I Lost Lots of Hair After Co-Washing and Wet Bunning

I detangle with a fine tooth comb once every few weeks. I otherwise use a wide tooth comb and oil or condition my fingertips and then run my fingers through my hair to pull out shed hairs.

Once I get around to detangling with a smaller tooth comb, I lose a LOT of hair. IMO, you should not change your regimen, becaause my guess is your hair is "balanced" and doing so will only mess up a good thing, with the exception of detangling more often if it really worries you.

My mothers hair was FALLING OUT for a time. Though I gather a LOT of hair in my comb once I finally detangle well (meaning beyond what I do in the shower with a wide tooth comb), there is a BIG difference in the amount of hair we shed.

I agree with the others who have said it is highly unlikely you are losing an abnormal amount of hair. You would "KNOW" (meaning, you would be in tears, not calm or rational, crying, freaking out, holding the hair in your palms, etc., or doing whatever version of SEVERELY freaking out that would be more appropriate for you, depending on the type of person your are). I am a very calm person, and I doubt that if I were using a seriously unnatural amount of hair, my hair's condition would still be good enough that I would not be a mess over it, or that I would be curious or questioning over frightened.

I think your hair is fine. Like I said, if it really bothers you, style in a way that requires more detangling, or you can continue what you've been doing and observe your hair more. That is how I figured out the effects of not combing as often and thoroughly on my hair.

I hope your hair remains healthy.

Well, this would be back to rollersetting twice a week.:wallbash:
And NO co-washing. Rollersetting does my hair good. I can stretch 12-14 wks easy now without any tangles if I rollerset.

Drinking water, vitamins, proper diet, exercising (blood circulation) anything that attacks the INNER epidermal layer (note on INNER=INTERNAL)helps with shedding. There is NO product that is designed for external hairs that will help with shedding. if it does, the "shedding" is really breaking.

Yes! My hair seemed as if it wanted to lock. I may have to take it down or partially dry it first.

The thing about PS'ing for extended periods of time is that you HAVE to do an extensive detangle before and after the PS time period. if you don'
t, you could be doing more harm than good.

well im something like a 4b natural, and a few months back i did the co-washing thing and my hair was breaking a whole lot as soon as i went back to regular pooing and conditioning my hair stopped breaking, i dont think its for EVERYONE.

I think that you have to detangle everytime you co-wash. I remember earlier in the year that I followed the generic advice: "It is too much manipulation to be detangling everytime you co-wash especially if you are doing it everyday or every other day" and it resulted in me having several tangles and knots at RELAXER DAY. I lost a lot of hair guys. So, the next relaxer period, I continued with co-washing and detangled everytime and I lost no growth. If you detangle everytime, please take your time detangling and do it in sections and you will be fine. Also, find a conditioner to co-wash with a lot of slip. I am happy I didn't give up because co-washing has improved my texture and hair quality.

BUT IF YOU FINE HAIR, THEN MAYBE YOU NEED TO FORGO IT. ALL TOGETHER.

I noticed when I miss taking my vitamins for a couple of days my hair sheds alot more than normal. Try taking a good multi vitamin.....thats if you dont take one alreadyHTH:)

I had this same problem. I was co washing every day and leaving my hair wet in a ponytail. It worked some times but 3 times I got matting leading to major breakage not all shedding. Big ole balls of hair. I will co wash once or twice a week from now on. Protein did not keep the hair from matting.

Maybe I'm just paranoid after a setback in March. I want to co-wash so I can be WL:grin:

Yeah you're just being paranoid :yep:. Sound like regular old shedding to me, its just a weeks worth at a time instead of everyday.

You can make it to waist length without co-washing :look: My first 8 months of hair care I cowashed and bunned, but when winter hit I started rollersetting weekly. I prefer the rollersets because I lose less hair and had no tangles. I still retained my length by moisturizing and sealing my ends.

But to each their own. Do what works for you.:yep:

i cannot co wash and then bun. My hair knots up and tries to dread up on me. Esp. when I'm like months & months post relaxer..Maybe airdrying or bunning isnt for you. Maybe you should try blow drying on cool or rollersetting.

i cannot co wash and then bun. My hair knots up and tries to dread up on me. Esp. when I'm like months & months post relaxer..Maybe airdrying or bunning isnt for you. Maybe you should try blow drying on cool or rollersetting.

Ditto...I've never co washed, but airdrying and wash 'n go's leave me with tangled, matted hair everytime no matter how much I detangle beforehand. I also prefer rollersetting and then bunning because the hair is already "set," so when I take it out of the bun, my curls look soft and wavy. If I want that same bouncy look that I get from a fresh rollerset, I just "pineapple" my hair and I'm good to go.

Back