I'm so scared....kinda long

Cayenne0622

I need your encouragement right now. I am sooo scared. Some of you know my story but for those who don't. My hair started shedding drastically in June 06. After many months of trying garlic shampoo, alter ego cren, essations hair mender, and many, many other products, nothing helped my shedding stop. It would slightly slow but never stopped. In October 06 I went to the dermatologist. She has me using a prescription shampoo called Nizoral. I'm so afraid of my hair that I don't do anything with it anymore. I prepoo with a protein conditioner (AO GPB), shampoo with the Nizoral and then deep condition. I detangle in the shower and put my leave in on my hair and tie it down and let it dry. From there it goes into a bun. My hair has been underprocessed during every relaxer since September 06.

Anyway, I plan to finally relax my hair straight on Monday. I'm scared to see the condition my hair is going to be in. I've had so much breakage for the last few months and I'm not sure if its from the bunning but I don't pull my hair tight and I use satin scrunchies soaked in oil when I pull it back and put on my phony pony. My hair is growing like crazy but I'm scared that once I finally see it straight that the breakage and shedding will have taken its toll and force me to cut my hair from neck length to chin length and start over. I want healthy hair but I just don't know what to do to stop the breaking and shedding except to do a big chop and sadly try to start over. My heart just hurts at the thought of this because I just knew I would be at APL by the end of 07. boo hoooooo!!!:cry3:

Here are some pics of where I was in October. Don't know where I stand now.

Henna Part II 004 LHCF.jpg

fallback

Cayenne0622 said:
I need your encouragement right now. I am sooo scared. Some of you know my story but for those who don't. My hair started shedding drastically in June 06. After many months of trying garlic shampoo, alter ego cren, essations hair mender, and many, many other products, nothing helped my shedding stop. It would slightly slow but never stopped. In October 06 I went to the dermatologist. She has me using a prescription shampoo called Nizoral. I'm so afraid of my hair that I don't do anything with it anymore. I prepoo with a protein conditioner (AO GPB), shampoo with the Nizoral and then deep condition. I detangle in the shower and put my leave in on my hair and tie it down and let it dry. From there it goes into a bun. My hair has been underprocessed during every relaxer since September 06.

Anyway, I plan to finally relax my hair straight on Monday. I'm scared to see the condition my hair is going to be in. I've had so much breakage for the last few months and I'm not sure if its from the bunning but I don't pull my hair tight and I use satin scrunchies soaked in oil when I pull it back and put on my phony pony. My hair is growing like crazy but I'm scared that once I finally see it straight that the breakage and shedding will have taken its toll and force me to cut my hair from neck length to chin length and start over. I want healthy hair but I just don't know what to do to stop the breaking and shedding except to do a big chop and sadly try to start over. My heart just hurts at the thought of this because I just knew I would be at APL by the end of 07. boo hoooooo!!!:cry3:

Here are some pics of where I was in October. Don't know where I stand now.

View attachment 3426

Cayenne...be careful with Nizoral I use to use this shampoo and it worked for a minute with my dandruff but then it began to dry my hair out and I had to stop using it.

Proudpiscean

((HUGS)) Cayenne! I remember your previous thread! It will get better, your hair looks soo beautiful & healthy in your avatar! Have you trimmed lately? Have you tried overnight oilings with amla oil I read it's supoose to help with shedding? Keep your head up it will get better.:)

balisi

Your fear and desperation are coming through loud and clear in your post and I'm sad for your situation. But honey, relax! You're worrying needlessly. Your hair might actually be in good shape. But if it's not, so what? It really would not be the end of the world, just the end of your current goal. Worrying is counterproductive, totally useless.

balisi

fallback said:
Cayenne...be careful with Nizoral I use to use this shampoo and it worked for a minute with my dandruff but then it began to dry my hair out and I had to stop using it.
This is common with dandruff shampoos. Since she's deep condiitoning afterwards it should not dry her hair out, provided she's using a moisturizing deep con.

Cayenne0622

fallback - thanks for the warning. i did notice that it was drying so i do my best just to shampoo my scalp and of course i deep, deep condition after every use and put a leave in conditioner in my hair.

amr - thanks so much. i have some amla oil and some amla powder. i try to mix a little of each in my deep conditioner. i hadn't tried the oil on my scalp overnight but i will try it tonight.

balisi - girl, your words are ringing loudly in my ears. you are 100% right. it does no good to stress over things you can't control. i'm more concerned about my hair health than i am about the length. i usually never have breakage so seeing so many broken hair during my wash is bothering me a lot. i don't even know if i will be able to cut my hair even because the breakage is in every length...super short strands, medium strands, long strands. i'll be strong, sistah!:eyebrows2

Cayenne0622

balisi said:
This is common with dandruff shampoos. Since she's deep condiitoning afterwards it should not dry her hair out, provided she's using a moisturizing deep con.

