I'm thinking about transitioning W/O the Big Chop!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I\'m thinking about transitioning W/O the Big Chop!

I've been looking at Aaliyah and Jada Pinkett and have been really inspired by their long natural hair. I'm tired of this thin relaxed hair.

I'm thinking about transitioning without the BIG CHOP! My hair type is 3b I think
. I know hairlove is doing this and I wonder if there are anymore members out there that are doing so...

If so, can u please help me as I start to transition? Give me a taste of your regimes. And do u think it's ok to transition in cornrow or braid extensions sometimes?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Irresistible

Re: I\'m thinking about transitioning W/O the Big C

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I've been looking at Aaliyah and Jada Pinkett and have been really inspired by their long natural hair. I'm tired of this thin relaxed hair.

I'm thinking about transitioning without the BIG CHOP! I know hairlove is doing this and I wonder if there are anymore members out there that are doing so...

If so, can u please help me as I start to transition? Give me a taste of your regimes. And do u think it's ok to transition in cornrow or braid extensions sometimes?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ] Do it! Do it! Do it!

yes you can transition with braid extensions....i did

Poohbear

...Also, how long does it approx. take to transition to where your natural hair is shoulder length or longer???

inthepink

I've been transitioning for a year and 2 months and my natural hair starting from my crown is end of ear length. (You can see in my album) I hope my crown reaches my shoulders by next march in its curly state. So, I guess it depends on how fast your hair grows. But, it is not a quick thing...takes a lot of patience!

Sweetyb

Re: I\'m thinking about transitioning W/O the Big Chop!

lol, you definitely don't want to take any transitioning advice from me! I used to press my hair with an electric comb... e-v-ery morning b/4 work during my transition--NOT a good idea

Do you like wearing extensions?

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
...Also, how long does it approx. take to transition to where your natural hair is shoulder length or longer???

[/ QUOTE ] well girl, that will take a while....i did this over ten years ago so im not sure exactly how long it took, but i know it took maybe two to three years to reach the top of my shoulders all natural. so it does take patience thats for sure, and of course it's probably different for everyone too

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Re: I\'m thinking about transitioning W/O the Big Chop!

Well transitioning is definitely not for the faint of heart...I've been doing it for a little over half of a year now. I've run into walls at time when my hair didn't respond to products like it used to

But that's the good thing about this forum....you can always get different methods and learn of different products (hence my PJ'ism from which I'm trying to deal with by being in the freakin May PJ challenge
)
I wash my hair every 3 to 4 days and rinse my hair daily then use some leave in (conditioner washes do NOTHING for me) I use avocado butter (which I learned about after Irresistable's aveda incident,thanks for sharing girl
)
Finding products that work for you is the biggest challenge.....but if you want to take it easy, DO THE BRAIDS. I personally don't have much patience but if you do then go for it!
HTH

bettydavis

I transitioned wearing braids for over a year. I had no regimen while I was doing it, but all the relaxed hair broke off and I was left with about 6 inches of natural hair. That was when I found this board. If you don't want to do a BC, wearing braids back to back is a great way to transistion so you don't have to deal with your hair.

inthepink

Sometimes I get sooooo sick of my hair and sometimes I just love it...love watching it transition and change. It's such a challenge though b/c about every 4 months, I have to change my regimen. Or I start to feel bored with the way I wear my hair. There's always something I'm struggling with. I want my hair to look nice while I transition just as if I were all relaxed or all natural. It's such a challenge though. Takes a lot of patience. I believe it will be worth it in the end but I just have to get there. You have to find inspirations to keep you going...like people with hair that is similar to yours...something to look forward to...something to keep you going. It's hard but I believe it can be done! Good luck on your decision.

Boadicea

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I was thinking about transitioning, I let my natural hair grow to shoulder length and it took 6.5 months. In the summer was when my natural hair just started growing like a weed.

I was in Florida for vacation when I realized it. My hair went from ear lobe to shoulder length in 2 and a half months (late spring-summer). In the other previous 4 months, it had grown to ear lobe length before the warm weather boost.

morehairplease

No advice but I plan on transitioning without the BC with the help of braids. I have only been without a relaxer for seven weeks and I plan on getting braids next week(Fri.). I wish you luck and will should really keep in touch.....transitioning buddies!!!

Warmest regards and HHG!

gabrielle2

congrats on your decision..and i wish you well

i didnt transition long at ALL even though that was my INTENTION. i was sporting 2 strand twist extensions that i loved and did that and other braided styles for 8 months..until i said...I AM READY TO PLAY IN MY OWN HAIR! lol..so i cut those twists out and havent looked back. (had a 2nd big chop done in dec..starting over with a twa...NOT intentional...went for a trim and was butchered)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Also, there is an excellent article in Essence this month on transitioning with lots of helpful advice.

If you have a no-lye relaxer--you could also consider transitioning to a lye relaxer for healthier hair that's not dry.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I've been transitioning for a year and 2 months and my natural hair starting from my crown is end of ear length. (You can see in my album) I hope my crown reaches my shoulders by next march in its curly state. So, I guess it depends on how fast your hair grows. But, it is not a quick thing...takes a lot of patience!

