Im confused about trimming of my hair! Help me!

Lilmama1011

I was always the type that trimmed for evenness regardless If I had split ends or not, I just don't like uneven looking hair. I'm not a slow grower but because I trimmed for evenness I never so saw progress. It seems my hair hair stays the same darn length which is shoulder length when curly at the ends and just hitting collar bone when straighter. Now I decides to just trim every three months so of course my hair has grown and no it didn't grow even so it looks to someone who doesn't know hair damaged because my ends aren't as blunt. Now every time when I go to the beautician that does my color she telling me, " you need your ends trimmed" I have ignored her for a couple of weeks, I go get a touch up today and she like next time I'm going to trim because you need it. But when I look at my hair in good light it's not split it's just uneven. And I feel she will mess up my progress and I will be back at square one and my hair is getting longer just it's not even. So I wanted to know do you trim for even hair or when you just see split ends? And 9/10 chance I'm going to trim it myself, I don't got time for scissor happy people. I have a feeling it will end up to my chin or just above it. She has never cut my hair before I just strictly go to her for color. But now I feel pressured to trim ASAP but I promised myself to do it in June. So what's your schedule for trimming and like I said before do you trim for evenness or health? Thanks I really am confused when to do it

Lilmama1011

And then again some people say keep up with regular trims, every six weeks but then some say it's too often

Nonie

@Lilmama1011, this topic seems to come up every week. Everyone has a different opinion on trimming. I don't WAIT TO SEE SPLITS coz that's too late. *I* trim on a schedule. I don't trim my hair to even it up. I have it in many tiny twists, I snip off the same amount from the ends of the twists every 8 weeks like clockwork. My hair doesn't fall to the same length and I don't care about that. I care about having ends that will not cost my length by breaking off because they are torn and ragged. I cut the splits before they become visible so I can take off a little and thus stop more damage.

People keep talking about holding hair to light to see splits, and I just shake my head coz splits don't just become VISIBLE from nothing. They start so small.... Why wait till you can see them. They will ALWAYS be there. Question is, do you believe in prevention or cure. Cure means cutting off big chunks coz damage has happened. Prevention is keeping the damage so little that my hair has a chance to grow long coz I keep it strong from by cutting off weak ends when they are tiny.

When your stylist says your hair needs trimming it may not be coz you have thin ends. When hair splits, it tears away leaving thin ends. Thin ends are see through and may not look split coz half of the fork is gone. So you may look and think you're OK...but thin ends when the rest of the hair is thick is a sign of wearing away aka split and bust.

Ronnieaj

I trim approximately a quarter to half inch every 10 weeks. I just trimmed last Saturday, as a matter of fact. My hair doesn't GROW evenly, or at the same rate, so if I trim the same amount of hair throughout, I'll end up with a V shape. I know this because I got a blunt cut in 2009 and in 2010 it was a V, which is when I realized that my hair simply doesn't grow evenly. If I keep getting the middle cut back to the same length as the sides, I will NEVER see progress. That said, being natural means that I can better hide the length disparity because of the shrinkage my hair gets.

So, to answer your question :look:, I trim for health on a regular schedule, and don't particularly care whether the ends are blunt. When I finally straighten my hair sometime next year, I'll get it evened up into a nice V shape.

Lilmama1011

Ronnieaj said:
I trim approximately a quarter to half inch every 10 weeks. I just trimmed last Saturday, as a matter of fact. My hair doesn't GROW evenly, or at the same rate, so if I trim the same amount of hair throughout, I'll end up with a V shape. I know this because I got a blunt cut in 2009 and in 2010 it was a V, which is when I realized that my hair simply doesn't grow evenly. If I keep getting the middle cut back to the same length as the sides, I will NEVER see progress. That said, being natural means that I can better hide the length disparity because of the shrinkage my hair gets.

So, to answer your question :look:, I trim for health on a regular schedule, and don't particularly care whether the ends are blunt. When I finally straighten my hair sometime next year, I'll get it evened up into a nice V shape.

With your scheduled trims do you see progress?

regina07

My hair doesn't grow evenly and I don't worry about it because I usually wear my hair in a bun or twists.

I trim once a quarter, taking off 1/4-1/2" each time. My hair is prone to SSK and spliting whether I trim tho'.

WaistLengthDreams

I trim for splits throughout the year using the search and destroy method. And I trim for evenness once a year typically in December. Once I reach my goal length, I'll likely trim 2 to 3 times a year for evenness.

When my hair is not in a bun, I wear slightly curled/wavy styles that don't require blunt ends. And they conceal the little bit of unevenness that may be there.

Lilmama1011

IntheMix08 said:
I trim for splits throughout the year using the search and destroy method. And I trim for evenness once a year typically in December. Once I reach my goal length, I'll likely trim 2 to 3 times a year for evenness.

When my hair is not in a bun, I wear slightly curled/wavy styles that don't require blunt ends. And they conceal the little bit of unevenness that may be there.

Thanks, that sounds like a plan :)