I'm thinking about transitioning W/O the Big Chop!

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Re: I\'m thinking about transitioning W/O the Big C

Nah, I don thave any pics...I would be too embarassed to show any pics....but just so you know, I am actually albino....I have naturally golden blonde hair.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
PittGirl06 said:
Nah, I don thave any pics...I would be too embarassed to show any pics....but just so you know, I am actually albino....I have naturally golden blonde hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds beautiful! I wanna see pics when you're ready.

PittGirl06

My hair is the same color as the baby's hair. I found this pic on the web.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

That's a unique color! I'm sure you are a beautiful young lady!

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

Well, I wasn't transitioning, but my hair went from permed to natural in about 1.5 years, and it was shoulder length. Every time I had my braids re done i'd chop another 1.5 inches of the relaxer off.

x

PittGirl06

Yeah, I suppose tha tis th ebest way to do it...did any of you who went natural eventually try to make your hai reven? My hair is very uneven.....

sweetcocoa

Re: I\'m thinking about transitioning W/O the Big Chop!

i think alot has to do with your hair type and how fast it grows. between frequent shampooing and exercise i got chin length in 1 year...i still didn't do the final chop until i got 2 more inches. I had also done several 'mini' chops before that like a 4 inch chop at first to get rid of a lot of damage and the rest were 2 inch chops. it wasn't hard at all to transistion for me. i wore my hair back all the time anyways...and when i wanted it straight i did rollersets using a relaxing balm(kms flatout) on the new growth to help the 2 textures blend more...that's the key...minimizing the difference between the 2 and keeping my hair moisturized.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
CharUK said:
Well, I wasn't transitioning, but my hair went from permed to natural in about 1.5 years, and it was shoulder length. Every time I had my braids re done i'd chop another 1.5 inches of the relaxer off.

x

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so I'm clear, where did you measure? I am not sure how people are getting shoulder length hair from the top of their heads in 6 months - 1.5 years. I've seen pictures of many naturals on the web and they are just barely at shoulder length at 2 years. Do you mean shoulder length with straight hair in 1.5 years? I am not saying I don't believe you...just wondering if we're all measuring the same way or maybe my hair just grows slower!

Take a look at this website...it shows a woman's transition from mid-97 to late 99. Her hair is just below shoulder length straight and that's almost 2.5 years.

Got2B

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Just so I'm clear, where did you measure? I am not sure how people are getting shoulder length hair from the top of their heads in 6 months - 1.5 years. I've seen pictures of many naturals on the web and they are just barely at shoulder length at 2 years. Do you mean shoulder length with straight hair in 1.5 years? I am not saying I don't believe you...just wondering if we're all measuring the same way or maybe my hair just grows slower!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering the same thing, hairlove!

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

I should have been clearer, I started off *with* shoulder length relaxed hair. After I'd finally taken the braids out, it was just below my ear.

x

ETA: I *wish* I was that lucky!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
CharUK said:
I should have been clearer, I started off *with* shoulder length relaxed hair. After I'd finally taken the braids out, it was just below my ear.

x

ETA: I *wish* I was that lucky!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification. Now, that makes much more sense!!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
People who are transitioning, when you started..was your hair really long to being with? Is that why is seems like it takes really long? For some reason, it seems like it wouldn't "seem" like it would take as long if you started off with shorter hair.. know what I mean? Or is that stupid to think that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you referring? The length/rate of hair growth or the time of transitioning? If you're referring to the time of transitioning then yes, it will take longer to transition completely if you're starting off with longer hair and don't plan on doing the big chop.

For instance, my guess is that I have about 9/10 inches of natural hair right now. Well, if I had started off with 10 inches of relaxed hair, I would most likely be all natural by now if I had been trimming my hair and keeping it the same length.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I meant.. I got a haircut back in March.. cut to mid neck length.. right now.. when I blowdry it, it's almost to my shoulders.. I haven't relaxed since about Feb 10th.. so I'm hoping it doesn't seem that long to transition since I started off with shorter hair.. I should probably keep getting it trimmed though huh??

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
PittGirl06 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, you shouldn't be embarassed at all..I bet you and your hair are beautiful!!!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
People who are transitioning, when you started..was your hair really long to being with? Is that why is seems like it takes really long? For some reason, it seems like it wouldn't "seem" like it would take as long if you started off with shorter hair.. know what I mean? Or is that stupid to think that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you referring? The length/rate of hair growth or the time of transitioning? If you're referring to the time of transitioning then yes, it will take longer to transition completely if you're starting off with longer hair and don't plan on doing the big chop.

For instance, my guess is that I have about 9/10 inches of natural hair right now. Well, if I had started off with 10 inches of relaxed hair, I would most likely be all natural by now if I had been trimming my hair and keeping it the same length.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I meant.. I got a haircut back in March.. cut to mid neck length.. right now.. when I blowdry it, it's almost to my shoulders.. I haven't relaxed since about Feb 10th.. so I'm hoping it doesn't seem that long to transition since I started off with shorter hair.. I should probably keep getting it trimmed though huh??

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you want to do. I am transitioning but that doesn't mean that I am trimming my hair constantly. I can't rush my hair growth so I'm not really rushing getting to shorter hair either. I haven't trimmed since late December 2003 but I will getting a trim at the end of this month. BTW - my ends are healthy. If they weren't, I would be getting more regular trims!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

Wow you haven't had a trim in a long time.. I use to get a trim every 6-8 weeks because I kept my hair pretty short..so I needed a trim to keep its shape.. I'm not sure what I'll so.. I can never make up my mind..lol

Thanks for the help!

