I use heat frequently and my hair is still growing like a weed....

MoMo

Thats definitely true in my case. I'm transitioning, so I dont have a FULL head of natural hair to work with, but I have 3+ inches of natural hair and about 3 inches of relaxed hair. My natural hair responds so well to direct heat as long as I use the correct products and temperature, but I have to be super careful and pay extra attention to the relaxed ends if I use heat on them. They will not hesitate to "leave" if they are not pleased :yep:

I would frequent this salon once every two weeks for 5 years and I have seen some of the most amazing growth from naturals who faithfully straightened once or every two weeks.

spelmanlocks

My hair hates heat also. When I was natural I used to press my hair every two weeks, over the long term my hair became very damaged. Also my hair texture changed. Now that I am relaxed I only use heat when I deep condition. However, it does seem like when my hair stylist flat irons my hair its healthy and swinging, but when I try to do it its a disaster.

diligence

I'm so glad to hear that so many naturals are doing fine using heat regularly. I'm going to be taking my braids out soon and will be using heat. There is no way on earth I can function without it. Airdrying does nothing but leave my hair feeling like a brillo pad, and let's not talk about combing it after it's been airdried...ouch! I'm looking forward to using heat with protectant, as before I found LHCF, I did not know of the significance of using it before blowdrying/pressing. Apparently neither did my hairdressers all these years:ohwell:.

PinkSkates

Originally Posted by MoMo
I don't know if this has been stated or not, but I think frequent use of direct heat works wonders on natural hair while not so much on relaxed hair.

Hey MoMo...I think most long time members are aware of this; but maybe not the newer members. So I'm glad you posted this and you're right. Relaxed AA hair has been completely compromised by the permenant breaking of the hair bonds, which immediately strip it of all moisture, because any retention of moisture would reduce the effectiveness of the relaxer.
So applying direct heat regularly will most likely cause further damge resulting in extremely dry, thinning, breaking relaxed hair.
If I had a relaxer in my hair there is no way I would use direct heat on a regular basis. But my hair is chemical-free and my hair strands are very strong and I take very good care of my hair and scalp so that's why I have no problem supporting heat usage on healthy natural hair.

Muse

My hair hates heat also. When I was natural I used to press my hair every two weeks, over the long term my hair became very damaged. Also my hair texture changed. Now that I am relaxed I only use heat when I deep condition. However, it does seem like when my hair stylist flat irons my hair its healthy and swinging, but when I try to do it its a disaster.

Hi Spelmanlocks, were you using a heat protectant when you pressed every two weeks?

Muse

Thats definitely true in my case. I'm transitioning, so I dont have a FULL head of natural hair to work with, but I have 3+ inches of natural hair and about 3 inches of relaxed hair. My natural hair responds so well to direct heat as long as I use the correct products and temperature, but I have to be super careful and pay extra attention to the relaxed ends if I use heat on them. They will not hesitate to "leave" if they are not pleased :yep:

Wow same here! I'm half natural half relaxed and the relaxed parts are hanging on by a thread I need to cut them off but I will wait until I get more natural hair. My unrelaxed hair on the other hand....STRONG! When a shed hair falls sometimes I will try to pull it apart at the point closer to the root and it won't break! The relaxed parts snap easily but that could be because my old beautician use to apply the relaxer on my whole head each time so those parts have been processed MANY times. I can't wait until I am fully natural! I actually enjoy straightening my hair, it's fun for me:grin:

MichL

Wow same here! I'm half natural half relaxed and the relaxed parts are hanging on by a thread I need to cut them off but I will wait until I get more natural hair. My unrelaxed hair on the other hand....STRONG! When a shed hair falls sometimes I will try to pull it apart at the point closer to the root and it won't break! The relaxed parts snap easily but that could be because my old beautician use to apply the relaxer on my whole head each time so those parts have been processed MANY times. I can't wait until I am fully natural! I actually enjoy straightening my hair, it's fun for me:grin:

ITA with everything you said! I just hate to think of all the damage that's been done to my hair when using relaxers and how weak it is. I just wish my mom knew that you could get a comparable (or even better) straight effect with a minimal amount of heat, instead of slapping a relaxer on my head at 5 years old.

Oh well. At least I know now right?

CenteredGirl

Oh yeah, I HEAR you babe. ITA!!!! The heat isn't a growth magic bullet. You are quite right. Good looking out MSA:yep:

I was trying to be clear that using heat on the length of your hair does not affect your growth rate. Hair will still grow regardless of whether you flat iron/press/rollerset.

