Does Anyone Still Do Bkts?

Theresamonet

I did a search and only saw threads from 2009-2010, when I know everyone was on the BKT bandwagon. But I didn't see any recent threads... After MANY years of eyeing this product, I've finally decided to try Softliss Chocolate BKT and wear my hair straight for a while. I'm still a bit nervous about a severe texture change and possible heat damage.

In addition to the Softliss, I've ordered the magic teflon tape to go over my FHI Heat flatiron, and some Sabino moisture block. I also plan to increase my DCs and moisturization prior to doing the BKT. Is there anything else I need to get or do to help minimize my chances of getting heat damage? I've had it before despite using quality tools and what I thought was adequate protection (Chi Silk Infusion).

I do. I'm happily bkt'd.

The formula I currently use is a salon only brand and has permanent effects. After years of doing temporary bkts I actually like the permanent result it gives me. Here is a thread I made about it.

https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/i-wasnt-expecting-this.786941/

The biggest thing I think bkt-ers have is that they use very high heat and multiple passes. From my experience this is not necessary. I usually do 2-3 passes at 370 when I bkt.

I'm not too sure about softliss bkt honestly. If I remember correctly people had issues with it making their hair too straight.

If someone is looking for a temporary result I would highly recommend QOD max organiq.

I do. I'm happily bkt'd.

The formula I currently use is a salon only brand and has permanent effects. After years of doing temporary bkts I actually like the permanent result it gives me. Here is a thread I made about it.

https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/i-wasnt-expecting-this.786941/

The biggest thing I think bkt-ers have is that they use very high heat and multiple passes. From my experience this is not necessary. I usually do 2-3 passes at 370 when I bkt.

I'm not too sure about softliss bkt honestly. If I remember correctly people had issues with it making their hair too straight.

If someone is looking for a temporary result I would highly recommend QOD max organiq.

@Napp I love the results you got with the BB cream! I've already ordered the Softliss, so I'll rock with that for now. I know that for most, Softliss over texlaxed hair was resulting in bone straight results, but I'm completely natural, so I don't think it will get too straight with the treatment alone... At least...I hope not. What are you using as a heat protectant? Also what makes the effects of the one you're currently using permanent?

@Napp I love the results you got with the BB cream! I've already ordered the Softliss, so I'll rock with that for now. I know that for most, Softliss over texlaxed hair was resulting in bone straight results, but I'm completely natural, so I don't think it will get too straight with the treatment alone... At least...I hope not. What are you using as a heat protectant? Also what makes the effects of the one you're currently using permanent?

I don't use any heat protection on my hair when do a bkt. I don't want anything to get in the way of the keratin from coating on my hair.

Idk what makes what I use permanent. I need to go over the ingredients. But so far I love the results.

I don't use any heat protection on my hair when do a bkt. I don't want anything to get in the way of the keratin from coating on my hair.

Idk what makes what I use permanent. I need to go over the ingredients. But so far I love the results.

I wouldn't dare put anything on while doing the BKT... I meant what do you use in general? Also, what's the brand of the bb treatment you're using, so I can look up the ingredients?

I wouldn't dare put anything on while doing the BKT... I meant what do you use in general? Also, what's the brand of the bb treatment you're using, so I can look up the ingredients?

Oh my heat protectant of choice is kms California tame frizz smoothing lotion and oil(serum)

I use rg cosmetics bb cream

I did a search and only saw threads from 2009-2010, when I know everyone was on the BKT bandwagon. But I didn't see any recent threads... After MANY years of eyeing this product, I've finally decided to try Softliss Chocolate BKT and wear my hair straight for a while. I'm still a bit nervous about a severe texture change and possible heat damage.

In addition to the Softliss, I've ordered the magic teflon tape to go over my FHI Heat flatiron, and some Sabino moisture block. I also plan to increase my DCs and moisturization prior to doing the BKT. Is there anything else I need to get or do to help minimize my chances of getting heat damage? I've had it before despite using quality tools and what I thought was adequate protection (Chi Silk Infusion).
What Magic Teflon tape ? How is it used ?

I used Global Keratin back in the day for like 2 years. It was great but I eventually had major breakage (ends were literally wearing away\ disappearing.) I was doing the high heat with a lot of passes (like 10).

