Anybody else tired of going to hair salons?

[ QUOTE ]
Hairdressers that have no regard for you or your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that too. I was in a salon ALL DAY on time because my hairdresser wanted to stop every 5 minutes to yap her mouth off for 643532 hours at a time with her girls
swearing.gif
!!!

The last time I went to a salon was in May. I was giving "professionals" one last time. My hair came out bone straight which I learned after coming to this board is not good and she told me I couldn't get a roller set unless I got my hair "cut" in a style. I do my own relaxers and rollersets now.

Hi, Im from the Chicago area. Who is your stylist that you are talking about. I am interested because my beauticians cut way to much!

I am tired of stylists who are not as well-trained as they ought to be.

I like my stylist. He's a nice person, and does a decent relaxer.

Additionally, he is well-trained re: applying color and giving cuts.

However, he needs some additional training in the care and maintenance of Afro-Caribbean hair. Which surprises me, given that he is Puerto Rican.

This gentleman's clientele is approximately 40% African American. Still, he blow dries, when wet roller sets should be the standard.

Additionally, I do not like all of the fixidants he applies to my hair, such as hair spray, and I ask him not to do so.

Last, he does not apply a conditioning treatment unless I request it, or unless he feels I need it. According to Carolyn Gray, this, again, is the standard following a chemical service.

So, homeboy has a bit more schooling to obtain in order to become truly proficient in the care and maintencance of Afro-Caribbean hair.

As a three-year resident of Augusta, GA, I patronized a stylist by the name of Lily. Now, Lily was not always the most congenial, as I can count on the proverbial one hand the number of times I left her shop within three hours of arriving. It was the typical relaxathon: arrive on time to leave eight hours later. Despite this, Lily performed a very nice relaxer touch up.

Anyway...

northernbelle

I agree with FineChyna's comment re: lack of professionalism in Black shops. While I am sure that there are many such salons which are managed professionally, many are not, and employ stylists with Major League attitudes.

I, too, patronize a White-owned and operated day spa for my eyebrow waxes and nail services, and have ALWAYS been treated with the utmost in professionalism and respect.

That's not to say that there aren't Black-owned and operated shops which are run professionally. Unfortunately, this has not been my experience thus far.

I can identify with many of the complaints on this thread. It's interesting that this thread came up today because I was just reading Glamour last night and it had an article from the beauty editor about "professionals" (e.g., hair stylists, aestheticians, nail technicians, etc.) who are bullies. I was surprised at the treatment she encountered, even when these people knew she was a beauty editor of a national magazine. It looks like we're not the only ones who've encountered these problems.

The salon I used to patronize for my touchups is white-owned and operated. It definitely ran on time, which I really appreciate. And the place was always *clean* which I definitely appreciate. My stylist, a woman of color, had thick, healthy, long hair (so she should have known better)...and she wound up burning my scalp severely anyway, among other exceedingly unprofessional actions. I did get a refund from the salon but...
nono.gif

I received a couple of recommendations for other stylists - same salon, different location, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Brownie,

I am SOOOO with you on that girl... Especially the part about ripping through the tangles and trying to hide the hair they pull out. I really want to get to the point where I don't go to the salon anymore. Problem is I need to learn the self relax thing. I'm almost more afraid of what I might do to my own hair if I start self relaxing.

Here's a question for those that do self relax. How did you get started doing it? Did you have problems the first time you tried it?

I'm fed up with stylists who do things to your hair without telling you what they are doing. When I went to a JCPenney salong after I found my breakage, the woman blowdried me (as I asked for) and then pulled a hot comb out of her bag and started pressing my new growth. She didn't bother to say anything to me about doing it but obviously I figured out what she was doing! The part that made me uncomfortable was that she pulled it out of her bag! And if someone is complaining of breakage the new growth line, why would you pull out out a hot comb and begin using it without saying anything.

Oh, and she did all of this while at the same time telling me that if I came to her on a regular basis my hair would be healthy and not so dry anymore! Uggh! I took her card and walked out knowing I'd never be back!

Another thing that irritates me is when I got to a salon for an appointment and am not even acknowledged for 3 hours. No simple "sorry, we're behind" or anything. Nothing. I'm just supposed to sit there and wait. I waited two times too many before I stopped going to this one particular salon.

I also never liked it when they'd talk on the phone or to other people while relaxing my hair! Um...pay attention already!

I also hate it when they start working on you and then sit you aside while they "squeeze in" someone else b/c they need to get out of there! Hmmph! Well, so do I and that's why I made an appointment!

I won't be visiting another salong till the earliest December and if I don't go then, it won't be till March!

I am ready to throw in the towel like you ladies!!! I hate hairdressers. I am very tenderheaded so I'm ultra sensitive about tugging and pulling and I have really thick hair when its wet and it needs a leavein, widetooth comb and PROPER combing technique (ends up!!!). The last time I went to get my t-up I actually took the comb(that I brought) and showed her how to comb my hair. Then we she used the fine tooth to set my hair i actually said "ow" and "ouch" when she tugged cause it hurt! OHMIGOD! you would have thought I shot someone for expressing myself. She actually had the nerve to call me "Baby" in a mocking way. Like I'm supposed to have a scalp of steel. Y'all I wanted to cut her! Ok, i'm just venting but seriously i want to start relaxing my own hair...or at least by someone who'll do all my services the way i want. We should start doing each others hair!

[ QUOTE ]
caralexis2005 said:
I am ready to throw in the towel like you ladies!!! I hate hairdressers. I am very tenderheaded so I'm ultra sensitive about tugging and pulling and I have really thick hair when its wet and it needs a leavein, widetooth comb and PROPER combing technique (ends up!!!). The last time I went to get my t-up I actually took the comb(that I brought) and showed her how to comb my hair. Then we she used the fine tooth to set my hair i actually said "ow" and "ouch" when she tugged cause it hurt! OHMIGOD! you would have thought I shot someone for expressing myself. She actually had the nerve to call me "Baby" in a mocking way. Like I'm supposed to have a scalp of steel. Y'all I wanted to cut her! Ok, i'm just venting but seriously i want to start relaxing my own hair...or at least by someone who'll do all my services the way i want. We should start doing each others hair!

[/ QUOTE ]

Caralexis and Hairlove,
I feel your pain. At the moment, I won't be going back to a hairdresser---except maybe for a roller set. I did the ouch thing too, and that didn't stop that demon hairdresser from going to town on my head. I even told her when it was time to wash the relaxer out, and she tells me, "I'm not done yet, and I've been doing this for 13 years; I know what I'm doing." That was almost 2 months ago. I know one thing's for sure, THAT hairdresser will never see me or this head ever again. At the moment, I'm thinking about transitioning because I don't want to go to salons anymore. I know this is bad, but I'd rather use a blowdryer on my new growth every couple weeks than trust a hairstylist with chemicals anywhere near my head
wallbash.gif

Back