I used ors replenishing pack yesterday because of the ladies' praise over that product here on LHCF. Prior to that I had been using Elasta QP DPR11 with honey and evoo or a cholesterol treatment with some essential oils. I also have used henna. I haven't used it since my last relaxer attempt because I believe that it is coating my hair strands and preventing me from getting my hair as straight as I want it. I could be wrong though. My hair in my first post was what my hair looked like after my last henna treatment. I love it. Makes my hair strong! I will do another one a week after my relaxer.

Bosslady1

Can you weave/braid it up? (to give your hair a rest)
How often do you perm you hair?

...I hope it gets better!

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hey Cayenne!

I agree with Balisi. Girl.... from personal experience... don't freak out about your hair. I did because my grass was doing the same thing. I was soooo scared thinking that I was going to have to cut it all off. But here's the kicker.... my hair was healthy. It just didn't look it. There were no splits at all and the breakage only came when I manipulated it. I had been literally hacking away with scissors thinking I needed a trim when in reality my hair was just unbalanced moisture/protein. Too much moisture made my hair frizz and break.... too much protein made it strong but dry, wiry, and at times brittle. I've been experimenting with mixing conditioners and one time I hit the jackpot..... my hair was strong, soft, and shiny..... but hella poofy so I had to break out a flat iron (first time in a year). I put LeKair's cholesterol, crisco (folks may laugh but it worked for me), olive oil, black castor oil, a squirt of humectress, and other conditioners and sat under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap for two hours (I was reading a really good book and forgot about the time.) It was great. I was a greasy mess until I washed it out but it made a big difference in my hair. I had no breakage and only lost ten strands (detangled while wet and out of the shower.) I air dried then used a heat protectant when I flat ironed. I was very satisfied.

Find out what your hair likes, deep condition, put your grass up, and leave it alone! :look: ;)

BTW your hair is beautiful. I love all of these henna heads but I'm still skurred. lol

sexyaqr

Hang in there, girl. Let me tell you a little something. My hair sheds alot also. At first I use to really worry but now I just dont. My shedding however is seasonal. I shed like cray during the winter( approx 4 months) and also if I bun too much. My hair loves being free.

So, just hang in there. From your avatar your hair looks pretty.

angie10

Hey cayenne, I actually feel really sad reading your post. I agree with the other posters, try not to stress at this point. Your hair might not be as bad or even bad. I wasn't sure if you said the shedding slowed down or not, but don't worry so much about your length. Your hair will be fine, maybe you can post pics after the relaxer.

favorc

I'm sorry about your situation.:( Did you get your thyroid checked? Anyway try not to stress so much about it. I think we all go through a period when our hair is not at its best.
Try not to mess with your hair to much. I also found out that less product on my hair is actually helpful. Your hair looks pretty to me anyway in your pic:grin:

Cayenne0622

Thanks for your responses, everybody. My hair in my original post was right after a henna treatment. It was wonderful! I was still shedding but my hair felt thick and like silk! I wear it in a bun everyday. I'm scared to try braids because of the pulling that has to happen and I don't want anything to pull at my hair because of the shedding. I do plan to get a half wig so that I'm not always bunning and my hair can be a little free. My thyroid and iron and all of that has been checked. Here is my plan for 2007. Relaxer --> major cut (if needed), if not then a light trim --> henna treatment one week after relaxer --> if my shedding has stopped then I plan to get twists with extensions, (Mslala has some pretty ones in her fotki but I believe its all her hair). If my hair is still shedding then I'm going to rotate bunning and doing the half wig/fall thing until it stops. I also plan to go to a place here in Houston called the hair clinic because this much shedding for this long is abnormal. I just KNEW it would be over by Christmas. I'm not sure if the shedding I'm seeing right now is the same ol' crap I've been dealing with or if its because I need a relaxer. That's why I'm basing all my decisions on what my hair will look like after the relaxer.

I thank you all for your well wishes and your tips.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Aww sweetie, you will be ok. Its only hair (yeah, I know) and it WILL grow back. Are you sure you want to perm right now? How do you think your hair will hold up to the process? Are you able to put it off another month or so? Just putting it out there. Either way I think you will be fine so don't be too scared ok? Post as soon as you are able to give us the status. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and that it wont be as bad as you are thinking.

Cayenne0622

*Bre~Bre* said:
Aww sweetie, you will be ok. Its only hair (yeah, I know) and it WILL grow back. Are you sure you want to perm right now? How do you think your hair will hold up to the process? Are you able to put it off another month or so? Just putting it out there. Either way I think you will be fine so don't be too scared ok? Post as soon as you are able to give us the status. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and that it wont be as bad as you are thinking.

Thanks Bre. I think I have to go ahead and relax it. Its been 6 weeks since my last attempt but I was underprocessed the last time and a couple of more times before that so my hair is wayyyyyyyyyy overdue. I just want to see if the shedding I'm having now is from lack of a relaxer or if its the anxiety related shedding still. I only lose hair on wash days because that is the only time I manipulate it at all. I think I'm getting just as much, if not more, breakage as I am getting shedding. That floors me but at least I know that can be fixed. I will definitely post pics after I relax. Goodness! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. lol