Poohbear

I trimmed my hair on May 10 because I couldnt stand the unevenness. But Im not trimming for a long long time!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

I had alot cut off because of unevenness!! That's why it was cut so short.. but I started using a satin pillow and that has helped TREMENDOUSLY!! I'll prolly get another trim at the end of the summer...

Ayeshia

Good Luck with your transition Poohbear...I only did the big chop because I knew for a fact that i would be tempted to relax again. Maybe it would help you to refer to my hair album, because I have 3B hair too so you can see just about how long it takes to get to shoulder length etc. I started at one inch of hair in November and now I have 4 in (well minus about 2 inches of trims between november and now).

Adrian3bc

i transitioned for about 6 months and i almost totally regrew my shoulder length hair. i think it does depend on hair type. im a 3b/c and my hair growns like 3/4 of an inch a month. i started texturizing the roots to tame my thick bush but since it has slowed the growth. i plan to start back doing rollersets and/ or flat ironing to finish growing out my straighter parts (my hair will never be bone straight just a fact of my life). i choose not to wear braids b/c they arent "me"

good luck

kitchen_tician

I tried it for 7 months and it didn't work. I had lots of breakage, but i think this was due to the stylist's over use of heat. I did learn that I am able to stretch my perms out longer. Also, I'm glad I didn't make the BC because I ended up changing my mind and ended up perming it anyway. Also you may want to think about the seasons when you start transitioning. It's easier to start when the weather gets cooler, like in the fall .I really wanted this to work, but oh well. I hope it works for you. Keep Us Posted.

TigerLily

My hair was shoulder length. I transitioned for a year. I mostly kept my hair in braids and roller sets. Occasionally, I would press the new growth and wear a wrap. I finally got tired of dealing with the two textures and did the big chop about two weeks ago. I have about 5 -7 inches of hair, which makes for a nice 'fro.

I washed and deep condtioned my hair weekly. Here are some of the products that I used:

Biosilk hydrating shampoo, conditioner, and silk therapy
Silk Elements shampoo, conditioner, mega cholesterol treatment, glossing polish
Fantasia IC leave-in aloe vera conditioner, liquid mousse setting lotion, and gel ice pomade
Neutrogena shampoo, condtioner, hair mask, healing shine serum
elasta qp mango butter, ORS olive oil and shea butter lotion, and wild growth oil.

I usually put the elasta qp mango butter/ORS shea butter lotion on my hair in the morning and use the wild growth hair oil at night and braid my hair into 5 or 6 loose cornrows so my hair will be soft and manageble the next morning.

HTH!

mermaid

[ QUOTE ]
PittGirl06 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay- whoa! Today I was just thinking bout a girl I saw on the bus several years ago who was albino, but black and was wondering about her skin sensitivity- don't ask why, I just tend to float off into thought at the strangest times. She was so pretty and I kept staring, and felt like a dork BECAUSE I was staring!!
Anyways, back to the subject. I transitioned years ago with individual braided extensions, but wasn't trying to transition. I just wore my hair like that for so long, that when I quit the style for a while, it was all natural. Best thing I ever did for my hair.

aprilbiz

I really give you guys props for sticking with your transition. I have started it soooo many times. I hate relaxers, but I can't deal with my hair without one. Much success to all of you!

sweetcocoa

when my natural hair got to chin length..i waited 2 more inches(see my post) because i was taking in account the shrinkage factor...so when it was just above the shoulders i did the final cut...which when dry came to my chin.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Adrian3bc said:
i transitioned for about 6 months and i almost totally regrew my shoulder length hair. i think it does depend on hair type. im a 3b/c and my hair growns like 3/4 of an inch a month. i started texturizing the roots to tame my thick bush but since it has slowed the growth. i plan to start back doing rollersets and/ or flat ironing to finish growing out my straighter parts (my hair will never be bone straight just a fact of my life). i choose not to wear braids b/c they arent "me"

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Adrian3bc,
Where was your starting point before growing it to shoulder length??? Are you still transitioning??? Right now, I've been wearing my hair down or doing the ponytail method. I will probably do braids for June and maybe July, but when school goes back in session in August, I'll probably start doing rollersets again.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
I tried it for 7 months and it didn't work. I had lots of breakage, but i think this was due to the stylist's over use of heat. I did learn that I am able to stretch my perms out longer. Also, I'm glad I didn't make the BC because I ended up changing my mind and ended up perming it anyway. Also you may want to think about the seasons when you start transitioning. It's easier to start when the weather gets cooler, like in the fall .I really wanted this to work, but oh well. I hope it works for you. Keep Us Posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't go to a stylist and I have given up the use of heat (just curling irons, I sometimes dry my hair with a blowdryer if I want to wear my hair straight or hooded dryer for rollersets, I do airdry sometimes)
. I will surely keep the seasons in mind but I'm not too worried right now since my last relaxer was April 27th, so it hasnt been that long for a lotta new growth. Thanks for your encouragement!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:

Silk Elements shampoo, conditioner, mega cholesterol treatment, glossing polish

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have Silk Elements Glossing Polish

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
mermaid said:
Anyways, back to the subject. I transitioned years ago with individual braided extensions, but wasn't trying to transition. I just wore my hair like that for so long, that when I quit the style for a while, it was all natural. Best thing I ever did for my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you remember how long you wore the individual extensions??? How long was your hair before and after wearing the extensions???