I really liked the manageability/ humidity proof hair I had after treatments so I'm trying again next Thursday. I'm using Keratin Complex this time instead with only 2-3 passes.

Are you sure about using Sabino? The product isn't what it used to be, doesn't work for me at all anymore. Also, using products with too many cones and using only sulfate free shampoo is going to allow the cones build up. I honestly think cone build up may have had a lot to do with the breakage I experienced as well as others.

I used Global Keratin back in the day for like 2 years. It was great but I eventually had major breakage (ends were literally wearing away\ disappearing.) I was doing the high heat with a lot of passes (like 10).

I really liked the manageability/ humidity proof hair I had after treatments so I'm trying again next Thursday. I'm using Keratin Complex this time instead with only 2-3 passes.

Are you sure about using Sabino? The product isn't what it used to be, doesn't work for me at all anymore. Also, using products with too many cones and using only sulfate free shampoo is going to allow the cones build up. I honestly think cone build up may have had a lot to do with the breakage I experienced as well as others.

You know what... I didn't even think about how I'd remove the Sabino since I can't use sulfate shampoos... Ugh. I guess I could try a silicon free HP, but I don't even know if those work. I've always relied on silicones for that purpose. So, were you using any heat protectant when you were BKTing?

The fads we go through on this board...

I loved how BKT made my hair feel. But I couldn't take that much heat. I did it twice and my hair felt so good....

You know what... I didn't even think about how I'd remove the Sabino since I can't use sulfate shampoos... Ugh. I guess I could try a silicon free HP, but I don't even know if those work. I've always relied on silicones for that purpose. So, were you using any heat protectant when you were BKTing?
I ordered Sojourn Thermal Protection but won't receive it until sometime this weekend. I couldn't find the ingredients online, so I'm unsure of what's in it, but it's what a stylist suggested a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZW7L70/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

BTW..... I'm unsure if it was the looser curl pattern or texture change but my hair wasn't able to hold braids anymore. I would get a sewin and it would be really loose after a few days.

I did a lot of passes when applying the treatment back then but still had a lot of texture in my hair(way more than when relaxed); braids would just look and feel weeks old in a matter of days. Just want to mention that it since you are concerned about the texture change. It may not be your experience though.

Last edited:
My first time was good- but with repeated use my hair eventually became straight :( I dont know if its heat damage or the keratin or both! I love how my hair was though! It stayed straight! I do want to do it again at some point :giggle:

My first time was good- but with repeated use my hair eventually became straight :( I dont know if its heat damage or the keratin or both! I love how my hair was though! It stayed straight! I do want to do it again at some point :giggle:
How many treatments did you do and what brand did you use? I want my texture to be kinky straight without heat so that I can wear my own hair out more.

I used to do the CHI Enviro treatment a few years ago. I even got a bottle of the treatment still left over in my house. It definitely worked with helping keeping my hair frizz free and loosening my curls, but after getting a lot of shedding, and a huge setback when I decided to texlax my edges (even with the Enviro treatment, it never smoothed them out like it did to the rest of my hair), I was forced to do a BC two years ago. It works, but I don't think I'll ever go back to smoothing treatments or relaxers, not anytime soon at least

I used to do the CHI Enviro treatment a few years ago. I even got a bottle of the treatment still left over in my house. It definitely worked with helping keeping my hair frizz free and loosening my curls, but after getting a lot of shedding, and a huge setback when I decided to texlax my edges (even with the Enviro treatment, it never smoothed them out like it did to the rest of my hair), I was forced to do a BC two years ago. It works, but I don't think I'll ever go back to smoothing treatments or relaxers, not anytime soon at least
I'm straightening my hair next Thursday and thinking of trying the chi enviro smoothing system, I like my curls as they are, do curls revert back over time? I just don't want my hair to frizz up while straight, but I wear my hair natural 95% of the time.

@sizzle what brand, heat and passes did you use?

I believe I used the Soft Liss Chocolate kit...whatever it was it was the chocolate variety. 425 degrees on the flatiron was too high and I likely did 3 passes per section. I am very happy when bkt work for others...they have that thick hair with a lot of body. Genetically I am not blessed that way although my hair does grow.

Back