I Made An Appointment To Relax My Hair.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Sounds like me. I did my own virgin relaxer in January, but last month I let a stylist do mine too for the first time in years and she used Affirm Lye sensitive Mild. I'm trying to be texlaxed, but she did a ton of smoothing too. It's too straight for me but still full. I'll let her do it again, but I'm gonna stop all that excess smoothing! LoL
I'm sitting under the dryer with conditioner in my hair.

The relaxer was Affirm lye.

I'm a little miffed because I told her not to do bone straight and since I can't detect nan wave in my head I'm guessing bone straight it is. I will live just will have to be extra diligent about protein treatments. The relaxer was on for 25 minutes but she did a ton of smoothing.

I had an inch of vaseline on my scalp and coating my hair so no burning.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
A less puffy version of what my hair looked like everyday.

Blow Dried Pre-trim My ends were covered in single strand knots.

Blow Dried Trimmed I wouldn't have been mad if she took another inch but whatevs.

The flat ironed pics are bootleg since the ends are bumped under. Just imagine these pics except shinier.

Overall, I'm happy with the results. I've got to watch some pincurl tutorials on the Tube of You.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It's looks great!

I'm right behind you!

I scheduled my appointment for Friday, December 16th. That gives me a few months to learn about caring for relaxed hair and will be right on time for the holidays.

ETA: Just called the salon to ask a few questions about getting the relaxer. Explained about the tangling, webbing, hair loss from relaxers at the edges, etc. Was advised to schedule a flat iron the week before so that detangling and trimming could happen then. Will also receive a consulation at the time about whether I should use chemicals. Good deal.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Your hair turned out nice! What will be ur new reggie?
I do have to figure out how to wrap my hair at night cuz pin curling gave me pageant hair.

No formal regimen. Wash as needed, deep conditioning at least once a month. Protein treatments every other month. Protective styling will be updos. When the new growth gets crazy wigs/half wigs
@Crackers Phinn

I'm glad you're happy and less stressed-- that's what is important. When WnG stopped working for my wiry gray I turned to Sisterlocks--something I never thought I would do. I was only uneasy about it the first six weeks but now 7 months into it, I love it.
How often are your retightenings and do they run as much as a car payment?

Transformer

I do have to figure out how to wrap my hair at night cuz pin curling gave me pageant hair.

No formal regimen. Wash as needed, deep conditioning at least once a month. Protein treatments every other month. Protective styling will be updos. When the new growth gets crazy wigs/half wigs

How often are your retightenings and do they run as much as a car payment?

I retighten every 8 weeks--just to stay on a regular schedule. I have been quoted $80.00 and $120.00. The person I'm currently using charges $120.00. However I took the class to do it myself and I have all the tools. The only problem is that I have a torn rotator cuff and have decided to pay until I decide to have the surgery.

As for the initial installation. I was quoted prices between $800 and believe it or not $2500. I selected an install for $1100 for my shortest length being about 9 inches in the front and 15 inches in the back--I refused to cut my anymore for the install where most requested that it be no longer than 5 inches. A week before deciding to go for Sisterlocks, I trimmed 4-5 inches off and I thought that was enough.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yep, This is the honeymoon period. I don't expect any buyers remorse until I have to deal with new growth.

Cool! :smile:

I've been reading the relaxed hair threads in prep for my December relaxer. Lots of relaxed ladies highly recommend Rusk products to help with the new growth. I'm going to keep reading the threads and look into the Rusk products. A good sign is that they are sold at the salon where I plan to get the relaxer. :up:

ETA: I know I will feel SOME regret once I relax, but I regret the hair loss I'm constantly experiencing now . . . more. I'm looking forward to braid outs on relaxed hair. I've never done that and am excited about getting some texture without all the drama. Yay! Wow: There's so much knowledge to transfer from my natural journey. :smile:

SuchaLady

This is gonna amount to you hustling backwards, young lady. I recommend studying the stickies in the hair care section for relaxed hair...101. :sekret:

Your relaxer looks really good and remember that moisture is your friend!

I agree with this ^^^

I dont recommend monthly DCs. I would do no fewer than twice a month.

In my opinion the best heads of relaxed hair (including my own :look:) have a regimen that mirrors:

-Shampoo 1x/week
-DC with every shampoo wash/1x per week
-Protein treatments 1-2 monthly depending on strength

*insert obligatory you know your hair better than I do disclaimer.*

Last edited:

I agree with this ^^^

I dont recommend monthly DCs. I would do no fewer than twice a month.

In my opinion the best head of relaxed hair (including my own :look:) Has a regimen that mirrors:

-Shampoo 1x/week
-DC with every shampoo wash/1x per week
-Protein treatments 1-2 monthly depending on strength

*insert obligatory you know your hair better than I do disclaimer.*

Agreed

Make Aphogee 2 minutes your friend. You'll never regret it

Last edited: