I'm A Bad Girl-I Used A Blowdryer Yesterday-Now I Remember Why I Don't Blowdry/fry

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I should've done my hair Friday night. I had a wedding to go to Saturday and I waited too late to do my hair. I blow dried! I wasn't unhappy with the results at all, but the process was not cute. If this happens to me again and I'm in a time crunch I will do a wet/semi-wet bun OR I will sit my behind under the hooded dryer for a bit and then flat iron. (lesser of 2 evils)

I haven't used the blowdryer in about 2-3 years. But yesterday, I used my "ionic" blowdryer. Whatever--it gets as hot as those other ones. I like to use a paddle brush when blowdrying and that's probably what makes it so bad. I mean the heat itself isn't good, but pulling a brush through your hair while directing heat on to it is just the devil. :nono: I had hair all over the place. This was when I remembered why I don't blowdry! After that I used my Hot Tools Ceramic Tourmaline curling iron :love: to flat iron my hair and curl my ends.

My hair came out nice--I took pics (last 4 in my album). But the most important thing that I learned is that I can pretty much get this same look by air drying. I haven't always been able to air dry my hair smoothly, but with trial and error and years of practice--I've kind of got it going on now in the air drying department.

I've just adopted a new slogan: "Friends don't let friends blowdry!" :D
(wouldn't that be cute on our LHCF keychain/bracelet?)

Last edited:

MizaniMami

Supergirl said:
I should've done my hair Friday night. I had a wedding to go to Saturday and I waited too late to do my hair. I blow dried! I wasn't unhappy with the results at all, but the process was not cute. If this happens to me again and I'm in a time crunch I will do a wet/semi-wet bun OR I will sit my behind under the hooded dryer for a bit and then flat iron. (lesser of 2 evils)

I haven't used the blowdryer in about 2-3 years. I used my "ionic" blowdryer. Whatever--it gets as hot as those other ones. I like to use a paddle brush when blowdrying and that's probably what makes it so bad. I mean the heat itself isn't good, but pulling a brush through your hair while directing heat on to it is just the devil. :nono: I had hair all over the place. This was when I remembered why I don't blowdry! After that I used my Hot Tools Ceramic Tourmaline curling iron :love: to flat iron my hair and curl my ends.

My hair came out nice--I took pics (last 4 in my album). But the most important thing that I learned is that I can pretty much get this same look by air drying. I haven't always been able to air dry my hair smoothly, but with trail and error and years of practice--I've kind of got it going on now in the air drying department.

I've just adopted a new slogan: "Friends don't let friends blowdry!" :D
(wouldn't that be cute on our LHCF keychain/bracelet?)

Lol! I love that quote. It's okay Supergirl. Your hair is so healthy that it probably ate up that blowdrying!

Denim And Leather

Co-sign with MizaniMami. Since it's been 3 years since you've blowdried your hair, using it just this once won't hurt. Now if this becomes a habit, then you'll be in trouble! :spank: :lol:

tenderheaded

Blowdryers are sneaky, seductive. They call to you when your hair is dripping wet - "come to me and I'll set you free". It's a trap - RUN!

You have fabulous hair. In the future make sure you can't hear the blowfryer's siren song:)

Robin D. Groover

The best blow dryer and technique!

The Chi blowdryer is the best according to the Wall Street Journal in 2003! They were absoblutely correct. As a stylist I said I did have time to blow dry and it was not healthy. As time progressed and technology advanced a revolution began. I was introduced to this new ionic technology in 1998. I began researching and developing a technique called Ceramic Fusion by RDG.

The blow dryer infuses moisture and dries inside out, never disturbing the cuticle(outside layer) while protecting and nourishing the inside layers!!!!!! Wow! I was amazed. My clients hair started moving, bouncing and shinning like superstars. The hair's integrity improved up to 50% in a 2 - 3 month period.

Blow Dryers are not created equally!

