta1 said:
Well, I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Your natural hair is so BEAUTIFUL...what are you taking 'bout?????????????? (((((SIGH)))))

*fallen to my knees*

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

Deniece

Natural Beauty
LOL...Girl you are crazy.

It is sad, but hey gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope it turns out moist and long for ya.

TigerLily

I feel ya, MsP. That's exactly why I'm getting a wave nouveau!

Not to mention, the only style that my hair can tolerate is a fro! :( Cornrows and twists are OUT OF THE QUESTION! No matter what kind of product I put on it to cornrow/twist, my hair frizzes/balls up out of the style into a........FRO!!!! :rofl::(

Lucia

TigerLily said:
I feel ya, MsP. That's exactly why I'm getting a wave nouveau!

Not to mention, the only style that my hair can tolerate is a fro! :( Cornrows and twists are OUT OF THE QUESTION! No matter what kind of product I put on it to cornrow/twist, my hair frizzes/balls up out of the style into a........FRO!!!! :rofl::(
Wave nouveau, does anyone know what the main ingredients are? any lye?

Last edited:

Lucia

msportugal said:
i know it sounds crazy but my hair actually hold moisture better relaxed
My hair was the exact opposite I couldnt' keep moisture in my relaxed hair. My hair just hates relaxers I've accepted it.

TigerLily

Lucia said:

The main ingredient is thiotriglcride(sp?) All I know is that it's a thio based product. Which I could remember the rest of the name instead of part of it!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!! :wallbash: I know for sure that there isn't any lye in this product....

I'll most likely remember the rest of the name at 3:00am as usual....:rolleyes:

bluediamond0829

Lucia said:

I Think its called glycerin..i think thats the main ingredient in a curl...dont quote me on that because im not for sure..but i know its something like that...because i think in a discussion before we talked about the ingredients in curls that made peoples hair grow so fast when they had it

kristina

I'm sad too but I totally understand. I feel like I only really like the high effort styles- tiny twists, tiny braids or a flat iron. So there's really no happy medium for me- either high maintainence or hot mess. And the latter normally prevails because I'm lazy. My hair frustrations are what motivated me to hide under braids for the moment- and its soooo much easier.
I'm still put off on texturizers because like Lucia, I've concluded that my hair really doesn't like chemicals (and demostrated this by falling out in clumps once)
Whatever you do please please please do a strand test of a small section before going all the way. Best of luck.

Netta1

msportugal said:
ddddddddddddddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

Girl you are funny lol.

Okay whats your diet looking like? Are you getting a good amount of Fruits and Veggies. Hows your water intake? Do you work out?? How often?

I'll stop there for now.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
kristina said:
I'm sad too but I totally understand. I feel like I only really like the high effort styles- tiny twists, tiny braids or a flat iron. So there's really no happy medium for me- either high maintainence or hot mess. And the latter normally prevails because I'm lazy. My hair frustrations are what motivated me to hide under braids for the moment- and its soooo much easier.
I'm still put off on texturizers because like Lucia, I've concluded that my hair really doesn't like chemicals (and demostrated this by falling out in clumps once)
Whatever you do please please please do a strand test of a small section before going all the way. Best of luck.

yeah i feel ya on the strand test i dont want to have any falling out or anything like that i am constantly cutting my hair because of split ends but i'm oiling moisturizing conditioning etc and no help even mid shaft splits and splits that start an inch up what to do what to do i have cut 4-5in of hair off this year meaning no progress because i have only 4in of growth per yr mtg better help me soon!!!! good thing i cant buy affirm fiberguard at the store or i'd do it today