I NEED to learn how to make a BUN...

pearlygurl

Please Ladies, HELP ME!!!

Protective styles are the only thing I need to perfect in order to begin my hair growing journey. I've seen some of your albums and I too would love to rock a neat, silky and perfect bun. I have tried the little doughnut looking thing but that never worked and it just broke my hair. Then I tried one of those make a bun plastic things that are advertised on TV and my bun came out a HOT mess!!! I don't have this new site down yet so when I tried to do a search no results came up. For all you ladies who rock buns I need to know exactly what you USE to make your bun and exactly HOW you make your bun. TIA for any suggestions :)

AceH

Hey there :wave:

First, I make sure my hair is well moisturized :)

I lightly brush the lop layer into place so my hair is smooth.

I use an ouchless ponytail hold to make a ponytail (not too loose and definately not tight)

I cut the foot part of a black tube sock off and used the top part as my shaper. I roll the top part as to make a donut.

I slide that over my ponytail.

I moisturize the heck out of my ends, so they are pretty much saturated in product (soft sheen gold activator).

I seperate my ponytail in the middle and tuck the ends of my hair under the sock donut.

I use a headband like scrunchie made of velvet (comes in all colors, stretches and does not break my hair) to cover the base of my bun.

Pics in my album. HTH

Last edited:

pearlygurl

Thanks sooooo much....I'm cutting one of my dads socks up as we speak. I'll let you know how this works for me.

Any other suggestions?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I just grab my hair as if I were to make a ponytail, twirl it around until it shapes a round bun, tuck the ends under and pin it with u-shaped hair pins.

Boadicea

http://www.whirl-a-style.com is the official website but for some reason it's not coming up right now. It's a tool that you use to creat a perfect round bun. Look in my album, I have a lot of different styles in there and I used a whirl-a-style for the majority of them. I have a demonstration in my album too so you can see a picture of it until the website comes back up.

I bought mine at Claire's. I think the medium was $3-4

Last edited:

candibaby

thanks boadicea, your album is really helpful, I think i'll have to find one of those on my next trip to the mall. :)

pearlygurl

Thanks FlowerHair and Boadicea for your suggestions...by the way, Boadicea your hair is da BOOOOMB and then some :)

Babygurl

I dont use any shapers or donuts to make my bun, I put it in a ponytail and twirl the hair until it coils around the base of the ponytail and secure it with a scrunchie. Hope that helps.

Attachments

5.5 KB · Views: 74

Isis

When I wear a bun, I gather a low side ponytail, secure it with a silk or satin scrunchie, braid it and pin the braid under with Good Hair Day pins. I don't have a pic of it (i wore it a lot last year before I bought a camera) but I sure receive many compliments and looks with this side bun.

KinksnCurlz

1) gather hair in ponytail, use ouchless band to secure. Apply moisturizer to length of hair.

2) fan hair out w/ fine tooth comb (meaning length of hair is split in half and fanned out and in a circle ie. donut)

3) take heaviest section (usually bottom) and lightly twist under while gathering more hair around in a cirlce to create the donut. Always i have ends left out so i just tuck them under. The trick is to gather it loosely, that way, the bun is more full and much bigger.

4) Goody hair pains secure (use 3 - 12, 4 and 8 o'clock).

5) Elasta QP hair sheen.