Poll: Self-Trimming -- What's your method?

How do you Self-Trim?

• Search and Destroy

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Section hair and bring to the front, snip

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Section hair and extend away from the head, snip

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Snip the ends of my ponytail, braids, twists, etc.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Comb hair down without sectioning and cut until it's even

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • No particular method. I just go for it.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CAPlush

I need to trim my hair, but only in the front (from the crown forward). My primary goal in trimming the hair is to rid the section of split ends. I do not want to lose any length, even up the hair, or change the appearance. The ends look smooth, but on closer examination there are many split ends. Depending on what type of trim or cut you get, often the front temple area, crown area, and bang area are totally missed and I do not believe this part of my hair has been trimmed in ages. I need to get together some ideas of what is the best method.

ravenmerlita

I search and destroy splits. I usually take a small section of hair, hold it in front of a magnifying mirror and snip off any splits that I see. Then I twist the section one way, snip off any more then twist it back the other way and snip off any remaining. This works pretty well for me.

honeybadgirl

i just started trimming my own hair and i just section my hair when i'm flat ironing it. after i run the iron over it i trim that section.:look:

IMFOCSD

Hi:wave:

I just trimmed my hair a couple of days ago. I put 12 braids in my hair but i did not braid all the way to the end. I put 3 in the back, 3 in the middle, 2 in the top, 1 on each side and 2 in the front for my bang and trimmed the raggedy ends. I will do it this way from now on.

AKA-Tude

I ususally just take a section of hair as if I'm flat ironing or curling it & snip the very ends.

It's amazing how that little bit makes such a difference in overall look of the hair.

hottopic

AKA-Tude said:
I ususally just take a section of hair as if I'm flat ironing or curling it & snip the very ends.

It's amazing how that little bit makes such a difference in overall look of the hair.

I trim after a flat iron as well. I try to do this at least once every 3-5 months. I am trying my hardest not to do too much until the end of the year.

KnottyGurl

This is exactly what I do. I'm not left with uneven, jagged ends and all of my hair receives the exact same attention to detail.

OT: SweetCoco, you and Kelly from Destiny's Child look just alike!

AKA-Tude said:

WesternEyes

Usually i just flat iron my hair and comb it down with a part in my hair, then trim all around until even. Sometimes it's not that easy though and requires section trimming.

LoveLiLi

I chose the second option, but I actually do #2 and #3. I'm growing out some layers, so there are shorter sections that I pull up and trim.

Babygurl

I actually use 2 of the methods mentioned...I use search and destroy for split ends and I put my hair in a very low ponytail and snip the end of the ponytail for eveness.

MuslimahTresses

Babygurl said:
I actually use 2 of the methods mentioned...I use search and destroy for split ends and I put my hair in a very low ponytail and snip the end of the ponytail for eveness.

I can't wait for your update. You are my hair idol :) . When I get ready to trim I think I'll use your method.

GoldenBreeze

I make a part from ear to ear. The back I put in a low pony, and even it up. The front I part in the center and combed to the sides, then I trim both sides. I remove the barette from the back, and comb the hair together so that only the front part remains. Then I check it all to see if it is even. If it is, then I comb it all straight back and check for evenness again. I hope this makes sense. It's easier to do than to describe. :)