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW that does take a long time!! I didn't think it would be that long..UGH..I think I'm transitioning w/o a big chop.. but I'm not sure.. I want to..I didn't think it would take that long though.. but I much rather have curly hair.. if I don't do "natural", I'm going to get it texturized.. I think I'm a 3b..

gabrielle2

oh yeah..you can also check out nappturality.com. they have a transitioners forum. you will be able to find a lot of helpful tips there and all through out the site along with women who are doing the same..along with having hair albums filled with transitioning styles.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Also, there is an excellent article in Essence this month on transitioning with lots of helpful advice.

If you have a no-lye relaxer--you could also consider transitioning to a lye relaxer for healthier hair that's not dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive always used lye relaxers.

Poohbear

My last relaxer was April 27th, 2004 so I guess that will be my starting point for transitioning. It's sometimes had to be patient but not thinking about it so much helps to make me more patient about things. Im will be a junior and college right now and I was thinking I could maybe have natural hair to my shoulders after graduating with an MBA in 2006. I'll try to focus on that.

Can you transitioners or former transitioners give me a list of styles you wear during transitioning???

Poohbear

Hairlove,

Your album is very helpful! You do a good job taking care of those two textures of your hair!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

People who are transitioning, when you started..was your hair really long to being with? Is that why is seems like it takes really long? For some reason, it seems like it wouldn't "seem" like it would take as long if you started off with shorter hair.. know what I mean? Or is that stupid to think that way?

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!

I am thinking about transitioning too...I know a woman who transitioned using braids an dshe is trying to grow her hair out....I have never seen her in person without her braids, but she says that her natural hair is a little past her shoulders. Don't know how long it took her hair to ge thtat length though.

I dont even know how my REAL texture is. I wish I had a whole head of hair with my natural texture...and I just may transition...I dunno. I just had a relaxer last week though....hehe

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
People who are transitioning, when you started..was your hair really long to being with? Is that why is seems like it takes really long? For some reason, it seems like it wouldn't "seem" like it would take as long if you started off with shorter hair.. know what I mean? Or is that stupid to think that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair is shoulder length which is shorter than some that may have passed shoulder-length or brastrap length, so I dont how I will feel after a few months of transitioning...

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Hairlove,

Your album is very helpful! You do a good job taking care of those two textures of your hair!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Poohbear.

To answer you other question...I mostly do braidouts and create some kind of style with those - ponytails or buns mostly.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW that does take a long time!! I didn't think it would be that long..UGH..I think I'm transitioning w/o a big chop.. but I'm not sure.. I want to..I didn't think it would take that long though.. but I much rather have curly hair.. if I don't do "natural", I'm going to get it texturized.. I think I'm a 3b..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does take a while. The last time I measured my crown was around Feb/March and it was 8 inches long. I did a really tiny trim. So, I am guessing my growth rate to be about 8-9 inches a year. I have a theory that relaxing stunts my hair growth and I may have missed out on an inch or two last year. Additionally, if I were look at the hair that grows starting at my ear - that hair IS shoulder length. It just depends on where your starting point is located on your head. I look at my crown b/c if I were to cut my hair evenly, that is the hair length that makes the difference.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you referring? The length/rate of hair growth or the time of transitioning? If you're referring to the time of transitioning then yes, it will take longer to transition completely if you're starting off with longer hair and don't plan on doing the big chop.

For instance, my guess is that I have about 9/10 inches of natural hair right now. Well, if I had started off with 10 inches of relaxed hair, I would most likely be all natural by now if I had been trimming my hair and keeping it the same length.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
PittGirl06 said:

I dont even know how my REAL texture is. I wish I had a whole head of hair with my natural texture...and I just may transition...I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here!

PittGirl06

You know, I just may transition...I would just have to find me the right stylist with the right prices...heh...so tha tthe hwole experience is pocket friendly! :)

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
PittGirl06 said:
You know, I just may transition...I would just have to find me the right stylist with the right prices...heh...so tha tthe hwole experience is pocket friendly! :)

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, it would be nice to have a stylist I could trust and go to every 2 weeks. I mostly do my hair myself b/c I don't trust anyone. I haven't been to a stylist in almost 5 months.

PittGirl06

wow. hairlove, if I had any sort of skill with my own hair, I would soooo be doing it myself...lol You should see me try to roll my own hair.....and dont let me near a curling iron!! Heh, and i fyou REALLY wan ta laugh, watch me try to wrap my hair....LOL. And ge tthis...my DADDY can BRAID better than me AND my mom!!! Yeah, i think for ht etime being I will stick with stylists...lol

Poohbear

PittGirl06,

Do you have any pics???

Poohbear

My mom and myself are the only ones I trust with my hair. We are the only ones that know about my hair.
Why should I let a hair stylist that doesn't know my hair work on it? The only time I've went to a hair stylist is to get hairdos for proms/dances back in highschool.