I'm new and I want to start from scratch...

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
:grin:Hi there! I'm new and I want to start from scratch; like bald. Which isn't saying alot because at the moment, 3/4 of my hair is bald with loooong hair at the top (think Rhianna) I know it's just a matter of shaving that final 1/4 of my head, but I'm holding on for dear life. Has anybody ever done this? How did it work out for you? Were you scared? Howa was the growth? My hair grows...IDK, normally I guess. I've never paid attention to it before. lol. I want to go natural and just let it start fresh. Any help/tips/encouragement would be great. Thanks!

I have never shaved my head but i wanted to say hi & welcome!!!! :)
I'm sure more ladies will chime in.

LOL, thanks guys! I think I have a date of January 1st, 2011 as by big shave date...fresh year, fresh start kind of thing.

If you're going to do it, do it now -- and you'll have four month's worth of new hair by Jan 1 2011!!

Good luck on your hair journey!

I grew my hair from nape length to bra stap. Then I lost it to a rare cancer. I was left with two large bald spots and the rest of my hair was only 1/2 inch long.

It started growing back in 2008. So I am on my hair re-quest.

So if you are bald, have short hair or long flowing locks...welcome.

This is a great place to be.

I didn't go ALL bald, but I had like 1/2 inch of hair

I loved it! It was SO liberating and easy. I encourage you to try it, since you're already rocking a short cut anyway - go for it!!! :yep:

Attachments

• BC.jpg
    BC.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 14
I didn't go ALL bald, but I had like 1/2 inch of hair

I loved it! It was SO liberating and easy. I encourage you to try it, since you're already rocking a short cut anyway - go for it!!! :yep:

How long did it take you to get to where you are now? Beautiful hair, BTW:grin:

Welcome!

err I considered that once upon a time. I did start chopping but I couldn't go through with it lol. So... I'd advise you to just clip back that long hair, see how it feels not having it and make your decision based on that.

You can keep it, I don't think it'll affect the growth of your hair. But then again I'm a newbie I'm still learning.... lol

:grin:Hi there! I'm new and I want to start from scratch; like bald. Which isn't saying alot because at the moment, 3/4 of my hair is bald with loooong hair at the top (think Rhianna) I know it's just a matter of shaving that final 1/4 of my head, but I'm holding on for dear life. Has anybody ever done this? How did it work out for you? Were you scared? Howa was the growth? My hair grows...IDK, normally I guess. I've never paid attention to it before. lol. I want to go natural and just let it start fresh. Any help/tips/encouragement would be great. Thanks!

I too took the clippers to my head around the holidays in 2008. I had overprocessed with relaxers and really needed to start fresh. I loooooved the feel of washing my short, short cut (less than 1/4 of an inch), but wore it under wigs for a year then went to braids. I'd shaved off the back half of my hair before (stylist used too strong of a relaxer) and my hair was SL within a year. But this time the growth seems slower, I realized that I wasn't retaining as much as possible because I wasn't properly caring for my hair underneath the wig...thinking that it was so short that I didn't need to do much. Now I'm over 1 1/2 year post BC and I think I'm close to SL again. And I think my hair grows on average about 1/4 of an inch per month some months maybe a little more.

I agree with the above poster who said do it now if that's what you're planning to do. Why wait?

First of all, welcome!

Personally, I think that if you were able to rock a short 'do, then you can rock a baldie no problem. Mind you, I've balded my head numerous times, so for me it's not really a big deal. Anyways good luck, and as for advice/tips, I think you'll learn thing as you go along. And going bald will give you time to do some research. It'll be fun haha

How long did it take you to get to where you are now? Beautiful hair, BTW:grin:

Thank you!

Well I had QUITE a journey. When I BC'ed I didn't know anything about natural hair and all that, so I just did whatever I felt like doing. I colored A LOT and ended up having to grow all of the color out and try to get my hair back to a healthy state (which is when I found LHCF). But from that pic to this pic attached, I'd say it was about 3 years - and this is with no knowledge of natural hair/moisture/protien/protective styles - nothing. So if I knew then what I know now, it probably would have been even better!

I wish I had more to show you, but I wasn't really tracking progress back then. It didn't take long to go from TWA to SL though - I'd say about a year and a half maybe.

Attachments

• 2 - godmom.JPG
    2 - godmom.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks you guys! I guess I just want to wait because I like my hair cut now and it's relaxed at the top and I always like to start something new in 2011; like January 1st is always a big deal in my life, I always do some major life change. But I ay just go ahead and do it now! Thanks for all the love!

I grew my hair from nape length to bra stap. Then I lost it to a rare cancer. I was left with two large bald spots and the rest of my hair was only 1/2 inch long.

It started growing back in 2008. So I am on my hair re-quest.

So if you are bald, have short hair or long flowing locks...welcome.

This is a great place to be.

I know, having a Great Aunt who passed away from very aggresive breast cancer, that saying "I'm sorry you have cancer" isn't always the best thing to say, so I'll just say to you, what I said to her-everyday: "I am so proud you are fighting and I hope you know you aren't fighting alone."

And I know your hair is growing back beautifully.:grin:

I did it back in 2005 except I wasn't bald. I had less than 1/2 an inch of tight beady-beads all over my head. I wasn't really scared. My growth was pretty good.

I have never been bald or close to it but interestingly, I just saw a young lady in Publix ( a local grocery store) who was bald but it looked SO good on her!

I also want to say :welcome: :newbie:...Keep us posted whatever you decide to do and we like pictures here, lol!

Welcome to the forum!!

We were actually just talking about this yesterday, in a different thread of course. :grin: But anyway, I mentioned that yes, I've cut all my hair off at least once in my life. Last year actually! I think it was toward the beginning of the year. Long story short, I hid my bald head beneath a wig. Let it be for a few months and then relaxed it again. This year I decided to go natural for good and so I chopped my hair again, this time down to about half an inch.

Here's what it looked like.
me1-vi.jpg

100_0532-vi.jpg

My hair grows half an inch per month. I measured it myself! :yep: Here's what it looked like six months later. (About two weeks ago)
100_1339-vi.jpg
100_1302.jpg

The difference is not dramatic by any means, but you can definitely see the difference.

I didn't regret cutting my hair off either time I did it but not everyone is the same. I believe that if you really sit down and think about it, in your heart of hearts, you'll know what to do. :yep:

Back