How to style a bun

Honey01

Hi Ladies (and our one Gent),

I've tried for a very long time to get the hang of styling a bun (trying to get the protective stlyes down). I even purchased this litte plastic styling tool that is supposed to make a bun a "snap". Problem is, this contraption will probably literally snap my hair. It is very uncomfortable and you actually leave it IN the bun. Has anyone seen it? Anyhoo.. any advice on how to form a bun. My hair is still in layers, approaching shoulder length in the back but still shorter on the sides. Maybe my hair just isnt' long enough to wear a bun? Help!!!!

sweetcocoa

When my hair wouldn't make a thick bun, I helped it along. I purchased a bag of hair and took out enough to make one fat braid...looped covered ouchless band through the middle then hung it on a door knob and lossley do a 2 strand twist. Secured the end with another coated band. Then loosley pull back my hair and the the top of the twisted hair and attach it around my own hair(as if I were securing it back and didn't have the extra hair). Then I would blend my own hair through out the twisted hair and then twist it all(my own hair and the fake hair) into a bun. Because it is blended it looks totally natural. Use Allandra's /images/graemlins/wink.gif good hair day pins to secure it. I still do this when I want a really thick bun.