Tools Needed:
  • Chi Blow Dryer
  • Wide Tooth Comb
  • Denman Rubber Brush or Comb Attachment
  • Rat tail Comb
  • Clips
Blow Dry Technique by RDG

1. Shampoo with a cleansing shampoo
  2. Shampoo with a balancing shampoo (hydrate, color, volume etc.)
  3. Condition with balancing conditioner
  4. Rinse, rinse, and rinse again
  5. Apply leave in conditioner (Spray for weightless finish)
  6. If your hair holds a lot of water sit under hood dryer or air dry by 50-60% before using blow dryer
  7. Part hair in four sections for control. Seperate with clips
  8. Begin with section one by removing 10% of water with a back and forth motion
  9. Begin hair to tool contact moving in a downward motion, laying down the cuticle
  10. Proceed until drying all four sections
  11. Blend in all sections smoothing until hair begins to shine.
  12. Ceramic Irons are recommended for thermal heat styling.
  13. ( Do not use any products except leave in conditioner for best weightless results.)

firecracker

Robin thanks for that wealth of knowledge. A visit to your salon is going to be my bday present this year. I don't think I can wait til Sept though:grin:

I am saving those instructions for the next time I decide to get my natural hair flatironed.

lala

Supergirl,

I saw your pics and your hair turned out nice. However, I know what you mean with "the hair all over the place" after blowdrying. That's why I usually sit under a hooded dryer for a bit, before I blowdry, and I don't use the paddle brush - I just hold my hair in sections and run the dryer up and down the length. I only do this when I wait too late before an event and run out of time. My hair does not like the blowdryer either. I was curious about the ionic dryers, but it sounds as if the claims may not be all that accurate...

ChocoKitty

Re: The best blow dryer and technique!

Robin D. Groover said:
The Chi blowdryer is the best according to the Wall Street Journal in 2003! They were absoblutely correct. As a stylist I said I did have time to blow dry and it was not healthy. As time progressed and technology advanced a revolution began. I was introduced to this new ionic technology in 1998. I began researching and developing a technique called Ceramic Fusion by RDG.

The blow dryer infuses moisture and dries inside out, never disturbing the cuticle(outside layer) while protecting and nourishing the inside layers!!!!!! Wow! I was amazed. My clients hair started moving, bouncing and shinning like superstars. The hair's integrity improved up to 50% in a 2 - 3 month period.

Tools Needed:
  • Chi Blow Dryer
  • Wide Tooth Comb
  • Rat tail Comb
  • Clips

6. If your hair holds a lot of water sit under hood dryer or air dry by 50-60% before using blow dryer
  9. Begin hair to tool contact moving in a downward motion, laying down the cuticle
  13. ( Do not use any products except leave in conditioner for best weightless results.)

:yep: This is exactly what I do! I just went back to using Infusium as my leave-in.

jasmin

Good tips Robin.

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. It was awful. I said I would try to never do that again. Maybe when I can afford a CHI I will.

goldensensation

Blowdryers are VERY evil... but mine is an 11 yr old Golden Hot with tape around the barrel. lol.

I'm sure your hair will be fine, supergirl. The funny thing with me is that I am most tempted to use a blowdryer when my hair is at its weakest- right after a relaxer (so that I can see my progress). :lol:

Southernbella.

Re: I'm A Bad Girl-I Used A Blowdryer Yesterday-Now I Remember Why I Don't Blowdry/fr

Wow, your hair still looks fabulous! But I know what you mean about the hair coming out. It may even be that you lose what you would have lost anyway because of all that pulling and blowing, but it still seems like you're losing a lot.

MissYocairis

**running back in the thread from SG's fotki out of breath, gasping for air and yelling**:yay: :love: :clapping:

:orders: I just came from your fotki and you are my HAIR IDOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Southernbella.

Re: I'm A Bad Girl-I Used A Blowdryer Yesterday-Now I Remember Why I Don't Blowdry/fr

SG, out of curiosity, how do people in real life react to your hair? I have to admit, I would stare. In admiration, of course. :D

MissYocairis

lauren450 said:
SG, out of curiosity, how do people in real life react to your hair? I have to admit, I would stare. In admiration, of course. :D

Excellent question. I am wondering the same thing. The first thing I thought when I saw the pics of her blown dry hair for the wedding was..."I wonder how others reacted when she walked in with that amazing hair!"

Sarafina

Robin D. Groover said:

That's funny you posted this. I was just looking at the CHI blow dryer @folica. I was remembering how nice my hair came out when I used the Hot Tools Ionic Ceramic Dryer. Now I have Conair's Infiniti dryer and its a piece of shiznit compared to my Hot Tools. I'd like to try the CHi but its' $ 143.00!! :eek::eek::eek:

peacelove

My stylist uses this method almost exclusively. I would be worried if it were not for the fact that everyone in the salon has wonderful hair, a number of them long hair. :grin: I lose almost no hairs. I don't know if I am going to stick to doing this (I would be drying 2x a month) but I love the results for now. :) We'll see how if it hinders my growth, though.

