Confused about Poo

lovebug10

So I've been trying to research on this whole sulfate vs no sulfates and cones vs no cones. From my understanding if you use cones then you need a sulfate shampoo to remove them or else they will build up on your hair. Is this correct? If not can someone correct me?

I don't really use cones except for like 1 or 2 products that I use on occasion. Is this something I need to worry about?

Btw my hair is relaxed... i dont know if that makes a difference or not.

melissa-bee

:lachen: Your title cracked me up.

Yes cones can build up on your hair, but if you know your hair well, you will know when it needs to be clarified because it will stop reacting to products.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Girl, you title thread...just wrong!:lachen: :nono:
I don't get the sulfate/ non sulfate either, but supposedly, no sulfate is better because it does not dry out your hair.

manter26

:giggle: @ the title.

If you are using products with silicones, use a sulfate shampoo every once in a while. A clarifying shampoo will remove cone build up. Some types of silicones do not need to be washed out with sulfates- see below.

http://curlgirljourney.blogspot.com/2009/02/great-debate.html

Silicones fall into 3 categories: water soluble, slightly water soluble, and not water soluble. Just a few minutes ago I updated this list:

Silicones

Not water soluble (Will buildup in hair)
1. Cetearyl methicone
2. Cetyl dimethicone
3. Cyclopentasiloxane
4. Dimethicone
5. Dimethiconol
6. Stearyl dimethicone
7. Trimethylsilylamodimethicone

Slightly soluble (May cause buildup in hair but some have found will still wash out with cowash)
1. Amodimethicone
2. Cyclomethicone
3. Bis-Aminopropryl Dimethicone
4. Behenoxy dimethicone
5. Stearoxy dimethicone

“CG approved” Water Soluble (Will not buildup)
1. Dimethicone copolyol
2. Hydrolyzed wheat protein hydroxypropyl polysiloxane
3. Lauryl methicone copolyol
4. Silicones with PEG listed before it

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
You know, people who don't know hair lingo would be so confused :lol:

Yes cone buildup is removed with sulfate poo. How often you use it would depend on how much cones you use, but generally you don't need it every wash, in your case once every few weeks. You'll know when you have build up though: not responding to products like usual, it well feel different as well, like there's a film on your hair.

lamaria211

I use cones in my conditioners and cleansing conditioners to wash and I have no build up issues:)hth

lovebug10

This is very good to know. Thanks for all the info ladies! And sorry about the title. I realize that after I made this thread I should have probably spelled out shampoo (oops!).

I wanted to try using the DB cleansing conditioner but I was worried that I would get cone buildup. But I guess I will use that and just have to use a sulfate shampoo every once in a while. Can I also use a chelating shampoo? I have hard water and I've had my eye on the Joico KPak Chelating shampoo. I'm just not sure if it will also remove cones.

claud-uk

Alright ladies, let's keep it clean :lol:

Sulfates are great for removing cones but they also strip your hair of its natural oils, so best to keep the use of sulfate poos to a minimum. Maybe a cleansing conditioner for regular use and then a sulfate poo once a month or something?