Henna Pros: I need henna help!

Papoose

The Phoenix
So, I think I'm finally ready to try henna. I went to mehandi.com, but jamila only has a 2009 batch. Where do you buy your henna & what brands do you use? I live in Houston & debated going to an Indian grocery to buy some. The problem with that is, I have no idea what brand to buy! Any help would be appreciated. :grin:

reeko43

I'm not a pro but Nupur Henna is a great brand to try if you decide to go to the Indian grocery. I am having great results with it and the price is right!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I buy all My Henna and Indigo from Mehandi.com I am Relaxed so I buy "Body Art Quality" for African American and Chemically Treated Hair.

I have been purchasing from them exclusively for 2 years.

Alta Angel

I use Celebration Henna from Mehandi.com since it has the highest dye content (to cover these greys!). The site is currently sold out, so I may try the Ancient Sunrise Purity Henna next. The Celebration henna is relatively easy to apply and is very easy to rinse out. I have a couple of pics in my latest Fotki folder from my first henna. I did a henna treatment/coloring this past weekend and the color came out much richer than the first time. It went from a more coppery tone to more of a red tone.

I use aloe vera juice and/or cranberry juice as my acid and distilled water in my henna paste. I always follow up the henna treatment by steaming with AO HSR conditioner mixed with olive oil and honey for 45 minutes.

Last edited:

JJamiah

I love Nupur brand and I also Love ayurnaturalbeauty.com where you can purchase Nupur.

Jamila was my first but Nupur is my keeper :)

LilMissSunshine5

I wanted to try henna as well, but it seems like the color only shows up faintly/in the sunlight...if you wanted a deeper/brighter red, would henna get you that? TIA

JJamiah

I tried and still have 1.5 bars of LUSH, Won't buy it again. Just was a nice expensive rinse down the sink :(

Alta Angel

From what I understand, henna cannot lighten your hair. If your natural color is black or a jet brown, henna essentially shows up like a red rinse. If your hair is a lighter brown, it will definitely show more color.

I wanted to try henna as well, but it seems like the color only shows up faintly/in the sunlight...if you wanted a deeper/brighter red, would henna get you that? TIA

demlew

I also use Nupur 9 blend. It's loaded with the good stuff like hibiscus, aloe, amla, and others. I mix with V05. I started with karishma, but it was a redder tint than I wanted.

kupenda

This thread is right on time!! I'm doing my first henna tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

JJamiah

Papoose I never recieved your mention sorry for the delay.

Yes it is the Nupur with the added ingredients.

My mix for this is really simple.

Vatika Oil and black tea water. This is a great Henna :)

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Sitting here with a head full of henna...I love this stuff :)

Ps I got my latest henna purchase from HennaSooq, and I got the Rajasthani Indian Henna. I got fast dye release(2-3 hrs). I mixed it with raspberry/hibiscus tea brewed with a lil clove powder added and ACV.

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF