If your area has hard water....

Songbirdb

So if your area has hard water, are you harming your hair by washing and everything else that involves water. Basically, I read that hard water causes split ends (is this true?) and its not healthy for your hair.... so are you stunting yout hairs full potential by maybe co washing daily or washing daily or every other day? I can't buy a shower filter because I live at my boyfriends parents house and they have a shower head that they love already.... so I plan on getting one once I move but until then, what should I do? Should I wash less often? Are there some products I should use to combat this? I'm at a loss right now because I don't want to ruin my hair.

almondjoi85

I have hard water where I live, I actually tested it so I know its hard for sure....I've been living there for years (over 10 years) and I haven't really had any problems regarding the hard water and my hair. Maybe I'm just so used to it now or something...hard water immune! haha

Songbirdb

I have hard water where I live, I actually tested it so I know its hard for sure....I've been living there for years (over 10 years) and I haven't really had any problems regarding the hard water and my hair. Maybe I'm just so used to it now or something...hard water immune! haha

I guess you're right. I guess I'm concerned cuz I haven't had long hair since I was a kid (I lived in a diff area with good water).

HoneyDew

I just use a chelating shampoo with every wash. Actually you don't really need that if your shampoos has an EDTA (chelator) in the ingredient list.

By the way, filters do nothing for my hard water.

laCriolla

So if your area has hard water, are you harming your hair by washing and everything else that involves water. Basically, I read that hard water causes split ends (is this true?) and its not healthy for your hair.... so are you stunting yout hairs full potential by maybe co washing daily or washing daily or every other day? I can't buy a shower filter because I live at my boyfriends parents house and they have a shower head that they love already.... so I plan on getting one once I move but until then, what should I do? Should I wash less often? Are there some products I should use to combat this? I'm at a loss right now because I don't want to ruin my hair.

do the final rinse (rinse out the conditioner) with a gallon of bottled water from the store (the $1/gallon kind). I did that in college when the water was horrible.

$1 once a week is worth it. if you get good at it you can do the whole wash and rinse with the gallon!

locabouthair

do the final rinse (rinse out the conditioner) with a gallon of bottled water from the store (the $1/gallon kind). I did that in college when the water was horrible.

$1 once a week is worth it. if you get good at it you can do the whole wash and rinse with the gallon!

should you only use the bottled water for the final rinse only? I was going to use the distilled water for the whole wash.

OP, I just found out that I have hard water. My hair is always dry and rough, especially right after I wash it and I couldnt figure out why. No matter what deep conditioner I tried my hair always felt dry. I couldnt understand when people said that DC made their hair moist because I NEVER get that. Now I know it's because of the water, plus my hair looks soooooooo dry. It's embarrassing.:ohwell:

I bought ORS creamy shampoo. It's supposed to remove calcium buildup from the water. and I will use distilled water until I can get a water softener.

Songbirdb

I just use a chelating shampoo with every wash. Actually you don't really need that if your shampoos has an EDTA (chelator) in the ingredient list.

By the way, filters do nothing for my hard water.

really, thats scary to know. I would hate to pay all that money for a filter and it don't even work. do you know any examples of edta poos?

Songbirdb

should you only use the bottled water for the final rinse only? I was going to use the distilled water for the whole wash.

OP, I just found out that I have hard water. My hair is always dry and rough, especially right after I wash it and I couldnt figure out why. No matter what deep conditioner I tried my hair always felt dry. I couldnt understand when people said that DC made their hair moist because I NEVER get that. Now I know it's because of the water, plus my hair looks soooooooo dry. It's embarrassing.:ohwell:

I bought ORS creamy shampoo. It's supposed to remove calcium buildup from the water. and I will use distilled water until I can get a water softener.

how does a water softener work? what is it?

HoneyDew

really, thats scary to know. I would hate to pay all that money for a filter and it don't even work. do you know any examples of edta poos?

most of them do actually contain edta. even some conditioners do. Check your the ingredients on your bottles.

I do use Kenra Chelating or Abba Detox on my hair weekly, though.