I will never be Bra Strap lenght

laurend

I will never be Bra Strap length

:mad: My bra strap starts about 5 to 6 inches below my shoulder blades and it would take a long time for me to be that length if ever. I have natural hair and when I stretch it, it reaches around my shoulder blades. So when I read about the the bsl challenge I know that I should not enter because it would be very frustrating. Does anyone else have that problem and where does your bra strap hit on your body?

Last edited:

dlewis

Don't be discourage. One thing about hair is that it will grow. You will get there sooner or latter.

I'm relaxed but my bra starts at about the same location.

preciousjewel76

dlewis said:
Don't be discourage. One thing about hair is that it will grow. You will get there sooner or latter.

I'm relaxed but my bra starts at about the same location.

I'm not anywhere close to BSL, but I agree with dlewis. Don't get discouraged! It will happen in time. Just take care of your hair the best way you know how and you'll get there!:D

P.S. - I'm about 7 inches away from BSL, but I know I can get there by the end of 2008.:)

CAPlush

You can get there! It will take about a year if you have average growth, but even if you have slow growth or trim regularly it should only take around 18 months. I think a lot of naturals use C&G (crown and glory) technique to grow out the hair. Have you thought about braids?

laurend

Re: I will never be Bra Strap length

I'm starting to wear twists and do the baggie method for three weeks at a time - I hate it because twists do nothing for me, I usually wear twistouts. I'm sacrificing looks for longer hair. I will be patient and take your advice to heart.

mscocoface

Re: I will never be Bra Strap length

laurend said:
I'm starting to wear twists and do the baggie method for three weeks at a time - I hate it because twists do nothing for me, I usually wear twistouts. I'm sacrificing looks for longer hair. I will be patient and take your advice to heart.

Don't be discouraged.

Look at my siggy. I did this from Dec. 05 to April '07. I was sooo impatient in the beginning I was slapping everything in my hair that I could think of and then some. Then I had to have surgery and for 3 months I did nothing practically to my hair, guess what it still grew. I did not think I would see the length I have until 3-4 years from now.

Keep doing what you are doing. We all go throw ups and downs that is just a part of having natural hair. Every single woman on this board with natural hair and relaxed will probably tell you the same thing. It is part of the process. Sort of like when you were young and wanted to be an adult because you were tired of being young. Trust me, it will get there. Focus on something else or maybe find someone you can mentor. I promise you one day you will see a thread like this and have to give advice and even smile because you have been there and know what they are feeling.

Hang in there. It is a journey with twists and turns, hills and valleys. Start a hair dairy book. Place all the names or pictures of folks hair you admire or their hair sites and visit them, ask them questions, etc. When I get frustrated I start focusing on other things because I know it will pass sooner or later.

You are doing fine and unfortunately what you are feeling is absolutely normal in the journey. Stay strong.

Last edited:

camellia

Hang in there! Your hair will reach brastap length and beyond if you want it to.

Your hair is growing all the time.

blazingthru

I agree with the all of these post. I want to wake up and just have long hair but then I have nothing to share I didn't grow from it. You know I have no experiences - nothing. I am learning about my hair every day. Its really truly,honestly a journey. I never thought my hair would be the length it is now. Never I just hoped. so now I am hoping for Armpit and then I will be hoping for Brastrap and so on. I have a long way to go I am not fully shoulder length I see my sides trying to catch up to my back. So today I got tired of watching my hair grow that I decided to get it braided up. Then I do not have to worry about it for a few months. I think that would be a great Ideal if you like braids to give your mind a chance to focus on something else for a while. You will get there and then you have something you can share with someone else. HHG

Kimberly

I understand. I have been feeling a bit discouraged lately myself. Especially when I see all the growth that everyone else seems to get. I have to believe that mine wil happen in it's own time if I just continue to do what I'm supposed to do. It will happen for you, too.:)

Tenejita10473

I am feeling the same way. I was close to BSL (when I had a relaxer) then I went natural and I trimmed it. I don't regret going natural tho. NO WAY. I am just trying to love my hair at this point and take the tips the ladies on this site share and in time it will happen.

WOW Trudy, Your hair grew nicely in a year.

Cichelle

Just be patient and take good care of your hair. It will grow. Try not to be discouraged. I know how it feels to want longer hair and feel like it's taking forever to get there. It's not easy to be patient, but just spend the time treating your hair well and concentrating on it being healthy.

sareca

trimbride said:
On average it should only take you a year to reach BSL stretched.

ITA. Just protect those ends and stay away from the scissors. You'll get there.

prettypuff1

I feel you heart ache. I am quite far from BSL and even apl. but i know what. My hair looks better than it did before i came here. i know that i hoped that i would go from above SL to APl in 3 months.. man please. I started using MTG like the hair would fly out of my head. But it didnt. but i am still here, growin it out working hard. As long as i feel some growth then i should be good. and you will be too :)

laurend

thanks for all the advice and encouragement because it feels like everyone is bra strap length and I'm stuck at shoulder blade length. My new focus will be on detangling my hair every two weeks and to be very gentle when I do it.

dreysonsmommy2011

laurend said:
thanks for all the advice and encouragement because it feels like everyone is bra strap length and I'm stuck at shoulder blade length. My new focus will be on detangling my hair every two weeks and to be very gentle when I do it.

Hey Laurend! I just wanted to say that it seems as though it takes forever to make it past shoulder length, but you can do it. I felt exact the same way you do now. you just have to stay focused and take care of your hair and one day you'll be looking in the mirror thinking that what you see could not possibly be your hair:eek: , you'll be in disbelief because it is all yours. Just stay focused you'll be APL before you know it;)