Allandra

Girl, it sounds like you had a blow dryer nightmare. :eek:

My sister-in-law (she's a cosmetologist) blow dries my hair from time-to-time. She uses a Denman brush, and my hair feels like silk and looks so nice and straight. I can't airdry straight because I don't get my hair relaxed bone straight.

I know the blow dryer isn't everyone's friend.

Allandra

tenderheaded said:
Blowdryers are sneaky, seductive. They call to you when your hair is dripping wet - "come to me and I'll set you free". It's a trap - RUN!

You have fabulous hair. In the future make sure you can't hear the blowfryer's siren song:)
I would never get my hair blown dry while it's dripping wet. :nono:

Last edited:

Allandra

Robin D. Groover said:
  1. This is exactly what my sister-in-law does when she blow dries my hair. I can't figure out how/or even why some people blow dry wet/very wet hair. :nono:

CarLiTa

Thanks for the tips Robin!

and I feel you, supergirl, whenever i do decide to use heat on my hair myself, hair is all over the place! and i'm like, that's precisely why I don't like to use it! but sometimes we forget.

i wondering if it's even necessary for me to get a blowdrier anymore in college. maybe because of the cold weather, I should get one just in case, since airdrying and snow or whatever, wouldn't go so well together.

jasmin

CantBeCopied said:
Excellent question. I am wondering the same thing. The first thing I thought when I saw the pics of her blown dry hair for the wedding was..."I wonder how others reacted when she walked in with that amazing hair!"

:lol: me too.

When I see ladies with long hair I just say to myself 'nice hair'. I think I'm use to seeing long hair being on this board. However...I'm sure there are tons of women who have not and would flip.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

lauren450 said:

Well, I do get lots of stares. The stares from people outside of our race are not as intense. I do remember once I was in the grocery store line and a Hispanic woman was behind me with her child. She said something in Spanish and I understood Spanish well enough to understand the words "long" and "hair."

From black men, I get stares of admiration. I've even been stopped and sincerely complimented by a few black men. (not complimenting because they were trying to holla!) One guy even went as far as to beg me not to ever cut my hair. He said his wife had just cut her hair and she looked like a chicken and he was so mad. He was venting. :lol:

Now, the stares from the sistas--maybe I'm just paranoid but they are usually long stares, like "trying to figure out if you have a weave" stares. Some of the stares are "I hope that's not all her hair" stares as if it WOULD be better if it were a weave.

My friends, of course, are very complimentary.

HoneyDew

Supergirl said:
Well, I do get lots of stares. The stares from people outside of our race are not as intense. I do remember once I was in the grocery store line and a Hispanic woman was behind me with her child. She said something in Spanish and I understood Spanish well enough to understand the words "long" and "hair."

From black men, I get stares of admiration. I've even been stopped and sincerely complimented by a few black men. (not complimenting because they were trying to holla!) One guy even went as far as to beg me not to ever cut my hair. He said his wife had just cut her hair and she looked like a chicken and he was so mad. He was venting. :lol:

Now, the stares from the sistas--maybe I'm just paranoid but they are usually long stares, like "trying to figure out if you have a weave" stares. Some of the stares are "I hope that's not all her hair" stares as if it WOULD be better if it were a weave.

My friends, of course, are very complimentary.

Haters!!! Girl your hair is so beautiful. I love looking at your albums.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Allandra said:
I would never get my hair blown dry while it's dripping wet. :nono:

I air dried for about 3 hours first. ('cause that was all the time I had!)

Allandra

Supergirl said:
I air dried for about 3 hours first. ('cause that was all the time I had!)
Girl, you're good because I would have had a wet bun for sure. ;) I do own a blow dryer, but it's been stored away for the longest. Thank goodness my sister-in-law is a cosmetologist.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

HoneyDew said:
Haters!!! Girl your hair is so beautiful. I love looking at your albums.

Thank YOU! I love your tag line "NEVER BLOWDRYING AGAIN"
I need to send my blowdryer to the grave, but now Robin has tempted me by talking about this CHI blowdryer...

lexi08

The Chi Dryer does sound promising. I have been doing some investigating on Folica.com :sekret:

peacelove

I think this is the dryer my stylist has. I must check. Does it have a blue glowing thing on it? Hmm. I am getting worried now. I don't want to thwart my growth with this drying 2x a month. I just felt that my cuticles felt more sealed than they ever have in the past with the dry and chi iron method. My hair is pourus, so I look for things that can seal the cuticle well. What do you all think?

Robin D. Groover said:

Tools Needed:
  • Chi Blow Dryer
  • Wide Tooth Comb
  • Rat tail Comb
  • Clips