I agree that using heat is helps the retention rate for many people. It helps to keep your hair on your head when it's easier to detangle and maintain your hairstlye. If your ends aren't splitting or breaking off or needing to be trimmed because you use heat, then it is helping you to retain what you grow. In that case it may appear that your hair is growing faster/more because you are actually keeping more hair on your head than you would otherwise.

To say "I use heat frequently and my hair is still growing like a weed" or that "my hair is getting longer with heat" can imply that it's the heat usage that is causing your hair to grow when in fact it's heat usage that is helping you to retain what you grow.

I hope that's clear.

empressri

That means that I hope that all of the ladies here have Great success with this method. I am a Chicken, and probably will still flat iron only 2x a year.:look:

You and I both. I already had to cut some of my hair off cause all I did was flat iron before cause I didn't know what else to do with it. I just flat iron once or twice a year now for a trim and that's it. I refuse to have to cut my hair again :perplexed

But everyone else enjoy!! :yep:

Evolving78

i'm scared of heat. i tried it on my virgin hair and well it confirmed it for me. plus i sweat in my scalp, face, and neck, and i hair was trying to revert back quickly. i had that problem being relaxed too. roller sets and wraps worked better for me. now when i was relaxed, i really couldn't get down with air drying. i had to sit under the dryer.

naaturelle

Im transitioning as well, and I can't stay away from my CHI. For some time I was doing good with my Redken Smooth Down line and using CHI's heat protectants. I noticed the difference when i tried different products. Then, i didnt have to trim for almost a year, i been slacking as far as not hiding my ends at night and not using the protectants everytime heat is on my hair and i already had to trim it and i still see slight split ends.

i just got back on Chi's heat protectants and Smooth Down

cookie1

When you guys use heat protectants (Sabino) is the hair hard/ soft after drying? Is it hard/soft after flat ironing? The reason I ask is when I used Redkens protectant my hair was hard after blow drying but, kind of soft after flat ironing. When I use profective hair oil (protectant) it's softer after blow drying & flat ironing. So maybe, I need to try Sabino if that's not normal.

Muse

When you guys use heat protectants (Sabino) is the hair hard/ soft after drying? Is it hard/soft after flat ironing? The reason I ask is when I used Redkens protectant my hair was hard after blow drying but, kind of soft after flat ironing. When I use profective hair oil (protectant) it's softer after blow drying & flat ironing. So maybe, I need to try Sabino if that's not normal.

After using Sabino whether I blowdry only or flat iron my hair is soft and smooth. I can't keep my hands out of my hair! I have tried Redken Heat Glide and hated it! It made my hair stiff. Maybe I used too much but I still didn't like it, it felt very greasy to me when I poured it in my hands to apply it.

tapioca_pudding

I'm relaxed and I flat iron maybe every other week. I dry my hair either in braids under my pibbs or in a ponytail rollerset.

The blowdryer is what kills my hair, not my flat irons. I use a heat protectant and I keep my setting on a reasonable temp (I ain't scared to go past 300), DC every week, etc.

I don't think heat is the devil like people make it out to be. I think not knowing how to properly use heat is the devil. Educate yourself and proceed from there.

Ramya

I don't know how anyone could view heat as a growth aid. That's a stretch. :rolleyes:

It's the wording of your post. WE know that heat does not have any effect on growth but it MIGHT have an effect on retention. A newbie might not. :look:

CenteredGirl

I humbly thank you msa. I won't be cutting anymore. I think I know what I need to do after 6 years of struggling. Looking forward to your updates and know that you can count on my support. I think you are brilliant.:yep:
I meant to tell you earlier that your hair is beautiful...don't go cutting it anymore!

Originally Posted by MoMo

Hey MoMo...I think most long time members are aware of this; but maybe not the newer members. So I'm glad you posted this and you're right. Relaxed AA hair has been completely compromised by the permenant breaking of the hair bonds, which immediately strip it of all moisture, because any retention of moisture would reduce the effectiveness of the relaxer.
So applying direct heat regularly will most likely cause further damge resulting in extremely dry, thinning, breaking relaxed hair.
If I had a relaxer in my hair there is no way I would use direct heat on a regular basis. But my hair is chemical-free and my hair strands are very strong and I take very good care of my hair and scalp so that's why I have no problem supporting heat usage on healthy natural hair.

I so agree with your post Pinkskates! You have been just one of the amazing hair idols on this board that have helped me to work on acheiving my own hair goals! I am transitioning and have found that to be true for my hair! With all that I have learned from LHCF and being very careful when using heat my hair is doing great, growing and staying healthy. Everyone is different though, I see relaxed ladies on the board with thick healthy hair I could never achieve in all my years of relaxing. If it worked for me I would probably still relax:lick:... I think its a learning process and we eventually figure out what works for our individual heads of beautiful afro hair!:grin: